• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is religion making us all stupid ?

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I'll just simply say again,
Actually, you're posting and not saying.
religion can make us dumb,

73cb0cd0936454b36005fe876568da69.jpg

As much as atheism or any other dogma, for that fact.
its well known fact,

e14.jpg

It's not even a fact, much less 'well known'. It's just your bias showing through trying to act superior. That you can't see that makes me question your own intelligence.
I was one of those so I know what I am talking about, but do you ?.

images

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Actually, you're posting and not saying.

73cb0cd0936454b36005fe876568da69.jpg

As much as atheism or any other dogma, for that fact.

e14.jpg

It's not even a fact, much less 'well known'. It's just your bias showing through trying to act superior. That you can't see that makes me question your own intelligence.

images
It doesn't matter if you like it or not, its the way it is, if you cannot handle it then stay away from anything that goes against what you believe, and live in your little word of happiness.:)

Scuba Pete

It doesn't matter if you like it or not,
I guess that's one way to justify bias and bigotry. I guess you can't expect eloquence from such.

You have presented -zero- facts to support any of this. Why should I accept your bias as being true? Just because you 'said' it? And you want me to believe that you're more intelligent than myself just because you're an athiest? Ain't happenin'.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I guess that's one way to justify bias and bigotry. I guess you can't expect eloquence from such.

You have presented -zero- facts to support any of this. Why should I accept your bias as being true? Just because you 'said' it? And you want me to believe that you're more intelligent than myself just because you're an athiest? Ain't happenin'.
You are very insecure, nowhere did I say i was better than you, nowhere did I say all religious are dumb, I asked the question, "is religion making us dumb", because I know it mad me dumb once, we dumber than I am now lol..........do you get it now ?.

Scuba Pete

do you get it now ?.
I completely disagree with you... why can't you accept that? You have tried to show superiority through having a higher intelligence by being an atheist. It doesn't appear that your switch to atheism has helped your comprehension of logic one whit. Again, you've provided absolutely and unequivocally no evidence to support your premises or your conclusions. Just your wishful thinking and biased wishful thinking at that.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
@Scuba Pete

no matter what else happens in this thread - your football officials are fantastic! where did you find those?

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I completely disagree with you... why can't you accept that? You have tried to show superiority through having a higher intelligence by being an atheist. It doesn't appear that your switch to atheism has helped your comprehension of logic one whit. Again, you've provided absolutely and unequivocally no evidence to support your premises or your conclusions. Just your wishful thinking and biased wishful thinking at that.
Look you are a very insecure person, you are so over whelmed with your beliefs, that you cannot see the truth that is in front of you, brighten up[ baby !,.

Scuba Pete

Look you are a very insecure person, , you are so over whelmed with your beliefs,

e5c.jpg

Stop projecting. Stop with the ad hominem. Stop with the constant ridicule and condescension. There's no need to resort to such emotional and baseless accusations. Stop attacking -me- and address the concerns I have given you. To whit, provide us at least a bit of proof for your biased beliefs that atheists have a superior IQ. You keep making the same biased assertions without any evidence to support them.
your football officials are fantastic! where did you find those?
OK, I won't be selfish, Just google "referee fallacy meme". You can also Google any fallacy and find lots of memes to help get the message across. The one that fits @psychoslice best is this one (except he's provided us absolutely no evidence):

2c5.jpg

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Again, you've provided absolutely and unequivocally no evidence to support your premises or your conclusions. Just your wishful thinking and biased wishful thinking at that.
Have you tried googling? The surveys and studies are out there.
@Scuba Pete
no matter what else happens in this thread - your football officials are fantastic! where did you find those?
We specially bred them. They're chimpanzee-zebra crosses.:D

Scuba Pete

Have you tried googling? The surveys and studies are out there.
I've seen more than a few, but none of them demonstrate that becoming a theist reduces your IQ. None have proven that becoming an atheist increases your IQ. There's no substantial correlation that can be drawn here, other than that most atheists are single white males and that IQ tests are slanted in their favor. Please, if you have a definitive study I've managed to overlook, trot it out. It's not my duty to present your evidence for you. If you say the evidence exists, then the onus is on you to produce it.

The only evidence presented by @psychoslice is purely anecdotal. The "I'm smarter now that I'm an atheist" argument is laughable due to it's absurdity and irony. If one were truly 'smart', then they should be able to see the fallacy in using their own personal experience as proof. There were no IQ measurements before or after, just a vague feeling of superiority for breaking from what appears to be an abusive situation.

I get the need to validate your beliefs with arguments that make you feel superior. That's neither logic or proof, but rather an insidious bias that leads to full blown bigotry. I find it more than distressing that you succumb to these baser human desires at the expense of truth and kindness.

