• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Psychology a real science?

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Legion, I did some research on employment data of psychologists.

I was focusing primarily on psychology although you referred often to the people themselves, the psychologists. And every time I brought up psychology as applied to some form of human health, you seemed to distance psychology from it, or implicitly proposed by your questions or comments that it is some tiny subset of it. That's not the case, quantitatively; it's the largest subset by far.

For example, if I go the Bureau of Labor Statistics for the U.S. and look up "Psychologist", here is the page. This is their main descriptor: "Psychologists study mental processes and human behavior by observing, interpreting, and recording how people and other animals relate to one another and the environment." and then they go on to describe the various subsets. If you go to the "similar occupations" tab, it lists things like archeologists, marketing analysts, counselors, physicians, survey researchers, social workers, etc.

They break the field down into four main subsets for recording purposes:

1) Clinical, Counseling and School Psychologists
Total employment: 103,590
The largest subset of this group is in primary and secondary schools, followed by healthcare providers of various types.

2) Psychology Teachers, Post-Secondary
Total employment: 38,060
This includes people that teach psychology full time (including the healthcare related types and non-healthcare types), and those that do a combination of teaching and research (into health care and non-health care categories).

3) Industrial-Organizational Psychologists
Total employment: 1,030
These are the marketing and human resource psychologists, and related fields.

4) Psychologists, All Other
Total employment: 10,350
The biggest chunk here is the 6,000+ federal psychologists, and there are more healthcare psychologists in this group too.

Alternatively, we can look at the American Psychological Association, which has 56 divisions for types of psychology. Going through the list, about half of the divisions are related to applied human health, with a margin of inaccuracy because some are probably debatable.

People from other countries can report other national data if they wish.

From all this, overall I'd say that the bulk of identified psychologists, at least in the United States, are doing applied psychology to help people with various behavioral, medical, developmental and other problems. And then another chunk of the remainder is involved in the teaching of those sorts of mental-health and behavioral related programs, or doing research in health-related psychology. The chunk that's left behind after all that, in the fields of non-health related academic psychology research, business psychology research, and so forth, are the type you seem to predominantly refer to. And then of course, out of that remaining group, many of them are blending neuroscience, neuroendocrinology, computational science, and related fields into it, and therefore the science part of that smaller subset is shared with these more physical research areas.

So how many psychologists are practicing psychology at an empirical level that would be comparable to chemistry, chemical engineering, physics, applied physics, biochemistry, etc? It seems to be a pretty small subset, and much of that subset overlaps with neuroscience and other fields. So I'll reiterate the earlier point I made, that psychology in general is not studied or practiced as hard science. It has various uses, of course.

So for example, if the question is something like, "Does Robert Sapolsky, who spent 25+ years studying social behavior of baboons, practice science?" I'd say he certainly does, especially because his doctorate is in neuroendocrinology and his practices include things like taking blood samples to measure cortisol levels of baboons under various conditions. If that's the kind of person we're talking about, then I'd say he's a scientist clearly, but that it's a neuroendocrionologist who does of course include psychology by definition in his work. Are you thinking of academics like that and counting them as psychologists, or referring to that field as psychology? If so then that would be the area of our disagreement on terms so far.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Legion, I did some research on employment data of psychologists.
So I noticed:
Alternatively, we can look at the American Psychological Association, which has 56 divisions for types of psychology. Going through the list, about half of the divisions are related to applied human health, with a margin of inaccuracy because some are probably debatable

I was at the APS conference on Thursday (the bad one- Association for Psychological Science) in the exhibition/poster presentation room. Among the many publishing vendors (Elsevier, Wiley, Sage, etc.) was Springer.

So as impressive as it is that you could find one society, you might try looking at how many more there are in the US:

Alternatively, you can do this:

For example, if I go the Bureau of Labor Statistics for the U.S. and look up "Psychologist", here is the page.
Where they
1) Focus on non-research employment (i.e., the thousands and thousands of grad students who contribute to research are not "employed")
2) Have the problem that labs are at universities, so they count researchers as professors (different job)
3) They include people with any qualification to counsel, from licensed counselors with a B.A. to Psy.D.

This is their main descriptor: "Psychologists study mental processes and human behavior by observing, interpreting, and recording how people and other animals relate to one another and the environment."

I wasn't aware the Bureau of Labor Statistics defined what psychologists do.

But here's the best part:
Alternatively, we can look at the American Psychological Association, which has 56 divisions for types of psychology. Going through the list, about half of the divisions are related to applied human health, with a margin of inaccuracy because some are probably debatable

Did it occur to you that these 'divisions...applied to human health" had to be at least partly researchers? Do you know why there is a Psy.D. and a PhD? Because for people not interested in research but in clinical work they created a degree that took out research training. All those subjects that have to do with "human health" are filled with researchers.

[
From all this, overall I'd say that the bulk of identified psychologists, at least in the United States, are doing applied psychology to help people with various behavioral, medical, developmental and other problems.
That's because you seem to think that psychologists who work in behavioral, developmental, etc., are treating people rather than doing the research. Why do you assume that? Probably for the same reason you went to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Basically. we have you doing looking up facts for at most a few hours while I am working for a company that provides research software to universities and labs around the world, but apparently you are better informed because you can access a government website to defend the position of someone writing a piece in the L. A. Times and who believes that "the left" is anti-science.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So I noticed:

So as impressive as it is that you could find one society, you might try looking at how many more there are in the US:

You see how many of those are health-related, or that are general organizations that cover all the same areas I already mentioned, right?

