• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is the God of Christianity, Judaism, and Islam the same deity?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
An idea from another thread, is the God of Christianity, Judaism, and Islam the same Deity? Do you have any scripture or other evidence to back up your argument?

cheers

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I think they do. Having the same deity isn't the same as having the same religion/faith. This is just my opinion, I have no scripture to back it up as of now.
TTFN, tata for now. :tigger:

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Since I believe there is only one god, yes.

I think we all worship the same God. We just do it differently.

loverOfTruth

An idea from another thread, is the God of Christianity, Judaism, and Islam the same Deity? Do you have any scripture or other evidence to back up your argument?

cheers

God of Islam and Judaism - yes.
God of Christianity - depends. If you are just talking about the Father part, yes. You add anything else to it - such as Son, Holy Ghost etc. and it becomes a No. Reason being - we all worship our Creator but Muslims or Jews do not believe that Jesus or Holy Ghost is the Creator of the universe just the Father.

Levite

Higher and Higher

Well, since I believe there is only One God, then by definition, yes, all those religions are worshipping the same god. For that matter, I think all the other religions are worshipping Him, too, even if they use different names for Him, even if they make some mistakes about His nature, even if they don't recognize that He is One, and think that He is many.

God is God.

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student

cheers

Hello disciple, the answer to this question is fundamental I believe.

Since there is only one Creator of all things, he is naturally the only true God in existence.

There is a usurper however, who claimed that man could be "like God" if he unleashed "the knowledge of good and evil". What he was really saying is, 'if you do what I say....I will 'become like God' because you will be doing MY bidding instead of his'.

God allowed him to prove that he was right. What has he proved so far?

In this situation a multiplicity of gods was created by the original deceiver to siphon off worship for himself. He goes under many names but there is only one "true God" as Jesus said. (John 17:3) This multiplicity of gods has not brought mankind anything but trouble and division. Most of the wars in history have been fought under religious banners.

Since all humanity have the same Creator, they "should" all be worshipping the same God, particularly the Abrahamic religions because Abraham is the forefather of Judaism, Islam and Christianity.

It is when man changes the identity of God to suit themselves, rather than changing themselves to suit God that the problem begins. Even Christianity has fallen victim to satan's tricks by turning the one God of Judaism into a three headed deity who somehow supports all the things God condemns.

The apostle Peter said of the present world system of things, "Since all these things are thus to be dissolved, what sort of persons ought you to be in holy acts of conduct and deeds of godly devotion, awaiting and keeping close in mind the presence of the day of Jehovah....Hence, beloved ones, since you are awaiting these things, do your utmost to be found finally by him spotless and unblemished and in peace". (2 Pet 3:11-14)

God's true worshippers in this time of the end will not have blood on their hands.
In a world full of war and violence...they will be at peace because they are no part of this world or its activities. They are actively promoting peace in their individual lives. (Matt 5:9; 1 Pet 3:10-12)

Paul wrote,
"Return evil for evil to no one. Provide fine things in the sight of all men. If possible, as far as it depends upon you, be peaceable with all men. Do not avenge yourselves, beloved, but yield place to the wrath; for it is written: “Vengeance is mine; I will repay, says Jehovah.” But, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by doing this you will heap fiery coals upon his head.” Do not let yourself be conquered by the evil, but keep conquering the evil with the good." (Rom 12:17-21)

Talk, as they say, is cheap. Don't look at what people say...look for the peaceful ones who are living the example of Christ Jesus and his apostles. These are "no part of the world" and they do not 'return evil for evil to anyone' (for any reason) but provide a solid record of 'loving even their enemies' as Jesus instructed. (Matt 5:43-48)

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
@ JayJayDee

If you didn't have the trinity, that's when you would have multiple gods...if you believe in the divinity of Jesus.

Rise

John 4
19 “Sir,” the woman said, “I can see that you are a prophet. 20 Our ancestors worshiped on this mountain, but you Jews claim that the place where we must worship is in Jerusalem.”
21 “Woman,” Jesus replied, “believe me, a time is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. 22 You Samaritans worship what you do not know; we worship what we do know, for salvation is from the Jews. 23 Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. 24 God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.”
25 The woman said, “I know that Messiah” (called Christ) “is coming. When he comes, he will explain everything to us.”
26 Then Jesus declared, “I, the one speaking to you—I am he.”

The lesson here: Just because you claim, or think, you're worshipping the same God, doesn't mean you actually are.

I am reminded of the many times in the old testament where people have to refer to God as "The God of Abraham, Issac, and Jacob". As though they had to assert to the hebrews listening that although they thought they were worshipping God with their ways, they actually weren't, that the man coming to them actually was in communion with the God of their forefathers, the God they were suppose to be worshipping but no longer were because they were no longer aware of the truth of who He is and what He wants of them.