In fact, using cold data and your biased logic, we could say compared to Hong Kong, being an American makes you dumber. There's a 10 point difference right there. But is the difference causal or coincidental? Is ti due to genetics or environment? The question of IQ is not as simple as you or @psychoslice would have us believe.

https://iq-research.info/en/page/average-iq-by-country

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I've seen more than a few, but none of them demonstrate that becoming a theist reduces your IQ. None have proven that becoming an atheist increases your IQ. There's no substantial correlation that can be drawn here, other than that most atheists are single white males and that IQ tests are slanted in their favor. Please, if you have a definitive study I've managed to overlook, trot it out. It's not my duty to present your evidence for you. If you say the evidence exists, then the onus is on you to produce it.
Good point. Was someone saying becoming a theist or atheist affects IQ? I hadn't picked up on that. I have the feeling I'm being included in a camp of someone else's making.
I get the need to validate your beliefs with arguments that make you feel superior. That's neither logic or proof, but rather an insidious bias that leads to full blown bigotry. I find it more than distressing that you succumb to these baser human desires at the expense of truth and kindness.
Isn't this what Psychoslice is accusing you of?
Me, I'm not accusing anyone of anything.
In fact, using cold data and your biased logic, we could say compared to Hong Kong, being an American makes you dumber. There's a 10 point difference right there. But is the difference causal or coincidental? Is ti due to genetics or environment? The question of IQ is not as simple as you or @psychoslice would have us believe.
You misunderstand me. I'm in agreement, here. You're imputing an attitude and opinion I haven't ascribe to. My post #290 was referring to surveys like the Pew Forum's, finding that atheists knew more about religion than the religious did. I'm not saying anything about IQ -- at this point....;)

Scuba Pete

Good point. Was someone saying becoming a theist or atheist affects IQ? I hadn't picked up on that. I have the feeling I'm being included in a camp of someone else's making.
It's cunningly hidden in the title of the thread
psychoslice said:
Is religion making us all stupid ?

Isn't this what Psychoslice is accusing you of?
Not really. He's accusing me of being an insecure person, overwhelmed by my beliefs, having a chip on my shoulder, etc. etc. It's a typical ad hominem attack. Instead of showing how my ideas and beliefs are wrong, he simply tries to destroy me instead. It's not working, and no matter how hard he tries to belittle me and my logic, we stand firm. I'm not about to let anyone's bias or even bigotry make me feel inferior.
Me, I'm not accusing anyone of anything.
Good for you.
You misunderstand me.
Well, you were suggesting that I could Google the information @psychoslice was referring to. In the future, if you change directions, you might want to signal your intent. I'm not psychic and can't read minds. I assumed we were on the same subject and had no indication from you that our topic had changed even slightly. As for the reliability of surveys, studies and the like, I would quote Samuel Clemons, aka Mark Twain: "There are lies, damn lies and statistics!" The only person who really knows what they believe is the individual holding to those beliefs. Too many try to stuff their interpretation or assumption of what someone believes down their throat. The motives are probably as diverse as the misconceptions paraded around as truth. In other words, how could an atheist claim to know more than the person with the beliefs? It just doesn't make sense and seems to be one of those studies carefully designed to suggest some sort of superiority. I can do without that kind of bias presented as science. It's only pseudo-science at that point.

icehorse

Premium Member
I'm curious to know how you guys are defining "stupid"?

It could mean ignorant?
It could mean low IQ?

icehorse

Premium Member
@psychoslice refers to IQ tests. He's the OP, so that's how I'm reading it.

In which case, it really ought to be a sort of "nature vs. nurture" discussion which could get really weird.

My contention would be that in many situations, a heavy emphasis on religion can impose a level of ignorance on an individual. E.g., there are many on RF who look to scripture for science lessons.

Scuba Pete

religion can impose a level of ignorance
This is true of theists and atheists alike. Either can be abusive. Either can be sheeple. Either can rely on emotions for their beliefs. Either can claim superiority of some fashion. In other words, either can by biased and even bigoted. For that matter, neither have incontrovertible truth other than their own faith. There is no superiority. The only difference is one believes in a God or Gods and the other does not. We are all human and subject to human strengths and frailties. That's the bottom line. We are equal.

icehorse

Premium Member
This is true of theists and atheists alike. Either can be abusive. Either can be sheeple. Either can rely on emotions for their beliefs. Either can claim superiority of some fashion. In other words, either can by biased and even bigoted. For that matter, neither have incontrovertible truth other than their own faith. There is no superiority. The only difference is one believes in a God or Gods and the other does not. We are all human and subject to human strengths and frailties. That's the bottom line. We are equal.

Sure, no one is saying that these things are 100% true. Of course everything is shades of gray. But ANYONE who puts a lot of emphasis on any one book, especially one that has to be extensively cherry-picked, is going to have to fight against the ignorance that such an approach often creates.

Scuba Pete

especially one that has to be extensively cherry-picked, is going to have to fight against the ignorance that such an approach often creates.
Watch it... your bias is showing. Your experience isn't everyone's experience. What may be difficult for you to accept, might very well be easy as pie for me. Such is faith and atheists rely on that as much as any theist. There is no superiority in belief of disbelief. There never was. There never will be.

I don't feel I had to fight against ignorance: only bias. I see the Scriptures as a most Christians do, a collected blog of humanity looking for God. It's got it's flaws, but then it tells us to love each other and it all becomes worth it. If you read between the lines, you can see how man's biases have him trying to blame God for all sorts of things. That's not God's problem.

Again, if you want to show me that you're a superior human being, do it with kindness, patience and service to other human beings. I'll applaud no matter what being you do or do not believe in.

icehorse

Premium Member
Watch it... your bias is showing. Your experience isn't everyone's experience. What may be difficult for you to accept, might very well be easy as pie for me. Such is faith and atheists rely on that as much as any theist. There is no superiority in belief of disbelief. There never was. There never will be.

This isn't about bias, it's about logic. Someone who relies on one book will be ignorant compared to someone who has learned from a 1000 books.