Alternatively, you can do this:

Where they
1) Focus on non-research employment (i.e., the thousands and thousands of grad students who contribute to research are not "employed")
2) Have the problem that labs are at universities, so they count researchers as professors (different job)
3) They include people with any qualification to counsel, from licensed counselors with a B.A. to Psy.D.
1) Do you have info on the number of currently enrolled grad students? Based on the number of total accumulated graduated psychologists, I'm sure it's several thousand compared to these larger numbers of practicing psychologists in various fields.
2) It explicitly stated that they include those that do research as well as teach, and listed about 30,000 people employed at universities and colleges.
3) I broke down the data to show various professions. You can exclude the ones you wish. Many of them have undergraduate degrees in psychology too.

I wasn't aware the Bureau of Labor Statistics defined what psychologists do.
They're not defining it. The purpose of sharing that was to point out how broadly or narrowly they are using the term when they report data.

But here's the best part:

Did it occur to you that these 'divisions...applied to human health" had to be at least partly researchers? Do you know why there is a Psy.D. and a PhD? Because for people not interested in research but in clinical work they created a degree that took out research training. All those subjects that have to do with "human health" are filled with researchers.
Of course there are researchers there. What made you think I wasn't including researchers?

Your posts already criticized the state of mental healthcare and diagnostic information in the United States. You criticized the end result of the work of those people that you just used as examples.

That's because you seem to think that psychologists who work in behavioral, developmental, etc., are treating people rather than doing the research. Why do you assume that? Probably for the same reason you went to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Basically. we have you doing looking up facts for at most a few hours while I am working for a company that provides research software to universities and labs around the world, but apparently you are better informed because you can access a government website to defend the position of someone writing a piece in the L. A. Times and who believes that "the left" is anti-science.
Do I have to point out the irony of criticizing the amount of research I posted in a thread on ReligiousForums.com listing the employment characteristics of psychologists in the United States while you countered with a copy/paste of links from a page?

You work at a company that provides research software to universities and labs. Can you clarify how that is highly relevant to the determination of whether psychology is science, and if so, what type of science? If it's relevant, should I just take your opinions as truth, or should I respond to your arguments in this thread? What should I make of my work experience with doctorate level research psychologists in my profession, the fact that I routinely have to read as much of the psychological research in my professional field as possible to apply it to what I do, and the 100+ neuroscience research papers I've read to learn more about the state of the human mind? Should I discard that experience and respect yours, or should we compare arguments rather than backgrounds?

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You see how many of those are health-related, or that are general organizations that cover all the same areas I already mentioned, right?
Yes, because I know who does the studies on mental health research. You linked to the APA (one of them). I have access to their database:

"PsycINFO is an expansive abstracting and indexing database with more than 3 million records devoted to peer-reviewed literature in the behavioral sciences and mental health, making it an ideal discovery and linking tool for scholarly research in a host of disciplines."

Now, maybe I've read this wrong, as I've spent a long time actually using this database, but when they talk about mental health in terms of research, wouldn't that mean, well, research? As in studies not treatment? And should I dismiss my experience because of your dismissive yet unsubstantiated claim (going to a government site on professions and economy? Really?) because you made comparison with psychology to the "hard sciences" that you supported by government economy figures (then by statements of your experience)?

1) Do you have info on the number of currently enrolled grad students? Based on the number of total accumulated graduated psychologists, I'm sure it's several thousand compared to these larger numbers of practicing psychologists in various fields.

Let's step back to what your basis was for relating psychology to clinical practice and mental health treatment:
Alternatively, we can look at the American Psychological Association, which has 56 divisions for types of psychology. Going through the list, about half of the divisions are related to applied human health, with a margin of inaccuracy because some are probably debatable.

How are they applied to mental health? Primarily treatment, or primarily research? Well, it's easy enough to find out:
"More than 3.4 million records, covering psychology back to its underpinnings in the 17th Century" (ibid).
"More than 57 million cited references, including almost 3 million from the period 1920 to 1999" (ibid)

That's the same APA you passed off as "division...related to applied human health". What do you think these millions of records were? Private therapy session notes published online because it's all "applied human health" simply because you assumed so?

That's just the APA. But you didn't stop there. You made the assumption that other mentions which could be applied health were that, or were primarily that.

2) It explicitly stated that they include those that do research as well as teach, and listed about 30,000 people employed at universities and colleges.

Where do you think research is done? And why do you think researchers have to teach? Harvard, MIT, UPenn, UCLA, Oxford, Cambridge, ever the JHU Applied Physics Labs, NSA, DoD, and CIA have researchers who are teachers. The two aren't exclusive.

3) I broke down the data to show various professions.
You broke now a list that was designed not to show you what you would want to find, because they don't double dip. Most researchers in any field are employed by universities or the government not private research companies or private practice.

Of course there are researchers there. What made you think I wasn't including researchers?

I guess I assumed you knew what "applied" meant. Also this:
Neuroscience is real science.

Psychology has scientific elements to it, but as was described in the OP, it lacks a lot compared to hard sciences.

Neuroscience is plagued with some of the worst research there is at the moment, because it taking psychologists away from what they developed (behavioral methods) and giving them advanced equipment with sophisticated computational software packages yet without adding to that the necessary training. You got it backwards. And then in defense of this inane and baseless categorization you went to a government site, and then to the APA to defend your characterizations of "science" based on completely uninformed yet sweepingly dismissive attitude. All because some right-wing ******* likes to pretend he can banish left-wing people from science along with psychologists (and I really liked that nice touch you added when you said that his opinions weren't relevant to this thread, despite the fact that it was his article that prompted it.

Your posts already criticized the state of mental healthcare and diagnostic information in the United States. You criticized the end result of the work of those people that you just used as examples.

