• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is religion making us all stupid ?

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
You have a big chip, on your shoulder,
Not at all. The only chips I have are the macadamia nuts in my cookies. Yum.
your not understanding what I am saying
I understand you perfectly. I see the flaws in your logic and am trying to help you understand them. Perhaps, you're not understanding me. Just because I'm a theist, doesn't mean I'm stupid. Just because you're an atheist, doesn't make you smart.
it might be better if you don't discuss with me any further.
When you post biased garbage, you should expect people who disagree to respond. I haven't been mean. I haven't been purposely unreasonable. If you don't want to continue the discussion, then stop responding. Simple that.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Not at all. The only chips I have are the macadamia nuts in my cookies. Yum.

I understand you perfectly. I see the flaws in your logic and am trying to help you understand them. Perhaps, you're not understanding me. Just because I'm a theist, doesn't mean I'm stupid. Just because you're an atheist, doesn't make you smart.

When you post biased garbage, you should expect people who disagree to respond. I haven't been mean. I haven't been purposely unreasonable. If you don't want to continue the discussion, then stop responding. Simple that.
Ha, there you go again, look, its a well known fact that atheist over all are more intelligent, that doesn't mean all religious are behind the eight ball, so please stop taking it personal,.........oh yea, I like the one about the macadamia nuts.:)

JakofHearts

2 Tim 1.7
its a well known fact that atheist over all are more intelligent
That gave me a chuckle.

Atheists have been around for thousands of years, and as always, have always been irrelevant, yet reliant on Christianity's tolerance.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
That gave me a chuckle.

Atheists have been around for thousands of years, and as always, have always been irrelevant, yet reliant on Christianity's tolerance.
Yes if these people need a god and a savoir to do good then of course we need that, but its sad isn't it that they can't just simple be good without their god and savior, a bit too childish fro me.

JakofHearts

2 Tim 1.7
Yes if these people need a god and a savoir to do good then of course we need that, but its sad isn't it that they can't just simple be good without their god and savior, a bit too childish fro me.
People do not believe out of morals, but because it is simply an inherent truth.

The problem for atheists is they have to struggle with the fact that they're not, and have never been crucial in human affairs and in intellect, which is why I get a chuckle out of your delusions.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
People do not believe out of morals, but because it is simply an inherent truth.

The problem for atheists is they have to struggle with the fact that they're not, and have never been crucial in human affairs and in intellect, which is why I get a chuckle out of your delusions.
What planet are you on ?,

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Excuse me?
What you said is completely wrong, you have taken what free thinking people believe and twisted it to suite your own belief just because you can't take it, if not for free thinking people who think outside of religion we would probably be back in the dark-ages.

JakofHearts

2 Tim 1.7
What you said is completely wrong, you have taken what free thinking people believe and twisted it to suite your own belief just because you can't take it, if not for free thinking people who think outside of religion we would probably be back in the dark-ages.
iZ71zta.jpg

Everything I said is a historical fact. Your version of "free thinker" is completely idiotic, and I have yet to see anything of substance to come out of your "free thinking" mind other than the same cringe worthy rhetoric you do elsewhere. You spout out a lot of nonsense backed up with zero facts and a whole lot pseudo historical nonsense.
If you want to create threads about 'hating religion' in a debating forum, at least arm yourself with some actual coherent arguments, else I can really only say that this thread was only created to expose your own sense of self worth.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
iZ71zta.jpg

Everything I said is a historical fact. Your version of "free thinker" is completely idiotic, and I have yet to see anything of substance to come out of your "free thinking" mind other than the same cringe worthy rhetoric you do elsewhere. You spout out a lot of nonsense backed up with zero facts and a whole lot pseudo historical nonsense.
If you want to create threads about 'hating religion' in a debating forum, at least arm yourself with some actual coherent arguments, else I can really only say that this thread was only created to expose your own sense of self worth.
Settle down, I haven't said anything about hating anyone, your the one who seems to have that trait, this thread was created to point out the fundamentalist that do rob people of their intelligence, they take away the inquiring mind and reduce it to a prison of dogma, they hate science because science exposes their lies just by their discoveries, if your not in this group, then this thread isn't pointing at you, but if the hat fits, then wear it baby.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Christian fundamentalists are not to be confused with mainstream evangelical Christians. While Christian fundamentalists may be evangelical, not every evangelical Christian is necessarily a fundamentalist. The symptoms of the infection of anti-intellectualism are as follows:

1. Erosion of education — escalating attacks on teachers as bad citizens, teachers’ unions as greedy “takers”, the evolution vs. creationism debate, resistance to stem cell research (or any kind of scientific research that conflicts with their Biblical worldview), fundamentalist emphasis on voucher system to create taxpayer funded fundamentalist schools, fear of a changing, increasingly pluralistic society (the current face of which is the extraordinary power fundamentalists give to the LGBT community as the force eroding American morality and bringing down the entire nation), and a negative economy which is generating public support by those who consider themselves members of the Religious Right by demonizing public education as a “liberal conspiracy” to take their children away from God.

