• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

is religion dangerous?

logician

Hitler's religious hero was Martin Luther, a strong anti-semite. There was a religous taint to the cause of WWII.

Smoke

Done here.
Non-religious:

The American Revolution

The US Civil War

World War I

World War II
Regardless of the causes of those wars, they would have been impossible without the enthusiastic participation of millions of Christians. In each war, Christian clergy were happy to proclaim the righteousness of the cause of whatever side they were on. None of them was fought to force anybody to convert to Christianity, but in all of them the main cause was the struggle of Christians to dominate other Christians. Religion doesn't kill people, but religious people do, with great gusto. If there were no other danger in religion (and there are plenty), there would still be the great danger that most religions make it easy for people to believe in the righteousness of their own bad behavior.

RUone2

I think Gandhi was spiritual rather then religious! I used to believe religion was a great thing to have, but over time my "religion" turned into spirituality, a sort of oneness with my Creator, and I am much the better for it.

tomspug

Absorbant
Religion itself is not dangerous. Ambition is dangerous. And religion can be used as a vehicle for ambition. Since ambition is human-focused and religion is (supposedly) directed heavenward, then religion is not directly to blame for anything.

Smoke

Done here.
Since ambition is human-focused and religion is (supposedly) directed heavenward, then religion is not directly to blame for anything.
That supposedly is crucial, though isn't it? It doesn't seem to be true on the ground.

Democide - murder of a person by a government? How does that have anything to do with atheists, most politicians are devout theists (sadly).
Look at the old thread somewhere here on wars caused by religion, theres a lot of them. Therefore religion is dangerous, you cant deny it.
I havn't heard of many wars caused by athiests, have you?
I was pointing at that page because it lists the number of deaths in the Crusades, but we can look at democides as a whole if you want. Nearly all democides, ~98%, are committed by totalitarian or authoritarian governments. There are no religious motives in these crimes, simply greed and a lust for power, as I said several times already. If you want to suggest that everything a person does is a result of their religious beliefs, then be my guest, but the vast majority of these dictators were atheists so it's not a good argument to make if you're trying to prove that religion is dangerous. It also has been show in studies that religious involvement increases healthy and safe behavior, while decreasing violent and risky behavior among children:

http://www.youthandreligion.org/publications/docs/RiskReport1.pdf
http://www.josh.org/notes/file/Teen-How_Religion_Affects_Teens.pdf

GadFly

Clashes are bad, and they occur way too often. Besides the unity and false hope religion brings, it causes wars and conflict as well. I think the world would be better off without the stress of cultures not accepting each other, which is what many religions preach.

I would agree with the heart and soul of your statement if there were ever a Utopian civilization created by an atheist. Atheist beliefs cause wars and conflicts as often as religious cultures. Communism is a prime example.

Misuse of anything seems to be what is dangerous including atheism. The ancient Greeks had plenty of gods and religions but seemed to prize "decorum" above all these.

GadFly

Reliigon has brought about far too much war so it has always been dangerous, and now extremists are born making religion still a dangerous ingredient in society.
We also have those exploiting God for their own benifice, to the detriment of innocent and often helpless people. What is the world comming to?

The world is coming to what it has always been. There has always been believers, none believers and atheist all equally making their beliefs dangerous to society. No one group has a monopoly on extremism. That having been said, there can be no doubt that extremism makes whatever it touches dangerous but not religion itself.

GadFly

Religion should be dangerous. If you can't cope, stop whining.
Not true! Religion is dangerous in the wrong hands. If you can't cope, rethink your position, and perhaps you will experience an epiphany. Maybe you will find God.

GadFly

Religions are dangerous mainly because they teach people not to think, but to accept.

Are there times that it is good to accept things as these are? In learning to think, maybe we need to learn when to accept and when not to accept. There would be less fights this way.

GadFly

What about the very harsh times when countless of innocent people were tried, tortured, and killed for being witches? All in the name of Christianity.
This definitely indicates that ignorance in religion is a bad thing. It does not prove Christianity is bad.

GadFly

(I know virtually nothing about this, I just googled it)

Muhammad is predicted as evil demon mahamada in Bhavishya Purana.
Do you not think that might cause a bit of "Us vs them" attitude?
Yep, it will. But if you are talking about extreme Muhammad, you might want that type of thinking to be more prevalent. I wonder what Muhammad is thinking as he moves into France, England and Western Europe. I don't think he is looking for oil.

Michel07

Wow what a loaded question! But even a butter knife is dangerous in some hands.So is ideology emanating from secular political ideas such as facism, nationalism, imperialism, nazism etc. All the isms that in the past century brought so much grief but were not confined to that century. i.e. The Napoleanic wars the Roman conquests etc. Maybe in the context of religion it also boils down to people of good will and people of ill will and whether or not the goals of those people are spiritual or temporal. All of the afore mentioned ideologies had unjust temporal (secular) gains as their final objective. I guess lots of things are dangerous. By temporal gains of course I mean the control and domination of land, resources and or people and while temporal is an older term it is by definition secular.

GadFly

I am so sick of all muslims being devils and evil. I am not a devil, I don't follow devils, and I am not evil. There I said it.
That is why we should talk. I live on a mountain top in Appalachia and am just now learning to tie shoes. All I know about Muslims is that extreme Muslims want to blow my mountain top to hell. There was something about our being the Great Satan. Here's your chance to tell me it is not true. I want to believe you because I know love is a better way. Whose side is God really on? Why should I not fear you? I suspect you do not want to be feared. Stick a blow against prejudice here and now. We will help you.

GadFly

Democide - murder of a person by a government? How does that have anything to do with atheists, most politicians are devout theists (sadly).
Look at the old thread somewhere here on wars caused by religion, theres a lot of them. Therefore religion is dangerous, you cant deny it.
I havn't heard of many wars caused by athiests, have you?

Sure, there have been many wars caused by atheist and many that have not been heard of. In all cases of war, religion or atheism was not the cause of war. In all cases war has been due to ignorance and lack of decorum. To argue for or against religion based on war is not wise.

logician

Sure, there have been many wars caused by atheist and many that have not been heard of. In all cases of war, religion or atheism was not the cause of war. In all cases war has been due to ignorance and lack of decorum. To argue for or against religion based on war is not wise.

This is simply is untrue, the Crusades were strictly wars about religion.