Guess who runs the mental health field? Psychiatry. Why? Because they are "real" doctors. And who ensured that they continued be considered the experts despite the fact that so little of their training is related to mental health? The government. The mental health system is a disaster because psychiatrists invented a biomedical model to stay in business, and as a result they have systematically impeded progress in understanding mental health issues. There's your "hard science".

Do I have to point out the irony of criticizing the amount of research I posted in a thread on ReligiousForums.com listing the employment characteristics of psychologists in the United States while you countered with a copy/paste of links from a page?

The difference is that I've visited those sites, I know who the big names are, I've helped develop research products for these centers, and I've participated in this research. You spend a few hours trolling the web.

You work at a company that provides research software to universities and labs. Can you clarify how that is highly relevant to the determination of whether psychology is science, and if so, what type of science?

Sure. First, I don't work for them, I'm a consultant. They're great with programming and customer service and all the business stuff. What I do is look into
1) What fields are, in general, beginning to, or have already but doing poorly, behavioral research. The reason I have 23 volumes from one conference event is to build lists of research centers around the world, especially the Asian market (a growth industry).
2) The products I consult about consist of participation management services and survey software. I also work on creating guides for different fields that have been or are using this software.
3) I am asked to compare the software for the company that hired me with other software, such as Qualtrics.
4) The research fields I have already looked through include linguistics, cognitive engineering, social psychology, economics, consumer psychology, neuroscience, communication & information sciences, marketing, even food science (which I didn't know existed (and didn't recommend).

If it's relevant, should I just take your opinions as truth, or should I respond to your arguments in this thread?
If it were me, I wouldn't take someone's word I'd do my research. That's how I found out how many people in the "hard" sciences were turning to psychology research methods references and textbooks despite being doctorates. It's how I fount conferences for the company I consult with to exhibit at and why I didn't recommend others. What I wouldn't do was start of by making a distinction between "neuroscience" and "psychology" based on an uninformed opinion that and then justify by going to a few sites.

What should I make of my work experience with doctorate level research psychologists in my profession, the fact that I routinely have to read as much of the psychological research in my professional field as possible to apply it to what I do, and the 100+ neuroscience research papers I've read to learn more about the state of the human mind? Should I discard that experience and respect yours, or should we compare arguments rather than backgrounds?

Not at all. Go back to the research papers and see who wrote them. I gave you a list of conferences you which published, just for one year, 20+ reviewed papers. And to anybody that didn't know about the cognitive sciences, they'd never realize how many psychologists attend themselves or train those who attend.

Even better, you could provide some basis for your claim that isn't agreeing with this right-wing nutcase (who, fyi, seems to use psych research when it suits him).

Last edited:

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes, because I know who does the studies on mental health research. You linked to the APA (one of them). I have access to their database:

<cut for length>

Where do you think research is done? And why do you think researchers have to teach? Harvard, MIT, UPenn, UCLA, Oxford, Cambridge, ever the JHU Applied Physics Labs, NSA, DoD, and CIA have researchers who are teachers. The two aren't exclusive.
A lot of this doesn't address what I've said, Legion. For all of its thoroughness, it barely touches on my primary points.

First, where did I say psychologists don't do research, or that they're accumulated research collection would not be massive like any other collection of data? My primary remarks were about the type of research, or its cross-work into related disciplines, not the lack of it. I brought up statistics on the number of psychologists in applied health because of several implications in your post that this is some rare niche rather than a very large part of the entire field of study.

Second, how many of those studies include no neuroscience, neuroendocrinology, etc? How many of those studies use MRI? How many are cross-discipline? I've granted from my first post that neuroscience is a science, although that's a field you've curiously attacked. You spent portions of your posts describing your view of the sloppy state of neuroscience research papers but I bet many of those are included in the data base of research that you're now upholding as a foundation of psychology. That is, unless you can point out (seeing as how you have access to the data base and can probable look it up) that it's not the case that a considerable portion of those studies are indeed not neuroscience, not intersection fields related to studying the physical brain.

Third, I haven't asked you to dismiss your experience. A lot of your jabs seem to have been at my background without knowing it or asking about it. I'm not interested in such jabs, but I'll compare arguments on the subject of psychology as a science compared to other sciences. At this point I'm more amused at the level intensity raised against me than the subject itself.

You broke now a list that was designed not to show you what you would want to find, because they don't double dip. Most researchers in any field are employed by universities or the government not private research companies or private practice.
The source I linked to explicitly included government and university employees and stated their specific numbers.

I guess I assumed you knew what "applied" meant.
Ouch, bro.

Also this:

Neuroscience is plagued with some of the worst research there is at the moment, because it taking psychologists away from what they developed (behavioral methods) and giving them advanced equipment with sophisticated computational software packages yet without adding to that the necessary training. You got it backwards. And then in defense of this inane and baseless categorization you went to a government site, and then to the APA to defend your characterizations of "science" based on completely uninformed yet sweepingly dismissive attitude. All because some right-wing ******* likes to pretend he can banish left-wing people from science along with psychologists (and I really liked that nice touch you added when you said that his opinions weren't relevant to this thread, despite the fact that it was his article that prompted it.
Then what do you think that says about the field of psychology as a science? It's a field that studies the black box without looking inside (studies the brain without actually studying the brain directly), but then if you give them the tools to look inside, they totally drop the ball? You previously stated that neuroscience is often done by people with psychology backgrounds but are now upholding it as an example of failure.