2. Biblical Literalism: The Bible is the foundation of “truth,” from science to social interactions, and anything that disagrees with a fundamentalist interpretation of the Bible is a product of Satanic manipulation, of which the by-product of Satan is secularism.

3. Oversimplification: The idea that there is a clear right and wrong (based on Biblical laws, or cherry-picked verses), the universe is either moral or immoral, and that so-called “assaults” on religious “freedom” of fundamentalists signify an invisible war between the forces of God (or “good”) and the forces of Satan (or “evil”).

4. Assertion of the patriarchal right to control women: To fundamentalists, women are second-class citizens, subject to a strict social hierarchy. This hierarchy can be observed in every stripe of fundamentalism, from Islamic fundamentalism to Christian fundamentalism and it goes like this:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So what's your point? True, atheists have often been an abused and powerless minority, but neither have they been the agents of thousands of years of religious war and persecution.
If that were the case I'd expect a lot more homogeneity amongst the religious than I see.
How is that a struggle? We're a mistrusted minority, always have been, that's just the way it is. The religious, apparently, feel threatened by us.
"...crucial in human affairs?" What does that mean? It's not like religion has a particularly admirable track record in human history.
"...crucial in intellect?" Again what are you getting at? Have you not noticed the atheist prominence amongst academics and scientists?

Last edited:

JakofHearts

2 Tim 1.7
It really comes down to, or what I am curious about, is why do nonbelievers think they are intellectually superior?

From what I understand, atheism is rather laughable.

@Valjean And yes, atheism is a non subject in historical relevance and in philosophical matters.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Susan Jacoby, author of “The Age of American Unreason” and “Freethinkers” sums up the problem of fundamentalist anti-intellectualism succintly:

This mindless tolerance, which places observable scientific facts, subject to proof, on the same level as unprovable supernatural fantasy, has played a major role in the resurgence of both anti-intellectualism and anti-rationalism.

JakofHearts

2 Tim 1.7
Susan Jacoby, author of “The Age of American Unreason” and “Freethinkers” sums up the problem of fundamentalist anti-intellectualism succintly:

This mindless tolerance, which places observable scientific facts, subject to proof, on the same level as unprovable supernatural fantasy, has played a major role in the resurgence of both anti-intellectualism and anti-rationalism.
From what I've seen of your posting habits, you aren't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed.

I doubt you know anything about that stuff, or at least on an intimate level.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Interesting visual. I assume it's meant to illustrate that freethinkers are not free thinkers.
I would disagree. Freethinkers are persuaded by evidence, not authority. When the preponderance of evidence points to a particular conclusion you can expect the majority of atheists to adopt it. It's not the "bishops" we follow, but the facts that have persuaded the bishops. You could just as well put the sheep in front.

It seems to me it's the religious who are inordinately influenced by authority. We freethinkers would be better depicted as cats. When we have clear evidence of tuna, we come together, otherwise we go our own way.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
From what I've seen of your posting habits, you aren't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed.

I doubt you know anything about that stuff, or at least on an intimate level.
Well I was sadly a Christian for many years and I was also caught up in the dogma of my religion, I probably know more about it than you ?.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
It really comes down to, or what I am curious about, is why do nonbelievers think they are intellectually superior?

From what I understand, atheism is rather laughable.

@Valjean And yes, atheism is a non subject in historical relevance and in philosophical matters.

Jak - I would say that often, when believers claim their answers come from religion they are being intellectually dishonest.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Jak - I would say that often, when believers claim their answers come from religion they are being intellectually dishonest.
Yes this is it, many don't or are to frightened to think for themselves, this is how my church treated me, I had to ask the right questions in bible group studies, and week after week they say the same old things over and over..........I just had to escape lol.

JakofHearts

2 Tim 1.7
Seems to be always the case with atheists today, they were originally a "Christian" or brought up in a Christian religious home, and I think this is where the underlying problem stemmed from. They obtain a child's conception of God.

I assume that would be the case for many here, atheists, satanists, etc.