• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Multiculturalism really good for society?

Averroes

I think "multiculturalism" is essentially a white-people concept invented to supply a showcase to display how accepting and open-minded you are. Like most misguided concepts of this variety however, it basically turns into another level of filtering and defining the world from one's own perspective. In other words, people are okay with multiculturalism, as long as what is conveyed about these other cultures is shallow and superficial - like a culturally specific piece of clothing, a type of food they eat, or possibly a stereotypical personality trait that can be viewed as unintimidating. People get to feel good about promoting "multiculturalism," and at the same time, feel safe because everyone else is basically white people with a few novel surface differences.

Google multiculturalism

Averroes

As far as the inter-racial aspect, I personally don't think various ethnic groups get together especially those of the disadvantage groups such as the Native Americans, African-Americans, Latinos/Americans. I personally feel that due to the unfortunate experience of Eurocentric Imperialism, I believe its important for cultures to know themselves before inter mingling with others. How does this relateto multiculturalism?Well, I believe that intra-cultural issues should be addressed by respective cultures to get rid of any stereotypes that may be lingering before anyone can actually be with someone of another culture that individual first must be able to be with themselves and their culture.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Off course you don't get it...google multiculturalism

LOL figures...google multiculturalism

Google multiculturalism...its not that hard

Google multiculturalism
You are going to have to do much better than that:

This is a tricky question because the definition of multiculturalism depends heavily upon the context in which it is discussed.
SOURCE

Averroes

I've tried to make that argument numerous times, but the majority of people will simply refuse to accept it. Clearly society has no clue as to what unity truly mean, nor how to achieve it.

It's the human race, or so I thought.

You act like someone is dismissing that point. I am personally not dismissing that point. However, you have to consider centuries old indoctrination upon the hundreds of millions of people. You have to consider how to convince the Indians to do away with the Caste system, or the "Eurocentric mentality" and the superiority complex, or the "Black Nationalism" or the "LA RAZA" attitude. Centuries old. Can you do that in one blog? Truth be told, we will never get rid of it and even if we did at some point people will put their ethnic/nationality identity to the forefront. Basically we have to re-write history and at this point I want to address the illogical notion of multiculturalism and that we can accept certain things of a culture and yet continue steteotypical attitudes. For example, "I like Mexican Food but I don

Last edited:

Averroes

then it should be rather easy for you to give us a definition.

Dude multilculturalism is defined already I mean in every thread do I have to give a merriam webster's dictionary definition? I mean, this isn't remedial as you and Songbird make it. How is it that we have pages after pages of discussion but you and Songbird don't get it? Seriously read the freggin responses and catch up!

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Dude multilculturalism is defined already I mean in every thread do I have to give a merriam webster's dictionary definition? I mean, this isn't remedial as you and Songbird make it. How is it that we have pages after pages of discussion but you and Songbird don't get it? Seriously read the freggin responses and catch up!
It is not my fault that half your posts seem to be contradicting themselves.
I am not looking for a Merriam definition.
I am looking for how YOU define it.

Merely saying "google it" does not get the job done simply because you have shown many of the different meanings in your various posts.

Thus the reason you are being flat out asked how YOU define it.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Idealistic, but it would take a milennia or two, to make that happen. You first have to do away with cultural pride, history, superiority, philosophy, mentality, etc.
From which culture?

Are you coming into this assuming that it's your culture that would be the one that everyone assimilates into? Do you think that your idea of "American culture" (if there really is just one American culture) matches with that of the people who would be dictating for you what this means?

My perspective on multiculturalism is that it's been the official policy of Canada since the 1970s, and it works just fine. IMO, it's an extension of the idea of personal freedom: nobody else gets to dictate how you live (i.e. your culture).

Considering all the rhetoric that comes out of the US about "liberty", I'd think everyone would be all behind this sort of thing.