I really don't see the need for the repeated mention of the L.A. times article. How many times have I reference it in my posts, and yet you're debating me here, right? I didn't address your posts aimed at other people. This is a thread filled with five pages of (long) posts, so continued pointing to the article has little to do with anything I've personally said here.

Guess who runs the mental health field? Psychiatry. Why? Because they are "real" doctors. And who ensured that they continued be considered the experts despite the fact that so little of their training is related to mental health? The government. The mental health system is a disaster because psychiatrists invented a biomedical model to stay in business, and as a result they have systematically impeded progress in understanding mental health issues. There's your "hard science".
I don't view psychiatrists as primarily relying on hard science.

Take depression for example, or even the broader category of mood disorders. Millions of people have been given medicine to fix a problem that professionals can barely define medically. Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, are the key example. That whole hypothesis is based on shaky correlative empirical evidence, and a poor level of evidence for causation and full explanation. Yet they're given out like candy.

It seems to me that in this debate you're pushing out the various fields that aren't helpful to your argument. Psychiatry is about the studying, diagnosing, and treating mental disorders, with or without medicine. Psychology is the study of behavior, of how the mind works.

You've describe neuroscience (the field of studying the central nervous system itself) as sloppy, and have criticized psychiatry (the field of studying and treating mental disorders), but uphold psychology as scientific, comparable to so-called hard sciences rather than being softer in any way. That's cherry picking. When researchers take as much as they know and apply it to the most common mental problems people face, is the outcome close to ideal, or is it a sloppy or self-absorbed mess as you have described it to be? And as I previously pointed out, unless you correct me on this, it's most certainly the case that the psychology database of research you speak of contains all sorts of cross-discipline research including neuroscience, clinical psychology for studying or treating disorders, etc.

The difference is that I've visited those sites, I know who the big names are, I've helped develop research products for these centers, and I've participated in this research. You spend a few hours trolling the web.
I used the web to address specific points of yours, namely the implications that applied psychology for health was some narrow niche rather than a large focus of the field. It was to help quantify something to you that I viewed as something that should already be apparent. That's a reputable source for showing a breakdown of employment in a profession.

I've already pointed out that much of my professional work involves working with psychologists, and that part of my job is sorting through known psychology studies in my field, so that our organization can stay on the edge of research in the field. I don't believe I've criticized your background but it's inaccurate to say that my position here is based on a few hours trolling the web.

Sure. First, I don't work for them, I'm a consultant. They're great with programming and customer service and all the business stuff. What I do is look into
<cut for length>

If it were me, I wouldn't take someone's word I'd do my research. That's how I found out how many people in the "hard" sciences were turning to psychology research methods references and textbooks despite being doctorates. It's how I fount conferences for the company I consult with to exhibit at and why I didn't recommend others. What I wouldn't do was start of by making a distinction between "neuroscience" and "psychology" based on an uninformed opinion that and then justify by going to a few sites.
I don't view it as an uninformed opinion. I see several errors of reasoning or contradictory claims in the arguments you've presented.

Not at all. Go back to the research papers and see who wrote them. I gave you a list of conferences you which published, just for one year, 20+ reviewed papers. And to anybody that didn't know about the cognitive sciences, they'd never realize how many psychologists attend themselves or train those who attend.

Even better, you could provide some basis for your claim that isn't agreeing with this right-wing nutcase (who, fyi, seems to use psych research when it suits him).
I've already described my points. I don't disagree with a few of the points in that article but in no way have I tied my argument to his at all. I'll summarize my view in my next post I guess, since this is out of room.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Continued for legion:

Psychology is in an odd position of studying the brains of humans and other animals without actually studying the brain itself. It's a field that existed prior to the ability to thoroughly look inside was invented, and with the limitations of looking inside its still applicable and probably always will be. That's the basis of my view that it is somehow different than, say, chemistry or empirical physics. It's like examining a black box; all of its input and output characteristics, and its interaction with its environment, but being inherently restricted on explaining why it works the way it does, what goes on inside, what the causes are, etc. There are various niches, like marketing psychology, or usability research, and some of the studies are indeed empirical, with sales data or sample data, etc. In my field, eye-tracking data is a common output. This description of psychology is not meant to be disparaging, or to call into question its rigor, at least in some areas.

When the lid is taken off the black box, and the person looks inside to study the detailed insides, then that's a related and overlapping field. Neuroscience is the study of the central nervous system, and neuroendocrinology is the study of the interaction between the endocrine system and the nervous system. Psychiatry is the field of studying, diagnosing, and treating mental disorders in humans.

You've criticized those fields, and in some cases I believe it was right to do so. But you've also used an MRI as an example of psychology being science (as in, neuroscience), and have referenced mental health research (which is part of psychiatry as well, there's the overlap). To you, neuroscience is sloppy in practice; that if psychologists use tools to actually directly study the organ they've already studied indirectly, they basically tend to drop the ball as far as you're concerned, and yet you uphold them as scientists, which is curious set of arguments to make.

At this point I'm not sure what point you're trying to make; you seem to have criticized the field more than I have, and yet we're supposedly debating from positions such that I disagreed it was the same type of science as neuroscience and you've defended that it is. From what you've said disparaging neuroscience and psychiatry, can you salvage psychology as genuine science? Are you criticizing me for making a distinction but then making distinctions yourself?

My main point is that psychology is in a rather unique position as being defined as a field that studies something indirectly (the brain), and that when it studies it directly, is called something different, like neuroscience. Certain niches are, for one reason or another, filled with what we seem to agree is a lack of empirical rigor, like in the form of diagnosing and helping mentally disturbed people. Other areas like marketing psychology may indeed have quite a bit of empirical rigor but in studies where they remain outside, causation and explanations are limited compared to descriptions of the outcome.