Last edited:

MatthiasGould

Alhamdulillah!
Yes. In Hebrew the stem El- comes from the same proto-Semitic word which gave the Arabic Allah and Ellah in Aramaic. The term Allah was used by Palestinian Christians and Jews well before Islam came.

Similarly, Islam accepts that at the time of their original revelations, the Tawrah and Gospel of Jesus (which is not the same as the Gospels of today) were entirely valid revelations. Why would this be a teaching of Islam if the God of those books and scriptures was not the one of all three religions?

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep

cheers

Not all members of the same faith have the same god. Why would you assume members from differing faiths have any better luck?

Rise

Goes back to John 4.
The Samaritans had the Torah, they thought they were worshipping and honoring God, but they believed in a deception and therefor "knew not what they worshipped".

To worship God you first have to know Him.

Jesus turns away those who claimed to know Him, claimed to do things in His name, but never actually knew Him.

Matthew 7
21 Not everyone who says to Me, Lord, Lord, will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father Who is in heaven.
22 Many will say to Me on that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name and driven out demons in Your name and done many mighty works in Your name?
23 And then I will say to them openly (publicly), I never knew you; depart from Me, you who act wickedly [disregarding My commands].

It gets back to the same principle that God must be worshipped in spirit and truth.
You can't claim you worship and follow Jesus/Yahveh without actually having a relationship with Him whereby you know the truth of who He is and then do what He says.

Dingbat

Goes back to John 4.
The Samaritans had the Torah, they thought they were worshipping and honoring God, but they believed in a deception and therefor "knew not what they worshipped".

To worship God you first have to know Him.

Jesus turns away those who claimed to know Him, claimed to do things in His name, but never actually knew Him.

Matthew 7
21 Not everyone who says to Me, Lord, Lord, will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father Who is in heaven.
22 Many will say to Me on that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name and driven out demons in Your name and done many mighty works in Your name?
23 And then I will say to them openly (publicly), I never knew you; depart from Me, you who act wickedly [disregarding My commands].

It gets back to the same principle that God must be worshipped in spirit and truth.
You can't claim you worship and follow Jesus/Yahveh without actually having a relationship with Him whereby you know the truth of who He is and then do what He says.

So only Christians have a true relationship with God? Fascinating.:sarcastic

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
John 4
19 “Sir,” the woman said, “I can see that you are a prophet. 20 Our ancestors worshiped on this mountain, but you Jews claim that the place where we must worship is in Jerusalem.”
21 “Woman,” Jesus replied, “believe me, a time is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. 22 You Samaritans worship what you do not know; we worship what we do know, for salvation is from the Jews. 23 Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. 24 God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.”
25 The woman said, “I know that Messiah” (called Christ) “is coming. When he comes, he will explain everything to us.”

The lesson here: Just because you claim, or think, you're worshipping the same God, doesn't mean you actually are.

I am reminded of the many times in the old testament where people have to refer to God as "The God of Abraham, Issac, and Jacob". As though they had to assert to the hebrews listening that although they thought they were worshipping God with their ways, they actually weren't, that the man coming to them actually was in communion with the God of their forefathers, the God they were suppose to be worshipping but no longer were because they were no longer aware of the truth of who He is and what He wants of them.

What is your opinion on the divinity of Jesus and the trinity?

theblancoone

They all believe in the same God, though, the Christian God is described as love while the Muslim God is not. Ans Christians do believe in the same God as the Jews, they just believe in his new covenant, Jesus.

Rise

What is your opinion on the divinity of Jesus and the trinity?

I know, and I see in scripture, that Jesus is God, that the Holy Spirit is God, that Jesus is the Holy Spirit, and that God is one.

Jesus, the Father, the Holy Spirit, these are one.

Shermana

Heretic
John 4

That verse doesn't mean the Samaritans are worshiping a different god, it means they don't know (as in "know personally" not "know of") the god they are worshiping.

There's a reason however why The god of Israel is articulated as THE god but it's not necessarily related to this instance.

I know, and I see in scripture, that Jesus is God, that the Holy Spirit is God, that Jesus is the Holy Spirit, and that God is one.

Jesus, the Father, the Holy Spirit, these are one.

And I see in scripture that it doesn't say that unless you twist the heck out of the grammar and ignore the scholarly counter-arguments, relying on orthodox Trinitarian church tradition, ignore Jewish theological context like the "Logos Theology" and go by interpolated passages like the Comma Johannum in 1 John 5:7.

You're a King James only I presume?

Last edited: