• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is religion making us all stupid ?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think that to believe that religion is making "us all" stupid is to believe in the One Mind.
I don't believe in the one mind so I can't believe that religion is making us all stupider.

In fact, I see a lot of problems with that question.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I think that to believe that religion is making "us all" stupid is to believe in the One Mind.
I don't believe in the one mind so I can't believe that religion is making us all stupider.

In fact, I see a lot of problems with that question.
There is a problem with all questions, that's why its question, its out there for whatever way you want to answer the question, its just my opinion that the world seem to be going ape sh## with religion.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There is a problem with all questions, that's why its question, its out there for whatever way you want to answer the question, its just my opinion that the world seem to be going ape sh## with religion.
I also perceive that people are getting stupider. I don't think it is religion doing it and I don't think whatever it is is making us ALL stupider.

The question again is:
Is religion making us all stupid ?

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
Yes there is a lot of evidence that religion is certainly making us stupid, just look at the world today, what the......is happening, we all seem to be going backwards, so yes, what do you think, are we getting more stupid, I believe we are.

Or are we making religion stupid?

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Or are we making religion stupid?
Yes that can be true as well, but if your particular religion has words within its scriptures that can be dangerous to those who use those words literally, then yes religion can be dangerous from its own making. Much of religion came from backward thinking and superstition that should of been left behind years ago,

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Who is the 'they'? I know no other Advaita person beyond myself. But really, some religious philosophies are very intelligent and improve our understanding of the world. Do you think of 'religion' as just old school narrow stuff?

I believe it is a severe stretch to equate an artificial measure of intelligence with a religious philosophy, but nonetheless Advaita Vedanta, is an admirably religious belief with a long history.

Many YEC fundamentalists have a high IQ.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I believe it is a severe stretch to equate an artificial measure of intelligence with a religious philosophy, but nonetheless Advaita Vedanta, is an admirably religious belief with a long history.

Many YEC fundamentalists have a high IQ.
This can be true, but more important than high IQ is EQ, emotional intelligence.

Segev Moran

I don't abuse anyone, I may not like what they believe, but people are not their beliefs, as we are not what we wear, if I don't like your tie, that doesn't mean I don't like you.

Your entitled to like whatever you wish.
Beliefs are harmless... until being taken as reality.
Once you begin to consider your beliefs as more important than humans well being... That the point to stop.

It can be as far as I'm concerned convincing women they must cover their entire body.
It can be convincing children that they are evil.
It can be mutilating another.
It can be preventing woman from singing.
It can be treated others as lesser than you because they don't share same beliefs..

But yes... Beliefs in general a a great thing and obviously very useful.
But be aware of what your beliefs are causing to others.

Milton Platt

Yes there is a lot of evidence that religion is certainly making us stupid, just look at the world today, what the......is happening, we all seem to be going backwards, so yes, what do you think, are we getting more stupid, I believe we are.

Dunno.........Maybe stupid comes first???

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
Dunno.........Maybe stupid comes first???

67486fd955ba8703825792ac290c5761.jpg

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Your entitled to like whatever you wish.
Beliefs are harmless... until being taken as reality.
Once you begin to consider your beliefs as more important than humans well being... That the point to stop.

It can be as far as I'm concerned convincing women they must cover their entire body.
It can be convincing children that they are evil.
It can be mutilating another.
It can be preventing woman from singing.
It can be treated others as lesser than you because they don't share same beliefs..

But yes... Beliefs in general a a great thing and obviously very useful.
But be aware of what your beliefs are causing to others.
If others have beliefs that cause harm to anyone, then I am there to tell them strait, and I don't care who they are.