When I critique the coherency of your argument, you respond with the databases you have access to and things of that nature, or criticize the rigor of sources I've provided while copying and pasting information in return. I propose that this debate would be cleaner if you also condense your argument to say specifically what it is you're trying to say. I'm interested to see your opinion on how psychology is a genuine science after you've criticized neuroscience and psychiatry so harshly, and in some cases used them as examples of psychology (like fMRI) and in other ways distanced psychology from them. I think that taking your posts together, you have criticized psychology more than I have, since I've barely criticized it. You've made distinctions, and then criticized me for making distinctions. I believe I've been pretty consistent.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Continued for legion:

My main point is that psychology is in a rather unique position as being defined as a field that studies something indirectly (the brain), and that when it studies it directly, is called something different, like neuroscience.

Hi Penumbra,

I think one of the things that makes psychology so interesting is the diversity within the field. As such, I'm not sure it's accurate to characterize psychology as being defined by the study of the brain - perhaps I picked you up wrong?

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
A lot of this doesn't address what I've said, Legion. For all of its thoroughness, it barely touches on my primary points.

I disagree, but it was definitely inadequate. I was running on fumes for at least 36 hours and I had let this thread and the author of the OP's link get to me. So rather than paying more attention to what you were saying, I was leaping upon every statement and attacking it, which is not constructive dialogue and doesn't help anybody. I apologize, and I appreciate the way you handled it.

So rather than continue that trail I'll return to the OPs question. I think many identify psychology with clinical psychology, and it is certainly true that today there are many. But even the abstract of Clinical Psychologists in the 2010s: 50 Years of the APA Division of Clinical Psychology is revealing:
"The American Psychological Association's Division of Clinical Psychology constitutes one of the oldest, largest, and most active organizations of clinical psychologists in the world. For 50 years, beginning with E. Lowell Kelly in 1960, researchers have chronicled the evolution of its membership and the transformation of clinical psychology in the United States."

50 years. Behaviorism was already being replaced then.

Specialization along with interdisciplinary research can do far more than was possible earlier. When cognitive science first emerged, it was the perfect blend of shared knowledge and individual specialties: psychologists, linguists, computer scientists, and the newly emerging field of information theory.

But too often this is not the case. To contrast the sciences of today we need only skim the names of some of the fields (biophysics, cognitive engineering, evolutionary psychology, quantum computing, etc.) and scan the top of Alfred North Whitehead's wiki page . One person was a mathematician, philosopher, a logician, a physicist, a classicist, etc. This was possible because there wasn't so much specialization and there was a lot of overlap in broad fields such that Hilbert, Einstein, Russell, Planck, Turing, von Neumann, etc., had backgrounds that shared so much.

You asked

Is this your personal opinion or do you have data to back this up as an empirical truth?

The study by Colin Firth and two "hard" scientists published in the peer-reviewed journal Current Biology. is a useful example of how and why a field like neuroscience is among the most plagued with difficulties including those your question concerned. Colin Firth didn't screw it up, the scientists did, and a few of my posts on the study address your question.

This one goes into some detail including on the state of neuroscience problems while this one addresses and provide links for context. I posted many critiques, but rather ask you to wade through posts I've provided a few key portions:

Neurology is clinical. This is neuroscience. [There's a big problem with] the state of neuroscience in particular, especially social psychology and social neuroscience (basically, studies like this). One of the biggest names in the field, Diedrick Stapel, was fired because he made up data over decades...Marc Hauser, a guy who used to work where I did...was canned for fraud...Hence studies like this:
"False-Positive Psychology Undisclosed Flexibility in Data Collection and Analysis Allows Presenting Anything as Significant." Psychological Science, 22(11), 1359-1366.

Or, on fMRI studies in particular, studies like this one which is in a neuroscience journal on brain imagining methods and on the problems with too many protocols to produce and analyze data which the people who are producing and analyzing don't understand. They just follow.

when the authors state: " One of the functions of the anterior cingulate cortex is to monitor uncertainty [16,17] and conflicts [18]", they don't tell you that number 17 there is the study "Optimal decision making and the anterior cingulate cortex" from Nature Neuroscience nor do they tell you it concludes that the primary role of the ACC is not to monitor uncertainty, but "integrating reinforcement information over time rather than in monitoring". This study is basically contradicting the [author's] view...
Even better, study 17 cites study 18 in order to say that it is incorrect. The authors cited two studies, one after another, when the first one is devoted to demonstrating that the second is wrong.

Nor do they mention why, when they state "The ROI for ACC was defined as a sphere with a radius of 20 mm centered at (x =
u2212.gif
3, y = 33, z = 22) [4,27]" (ROI= "region of interest") they cite the sources they do. They are describing where they looked and the size of that region. This is very necessary for fMRI scans and sometimes for MRI scans because neural activity that one measures is often in very, very small regions. But the smaller the size of the region, the more chance you will miss something. So fMRI studies usually cite why they selected the size (actually, volume, measured in voxels) they chose.
Next, they get really fancy (it seems). They "performed diffeomorphic anatomical registration through exponentiated lie algebra".
...actually, although this sounds really fancy, it really comes from [the manual, SPM8, for the imaging software the researchers used. The manual, SPM8, explains] "DARTEL stands for "Diffeomorphic Anatomical Registration Through Exponentiated Lie algebra". It may not use a true Lie Algebra, but the acronym is a nice one."

..."Lie algebra"...has to do with a set of related mathematical notions (fields, vector spaces, commutators, groups, etc.) which might be grouped under the name "abstract algebras".

