• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Multiculturalism really good for society?

Averroes

I'm of the opinion that American society is multicultural, and therefore diversity should be embraced and celebrated...tolerance encouraged and exclusivity not brought to light in a manner that screams political correctness but normality as we are a diverse nation.

Do you believe that multiculturalism also dissolves the uniqueness of individual cultures? Again, leaving resturants out of the equation, how does one learn about African ancestry when there are African-Americans with no link to Africa? Do you visit "little Ethiopia?" how does one become knowledgable? Knowing "Black Americans" doesn't make you privvy to Africa.....:areyoucra

Averroes

Again I ask,

What is "cultural identity"? How far back in ones ancestry does one have to go?

And and what is more important to maintain? Cultural, as in where ones ancestors are from, or the supposed "culture" as related to the pigment of ones skin?

:shrug:

{If I didn't answer your question}

Cultural identity can be identified as anyone who belongs to a group of similar/or same ethnic/national origin.

Averroes

I find multiculturalism to be a good thing as long as there is an overarching cultural belief in the society that can hold it together. Something like the rule of law. Through this many cultures can thrive in one nation but the rule of law recognizes a limit on cultural practices to maintain an established basic concept such as that of human rights. I think this is something the U.S. has achieved fairly well over the last few decades.

Very good point but is there a limit?

Averroes

I guess in addition to my response to gnomon, is there a limit of being inculsive of all cultures? For instance children in grade school here in the United States who learn about various cultures such as "Black History Month" or "Cinco De Mayo." What about acknowledging
Prince Jonah Kuhio Kalanianaole Day, or Seward's Day, or some U.S. American related holiday? Can we possibly acknowledge all influential cultures that help build the U.S without alienating other cultures?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I guess in addition to my response to gnomon, is there a limit of being inculsive of all cultures? For instance children in grade school here in the United States who learn about various cultures such as "Black History Month" or "Cinco De Mayo." What about acknowledging
Prince Jonah Kuhio Kalanianaole Day, or Seward's Day, or some U.S. American related holiday? Can we possibly acknowledge all influential cultures that help build the U.S without alienating other cultures?
Do you think there's an upper limit to how much school kids should be taught about other cultures?

Speaking for myself, I never felt like learning about Diwali or Ramadan ever did me any harm.

Averroes

Do you think there's an upper limit to how much school kids should be taught about other cultures?

Speaking for myself, I never felt like learning about Diwali or Ramadan ever did me any harm.

Well the limit resides in how much schools overwhelm students. I am more worried about kids retaining information rather than the cirriculum. Most grade school children probably aren't taught Diwal or Ramadan. In my honest opinion there is so much students are taught due to the possibility of overloading students with too much information that its virtually impossible to be inclusive.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Well the limit resides in how much schools overwhelm students. I am more worried about kids retaining information rather than the cirriculum. Most grade school children probably aren't taught Diwal or Ramadan. In my honest opinion there is so much students are taught due to the possibility of overloading students with too much information that its virtually impossible to be inclusive.
And in my opinion, kids are capable of a lot more than we usually give them credit for, and the average student is more than capable of learning that there's a world beyond the borders of the United States, and that people in their own communities celebrate other holidays beyond the mainstream ones without having their heads explode.

It will probably horrify you to know that along with the "standard" high school sports teams, my school had a cricket team AND a dragon boat team. And at our annual variety show, students would do things like traditional Indian dancing and playing the tabla. Somehow, I survived.

(I was actually on the dragon boat team myself. I don't know how I managed to emerge unscarred.)

Averroes

And in my opinion, kids are capable of a lot more than we usually give them credit for, and the average student is more than capable of learning that there's a world beyond the borders of the United States, and that people in their own communities celebrate other holidays beyond the mainstream ones without having their heads explode.

It will probably horrify you to know that along with the "standard" high school sports teams, my school had a cricket team AND a dragon boat team. And at our annual variety show, students would do things like traditional Indian dancing and playing the tabla. Somehow, I survived.

(I was actually on the dragon boat team myself. I don't know how I managed to emerge unscarred.)

Interesting. I don't know why that would horrify me but ok. As for your statement I am sure that is true as you say, but as many subjects are in grade school rehearsing information is one thing, but fully grasping it is another. What I mean is, do kids know the significance of Ramadan and what it stands for? Going into detail on the theology of Islam or Hinduisms Diwali holiday may be too complex for students. This is what I was leaning towards in my response which is why I am sure grade school cirriculum only covers the basic, high school covers the details, and college is just an overview of both.

