• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is religion making us all stupid ?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
As I pointed out that several years ago these same people said we were going to all freeze to death. They were wrong and there is little reliable evidence for continued global warming and many scientist agree. When you get 100 percent agreement, get back to me.
That hypothesis goes back several decades, plus we are well beyond the hypothesis stage at this point. If one has actually has read scientific reports over the last three decades on this, what they would see is that the evidence has been continually mounting to the point where no serious scientist questions the basic analysis any longer. The only disagreements we are now seeing is just in some of the details.

omega2xx

O - M - G !

Ok, for the sake of discussion, let's say that the 97% of scientists who have studied this are wrong. What's the downside to escalating the pace of research into renewable energy sources? We currently give BILLIONS of dollars of subsidies to very profitable oil companies. How about instead, we give those subsidies to research on cleaner renewables?

And O - M - G - there are just too many other flaws in your response... yikes!

FLAW: Something that disagrees with my OPINION.

I don't want to burden you with having to think about this subject.

omega2xx

That hypothesis goes back several decades, plus we are well beyond the hypothesis stage at this point. If one has actually has read scientific reports over the last three decades on this, what they would see is that the evidence has been continually mounting to the point where no serious scientist questions the basic analysis any longer. The only disagreements we are now seeing is just in some of the details.

There is no reliable evidence that global warming will continue indefinitely.

metis

There is no reliable evidence that global warming will continue indefinitely.
That's not the point as we obviously need to deal with the here & now plus at least thinking a bit ahead. To guess wrong could be very catastrophic.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
FLAW: Something that disagrees with my OPINION.

I don't want to burden you with having to think about this subject.

Notice that I didn't attack you, I attacked your claims. I'd be happy to debate you on this topic, but ya gotta start by laying off the ad hominem attacks. Deal?

omega2xx

Notice that I didn't attack you, I attacked your claims. I'd be happy to debate you on this topic, but ya gotta start by laying off the ad hominem attacks. Deal?

My comment was not an attack. It was sarcasm. I enjoy sarcasm, it makes the point more vivid IMO. However if you see it as an attack, I will not use it when posting to you.

Do you agree that religion makes us stupid? If so, how.

metis

To guess wrong could also waste billion of dollars.
Not really as there are many advantageous spin-offs.

Also, we got ourselves into this mess gradually, so we can work our way out of it gradually. Already significant progress has already been made by many countries, including the U.S.

icehorse

Premium Member
My comment was not an attack. It was sarcasm. I enjoy sarcasm, it makes the point more vivid IMO. However if you see it as an attack, I will not use it when posting to you.

Do you agree that religion makes us stupid? If so, how.

Not strictly speaking. Now we've all been told that "religion" is a broad term and therefore when we criticize religion, it's easy for the apologist to trot out the "not all religious folks are like that" argument. So are we talking about those people who take their religion very casually or are we talking about people who take their religion very literally?

The literalists can easily become ignorant, not stupid, but ignorant. The well educated, fundamentalist religious person carries a cognitive load burden forever. This person must hold conflicting ideas in his head. This is absolutely a non-stop drain on brain resources. It doesn't make these folks stupid, but it saps their energy.

icehorse

Premium Member
To guess wrong could also waste billion of dollars.

Two threads here, but how would R&D into renewables waste billions? Even if there was no climate change issue, sooner or later we're gonna need to use renewables anyway. Seems like a win-win.

omega2xx

Not really as there are many advantageous spin-offs.

Also, we got ourselves into this mess gradually, so we can work our way out of it gradually. Already significant progress has already been made by many countries, including the U.S.

I has not been proven that there is a mess. That is cry of the alarmists. It can't be proven for at least 20 years. The have been sdome imporvement, made years ago in some clean air legislation, but they were made for health reasons, not because of climate change.

omega2xx

Two threads here, but how would R&D into renewables waste billions? Even if there was no climate change issue, sooner or later we're gonna need to use renewables anyway. Seems like a win-win.

For it not to be a waste, the premise must be correct. If private companies want to do R&D on renewables, that is their business. If they see than can make a profit, they will do the research. We need to get the government out of every nook and cranny of our life. Have you already forgotten the lessons of Sylindra? Was the tax money well spent?

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom---God

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Well if you want proof of lowered IQ in relation to religion I shall give you two words of proof: MIDDLE EAST

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Yes there is a lot of evidence that religion is certainly making us stupid,
Some people post because they have something to say. Others post because they have to say something. Questions like this fall in the second category. Mostly meaningless and a bit biased against those seen as the 'opposition'.

metis

I has not been proven that there is a mess. That is cry of the alarmists. It can't be proven for at least 20 years. The have been sdome imporvement, made years ago in some clean air legislation, but they were made for health reasons, not because of climate change.
You really do not know what you're talking about as spending even 15 minutes googling the absurdity of what you post above would tell you. But you won't. Links to various scientific sites have been posted for you, but you just make excuses as to why you don't even want to look at them.

So, why I should waste time trying to even link you to such sources when you just reject anything out-of-hand that doesn't fit into your predetermined mind-set? I and some others here do continue on because there are others who may be "on the fence" who may not be familiar with what the research is clearly indicating, so it's for those people that I, and probably some others here, continue on.

metis

But turning your back on well-established scientific evidence, as you so often do, is very far from "wisdom". When someone uses religion as a set of blinders, that's not "wisdom". When someone won't even google objective information, that's not "wisdom".

Any religious orientation that teaches that objective scientific evidence is wrong, such as the basic ToE and/or global warming, that religious orientation must be regarded as being bogus. This is why I left the church of my childhood that taught that "evilution" was contrary to what the Bible teaches. It isn't.

True "wisdom" is at least leaning in the direction of what the objectively-derived evidence is indicating, not walking through life with blinders on.

icehorse

Premium Member
For it not to be a waste, the premise must be correct. If private companies want to do R&D on renewables, that is their business. If they see than can make a profit, they will do the research. We need to get the government out of every nook and cranny of our life. Have you already forgotten the lessons of Sylindra? Was the tax money well spent?

If you do not value logic, we cannot have a discussion based on logic.
If you do not value evidence, we cannot discuss evidence.
It would appear that your philosophy is based on fear, yikes!