...They did not perform any "diffeomorphic anatomical registration through exponentiated lie algebra"..But it doesn't sound impressive to say "we then used SPM8's DARTEL" when you can say "we performed diffeomorphic anatomical registration through exponentiated lie algebra", even if this isn't true.

It shouldn't take even a bad "hard" science journal to find the flaws that took me no time at all, and as just a little more digging revealed nothing was done correctly, what "peers" reviewed this?

Behaviorism was a science. It was inadequate, but it wasn't "wrong" the way classical physics was. That's why wherever you turn you see the influences of those psychologists who created entire categories of research methods refined and honed over 100+ years.

Understanding the logic of the experiment, knowing about biases, and similar design issues for a behavioral study (whether it uses humans or other animals) is more important than understanding advanced math which often isn't needed for such designs.

The problem, however, is that many behavioral studies aren't done by psychologists but by people who do not have a background in behavioral methods. Meanwhile, psychologists are turning to technologies, from Mechanical Turk to neuroimaging, involves dealing with high dimensional data sets and sophisticated understanding of sampling theories that a typical psych doctorate won't know about. They will have had a grad course in multivariate stats that are little more than reviews of various tests with the bare minimum of actual math. But they do describe what each test is for and give examples of use.

These tests are built in to programs like SPSS that enable people to run tests they only understand as somehow related to their research question, and with the ease of a calculator. So even when the right test is picked, it's misused. And if the results don't show conform to the Holy Doctrine of Hypothesis Testing: The gospel according to &#945;-levels, just pick another test and run it.

However, there are sets of issues plaguing the "hard" sciences as well. And bad interdisciplinary research doesn't go one way.

ScottySatan

short and most direct answer: objectivity, math, statistics, hypothesis testing, and other tools that define a "hard" scientist's work is not required for accuracy (correctness), only precision (exactness).

longer answer: Science is the study of nature. Psychology is well within that. Science does not require use of that 500 year-old "scientific method" you learned in grade school. That scientific method is now an oversimplification of research reality.

There now exist additional steps, and some of the old steps have become optional.

Lots of subjective things can be science, but it's a matter of a sliding scale of quality. There is no defined cut-off point. Some psychology papers are better than some physics papers.

On the other side of the coin, there are more good physics papers than there are good psychology papers.

Last edited:

ScottySatan

When I look at an fMRI in progress, the scans aren't changing the person's brain.

How do we know that? References please?

edited to add: I think you're right, I'm not being antagonising here, I don't think magnetic fields do anything to the body. However, I'm not sure about this and you seem to be sure. Therefore...

Last edited:

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How do we know that? References please?

My first reference would be that, having looked at people's brains during fMRI studies, and knowing that the basis for any conclusions is the that the activity is the result of the experiment, all changes would be insignificant.

Also, before I give references, I'd like to clear something up: it does change the brain, it just does so by net magnetization. Certain atoms have nuclei with a certain property: nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR). Also, some have two other properties: magnetic moment and angular momentum. Hydrogen, thankfully, is one of a classs of atoms that have both. The reason you need both is because in truth and MRI scan (functional or not) necessarily changes the brain. All observation of anything changes what is observed (you see things because light bounces of them, but the effect to negligible that it would be hard to detect period, and impossible to see).

That said, what the scan changes is the spin (up or down) of mostly hydrogen atoms. These atoms are spinning in a direction to begin with, but this direction is constantly changing thus in any cluster the different orientations cancel out. What the MRI does is orient the spins in one direction (it doesn't matter which). That's the basis of the MRI signal: nuclear spin orientations. How could that possibly measure anything relevant?

If organs were common cars, SUVs, and other things people drive (not commercial trucks) the brain is a like the civilian Hummer (either model) of organs. It requires a lot of "gas". So when particular areas of the brain are more active, they require more food: glucose and oxygen. The reason hemodynamic activity has "hemo" in it is because the oxygen is bound to hemoglobin. The brain consumes the oxygen leaving us with deoxygenated hemoglobin, which basically means more H20 (commonly called water, or wetenas, only the second hasn't been common in a few thousand years and is genitive). The important thing is that H as it has the NMR property. fMRI uses what is called BOLD contrast (blood-oxygenation-level dependend contrast). When an area of the brain is more active, it requires more blood which turns into more water and more H atoms, giving us a BOLD contrast that MRI can detect by orienting the direction of the spins of these atoms in one direction rather than the otherwise random direction.

So it does change the brain, but it does so by orienting an atom in a molecule (not even the molecule itself. It's a very powerful magnet, and I'm not joking about that at all. That's the safety issue. I learned how bad the TSA use of their wands was thought an MRI safety course. That's because before passing a whole lot of warnings, you enter into a room where there is no effect from the MRI but (particularly if you are a participant) gets you access to the room with it. And there is a strip of tape or something akin to that to let you know that you are now where the magnetic field is active.

I can recall hearing of only one death, and it was because someone was doing a scan on a boy who had a wheelchair, and some genius brought that into the scan room where what starts out as just a little tug turns into an incredibly powerful magnetic force an inch later. The wheelchair killed the boy. So we have to use the wands correctly to ensure that the participant isn't e.g., wearing a hair clip they forgot about (we put them in scrubs without pockets and yet we still use the wand just in case the person accidently overlooked the safety document where they are required to tell us if they have any metal pins due to a fracture or any other metal implants, shrapnel, etc.). THOSE are the dangers, because although often times even a metal implant won't matter, we know when and why because it was tested. In contrast, if a guy shows up with a tool belt (this did happen somewhere) he will literally be flown through the air and become stuck to the machine.