Nooj

none
That which benefits the whole...... :facepalm:
So your question is 'does multiculturalism benefit the whole'?

I don't know what benefit means. Should I define benefit as enjoyment? Multiculturalism in my country has lead to a greater variety in food choices and it seems many people enjoy that. So it seems multiculturalism does benefit the whole.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Well. I just got back from a weekend with my daughter and her husband, in their housing on a military installation.

My daughter is biracial. Her husband is a white guy from Iowa. They have three multiracial girls and an adopted son from Korea.

Their next door neighbors are from Central America and from the Philippines. That is to say, sort of - each spouse is a different color and from a different region. The kids in the neighborhood are a glorious mixture of colors and ethnicities, and watching them all play together on the playground is one of my favorite pastimes.

We went shopping at the Asian market and fixed up a huge Korean feast on Sunday, with authentic Korean foods. I brought home a pantry full of items from Vietnam, Thailand, Japan and Malaysia. I was especially excited about the unique fresh produce, and very glad that I could visit this store and buy these things right here in the the US.

I always get a kick out of seeing the little Buddha shrines in Asian establishments, with the little food offerings at his feet. I especially like the laughing Buddha.

We went to Mass at the cathedral. I watched the line going up to take communion and enjoyed the diversity - every color of the human rainbow was present - communing together.

It was a beautiful sight. I thank God that I live in a country where all of these expressions are tolerated, allowed, encouraged and welcome.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Oh boy, I can't wait to get into this one.
So do I. I am multi-racial and inter-married. but I've never considered myself as such. if anything I considered myself multicultural and the fact that my wife is supposedly from another culture only reflects in that we communicate in English between ourselves, until she is able to speak Hebrew and I'm able to speak French.

Last edited:

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Do you believe that multiculturalism also dissolves the uniqueness of individual cultures? Again, leaving resturants out of the equation, how does one learn about African ancestry when there are African-Americans with no link to Africa? Do you visit "little Ethiopia?" how does one become knowledgable? Knowing "Black Americans" doesn't make you privvy to Africa.....:areyoucra

Multiculturalism is defined in different ways. It's defined as the appreciation of culture in addition to the promotion and education of different cultures.

The concept of American was "by" the people and "for" the people. Multiculturalism should be promoted by Americans and embraced by the Americans who are interested in learning.

I don't have need to know Africa outside the auspices of factual, American history. But it would be awesome to have access to information about Africa from African Americans who are passionate about their heritage or their actual place of birth, who wish to educate me.

But, I don't want to pay tax dollars to implement additional programs for education that I think is unnecessary. I have a rich Irish, Scottish, German, etc. background and I feel the very same way about my heritage. I'm deeply interested in my cultural background but I don't feel that there's an obligation for American society to provide outlets to project these facets of American culture.

Multiculturalism can't be cheapened if the cultures represented in our society continue to share with others that which is important to them and that which needs to be shared for generations to come. I, personally, find one on one interactions with people to be of greater benefit than events, occasions, etc.

I like to get to know people and have face to face time with them. I'd rather have a person in my home for dinner for authentic cuisine than to go to a restaurant.

Those are my thoughts.

Last edited:

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
As far as inter-racial marriages this is something I will post later since this is the biggest problem of multiculturalism

Interesting, How does one get rid of Multicuturalism without inter-racial marriages?

I think knowing how you plan to fix this multiculturalism of the world to benefit human kind is necessary at this point.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
There are massive genetic advantages of mixed marriages.
Like all Hybrids, offspring are more vigorous more healthy, and many would say better looking.
Such mixings do much to eliminate weak genes. In other animals as well as in us.

Averroes

There are massive genetic advantages of mixed marriages.
Like all Hybrids, offspring are more vigorous more healthy, and many would say better looking.
Such mixings do much to eliminate weak genes. In other animals as well as in us.

I doubt that. Sure dominant and recessive genes are at play but please provide some evidence

Averroes

Interesting, How does one get rid of Multicuturalism without inter-racial marriages?

I think knowing how you plan to fix this multiculturalism of the world to benefit human kind is necessary at this point.

I am not concerned about the world but only about what goes on here first. As for the rest of your statement you indeed asked a good question. Let me sit on it.