Worse, turning the machine off doesn't do anything. It's always on for a reason: it takes a lot to generate that kind of field and there's no good reason to shut off the machine. If someone goes in with metal and it becomes a safety issue, you have to hit one of several big red buttons which kill the field and damage the multi-million dollar machine. Apparently the people who pay for these machines do not appreciate it when you tell them you had to hit the button and they need to spend a few million more.

Finally, the references:

Functional Magetic Resonance Imaging (2nd Ed.) by Huettel, Son, & McCarthy (Sinauer; 2009).

Handbook of Functional MRI Data Analysis by Poldrack, Mumford, & Nichols (Cambridge University Press; 2011)

How Does MRI Work? An Introduction to the Physics and Function of Magnetic Resonance Imaging (2nd Ed.) by Weishaupt, Köchli, & Marincek (Springer; 2006)

There are a few more textbooks and reference guides, but as your main question has to do with safety and as there's no point in paying for a book just to read one chapter, some free material:

Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging &#8211; Advanced Neuroimaging Applications (you can download individual chapters or the whole book)

Safety in Magnetic Resonance Imaging

Patient Monitoring System for MRI: An Evidence-Based Analysis

Safety guidelines for MRI equipment in clinical use
(this one's about 100 pages, compared to the other two which are on safety alone)

The Pre-MRI Screening Questionnaire: Purpose and Rationale
(like the title says, this is only on the pre-screening process; as there isn't actually any single process that I'm aware of, rather there is a whole set of things that are required and many labs do more, it's much more about what the reasons for the things various centers have to do are).

Last edited:

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
short and most direct answer: objectivity, math, statistics, hypothesis testing, and other tools that define a "hard" scientist's work is not required for accuracy (correctness), only precision (exactness).

I'm not sure I understand the difference between exactness and precision. So I'll give some examples of math use and perhaps you can tell me the ways in which one use is accuracy and another precision.

Models of systems are usually considered unique to the "hard" sciences, as the term was used in physics and was borrowed when chemistry and biology started to either exist as fields apart from physics or were developed as new fields. Yet these all use equations to model the systems of interest. How does accuracy not fit into that?

A microbiologist is dealing with dynamical systems that are far too complex for a complete model (usually) and which almost always require statistics for the same reasons paleoclimatologists, economists, and certain others in the social & behavioral sciences do: dimensionality reduction, feature extraction, classification and clustering, and various other categories of statistical techniques (and there is a lot of overlap among them).

Some, like quantum physics, have almost nothing other than statistics. The formalism gives the state of the system as a probability function that will allow a mathematical operator (usually Hermitian) to connect the probability function (the "state") to experimental outcomes/measurements. How what is called the state of a physical system in QM actually relates to the state of a physically system is unknown and controversial.

Game theory (largely begun by the book The Theory of Games and Economic and Economic Behavior by von Neumann & Morgenstern) was developed for the social sciences, is still used and developed there (esp. in economics, and political science), but was borrowed by biologists to use for evolutionary models and by computer scientists for a number of reasons and by cognitive psychology for understanding how humans make judgments.

Computational fields in psychology, linguistics, and computer science are frequently pretty much using all the same tools, and in the same ways (and within each field there are different uses for the same tools).

longer answer: Science is the study of nature. Psychology is well within that.
Yet computer science, engineering, nanotechnology, microsystems, etc., are not. And compared to the social and behavioral sciences your average person working in any of the above would know more about mathematics, care more about putting things together just right (is that what you meant by precision?), and lots of other things normally thought of as more on the "hard" end of the science spectrum.

On the other side of the coin, there are more good physics papers than there are good psychology papers.
This is certainly true (although I'd still say that psychology is so broad that there are borders where people would argue that we've left psychology, such those concerned with computational models of the neural code). Alas, I don't think it can be used to make fields linearly separable. For one thing, certain fields are just larger and tend to churn out papers like monkeys on typewriters (which, I think, might be actually true of some centers in certain fields). For another, some fields are just really complex, and even worse, many of these are new (so they don't have a long history to build from).

The way that academia had moved into interdisciplinary fields in general I think makes any separation between "hard" sciences pretty useless if it uses the way sciences were divided much more neatly before. I can safely say that psychiatry and social psychology are responsible for some of the worst research around, while computational linguistics is not. Heck, even the lines between science get blurry in some cases (cosmology).

Science as we understand it today is a systematic organization that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of hypotheses and testable explanations about the observable world. Is there too much subjectivity in psychology to make it a formal science?

Psychology often lacks the precision and rigorousness of other sciences, such as mathematics or physics. According the the L.A. Times:
What is a precise science? Apparently, the phenomenon of happiness can be experienced when one recognizes it. It seems, people find material more congenial to happiness, because material does not generally give the impression of manipulating the senses, and it is relatively material, and not perception of the material.

ScottySatan

Hi. I can't possibly address everything you brought up in this format. Here's my guess on what the important parts were.

1)
Finally, the references:

Thanks, but I know how MRI works. Can you point out the specific part of one of these references which conclusively demonstrates how it doesn't change the brain? This part's not that important to me. I'm just trying in a roundabout way to get you to admit that we really can't tell and you shouldn't have said that. I'm just being a cheeky bugger.

2)I said precision and exactness are the same thing. I'm saying accuracy and precision are different. Accuracy is whether or not something is correct, precision is...exactness. "The numerical value of Pi is around 3, definitely closer to 3 than to 10". That was accurate and imprecise. "Pi is equal to 112.2121212". That was precise and inaccurate. I promise I didn't make that up. This is a basic thing that's taught very early in formal science education, including the one that a psychologist gets.

3)Computer science and your other examples aren't science. They're engineering. Math isn't the thing that makes science, science. Math doesn't turn music theory into science either. And there are examples of not very mathematical physics and highly mathematical psychology. Math doesn't define the "hardness" of science. I'm not sure such a thing exists.

?)This is fun, but it's really all over the place and I'm a little lost. Is there something specific you're arguing with me, or was that more of a general commentary?

Last edited:

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Thanks, but I know how MRI works. Can you point out the specific part of one of these references which demonstrates how it doesn't change the brain?
Considering that I explained how it does change the brain in that post, and gave you references, what were you looking for?

Also, fMRI doesn't work the way an MRI does. There's no BOLD contrast in an MRI.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Thanks, but I know how MRI works. Can you point out the specific part of one of these references which conclusively demonstrates how it doesn't change the brain?

It does. It orients the nuclear spins of hydrogen atoms.

This part's not that important to me. I'm just trying in a roundabout way to get you to admit that we really can't tell and you shouldn't have said that.

Sure, we really can't tell that, but if you want to talk about real science (and what is or isn't), then stating "we really can't tell that" is intrinsic to any and all scientific research because there are inherent uncertainties. What we do know is that, given a century of quantum physics research, a much longer history of biology, and about the same amount of studying the physiology of the brain, all our theories about biological systems (including the brain) combined with physics tell us that static magnetic fields, even those as strong as in MRI, don't damage tissue nor do they even really alter sub-cellular molecular structures. What they change are being changed in all the time. Of course, we could be wrong. All our theories could be wrong and the fact on average anywhere between 50-100,000 scans a day for a total of several hundred million in the last ~3 decades has affected tissue in ways we don't know about. It's also possible that ancient Eastern concepts of qi are fundamental to human health and integral to our biological (and particularly circulatory) systems.

However, when we have every theoretical reason to believe it doesn't alter the brain, and none to suggest it does, and in fact none to suggest it causes any tissue damage or alteration at all, the several hundred million results of such scans that confirm these theories are about as much evidence as one gets in any scientific field.

2)I said precision and exactness are the same thing. I'm saying accuracy and precision are different. Accuracy is whether or not something is correct, precision is...exactness.

There is an entire mathematical field devoted to this: numerical analysis. It is a subfield of analysis (and thus deals with measure theory and topology). Approximation Theory (and, depending on who you ask, perturbation theory) fall under numerical analysis. It's about (among other things) formalizing concepts that one touches on in calculus (the intro to analysis) such as this:

That was precise and inaccurate.

I promise I didn't make that up. This is a basic thing that's taught very early in formal science education

If you mean calculus, then one is barely introduced to precision. Proving the limits of functions or sequences, and even their multivariate equivalents, are not about precision because without measure theory you really can't.

including the one that a psychologist gets.

Most psychologists who do research that I've met have not taken calculus. This is not true of economists. Yet the former is a behavioral science, and the latter a social science.

3)Computer science and your other examples aren't science. They're engineering.

And why is engineering not a science?

Math isn't the thing that makes science, science. Math doesn't turn music theory into science either
True. But nobody calls it music science, unlike computer science. Or the computational sciences in general.

Math doesn't define the "hardness" of science. I'm not sure such a thing exists.

I don't think it does, but you used the terms.

Is there something specific you're arguing with me, or was that more of a general commentary?

Both. I dislike the way the Ivory Tower communicates with the public, as I find that in general this communication is inaccurate. It leads to ridiculous discussions in which e.g., creationists assert that "evolution is just a theory", and this is defended by the equally ridiculous notion of people who don't do research defining what theory is so that evolution, which isn't a theory but an interdisciplinary field of research with lots of theories and although it might not be true, for this to happen most a large number of fields would collapse in a way that hasn't happened since the inception of quantum physics and that is the only time it has ever happened. But such is the nature of too many people's understanding of research that the defense against "it's just a theory" is to make-up definitions rather than demonstrate how much more than a theory it is.

Likewise, the idea about what is or isn't science, or why X science is a soft science, or how most of the way the sciences are broken down (biology, psychology, physics, chemistry, etc.) frequently don't reflect much in the way of reality.

Basically, my interest is simply to express what I have learned from my experience and my research so that others can either learn from that or correct me when I am wrong such that I can learn. For this thread, that involves understanding how
1) talking about "psychology" as a unified science is about as useful as saying food chemistry, combustion and pyrotechnics, microbiology, and astrophysics all are all just "physics".
2) demonstrating that we have a thread thanks to an article by a guy who didn't like the fact that psychologists produced a study about conservatives (this same guy also authored the book on how "the left" is anti-science), and so said it wasn't a science. Not that it is anything to be taken seriously by anyone and if there is anything to get out of this thread that is useful, it is trying to understand how people producing research or working in applied sciences or just how scientists think about the sciences.

Last edited:

ScottySatan

Ok, then can you summarize what is the point that you are arguing with my post then? I can't pick one out of all that stuff you wrote.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Ok, then can you summarize what is the point that you are arguing with my post then? I can't pick one out of all that stuff you wrote.
Assuming your "short answer" and "long answer" post is the one you are talking about, then I think it's a pretty good answer but am not sure about 2 points:
1) As I said, I don't think the precision vs. accuracy distinction holds
2) I don't see science as limited to the study of nature.
The term's history can (thankfully) be seen in full even without OED access as someone put it up here. It began and still is primarily a branch of learning which relies on logic; a theoretical framework within which to judge the veracity of a theory or theorem or hypothesis; and which develops models that are used for prediction, understanding some system, and/or understanding some aspect or process of some system.