• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is modern science informing us of a spiritual reality?

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It definetly is not supernatural, yes.

It perhaps exists in higher dimensions than our own. We are the essence of its existence. It is more than a mental state, it is the full embodiment of being, and it includes aspirations that culminate in realities. We are perhaps the effect of the source of it.

Being minus biology has a cause and effect reality all its own. Such as the loves, hates, cares, and ambivalences we have according to our conceptions, and understandings toward reality, and the attitudes we decide to have to other life, as well as ourselves.
I struggle to put your description into terms meaningful to me ─ for example I don't know what a 'higher dimension', or 'the full embodiment of being' might be (though I confess the latter is an attractive glimmer, perhaps like Borges' Zahir), or of being 'minus biology', which I'd have said would describe a present-day computer, though as an analogy maybe not future ones.

But thanks for taking the time anyway. I appreciate it.

Last edited:

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
I've tried meditation at times, not very seriously, and I've seen but not read books representing the 'third eye' notion (Tibetan, perhaps) on their covers, but I have no substantial concept of what it's about, What is it about? What is the 'third eye' said to see?

And again, how can anything it 'sees' be distinguished from the subject's own thoughts and imaginings?
-------------

In meditation, different images/inspirations can occur and these images are said to be observed by the third eye. It all depend on your ability to be silent in your thoughts and of your focus point with your meditation.

Your second sentens is very important as the inner images can contain both personal and collective issues. In my personal experience, it is fairly easy to tell when a collective image/inspirations shows up since collective inspirations often deals with common cosmological matters. (At least in my experiences).

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
-------------

In meditation, different images/inspirations can occur and these images are said to be observed by the third eye. It all depend on your ability to be silent in your thoughts and of your focus point with your meditation.

Your second sentens is very important as the inner images can contain both personal and collective issues. In my personal experience, it is fairly easy to tell when a collective image/inspirations shows up since collective inspirations often deals with common cosmological matters. (At least in my experiences).
When is an image said to be "collective"?

we-live-now

Or does modern science create the possibility that there is a spiritual reality?

Or is it hands off on the matter with no way to rule in or out the spiritual reality?

Isn't that what metaphysics does?

Can anyone see the differing wavelengths of energy that surround us?

David T

Premium Member
Or does modern science create the possibility that there is a spiritual reality?

Or is it hands off on the matter with no way to rule in or out the spiritual reality?
They constantly argue it themselves at least indirectly in some areas. It's called reductionism vs non reductionism in science.

Hell religion argues it themselves. Is spirituality generated by the book or is it something else. A tree seems to not have this issue. It is the book.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Isn't that what metaphysics does?

Can anyone see the differing wavelengths of energy that surround us?
We can all see the different wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation in the visible spectrum, yes. None of us can see infra-red, radio waves or UV and X-rays. Nor can we see sound waves. These waves all carry energy, but are not made of energy. Energy is not "stuff", it is a property of a system.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
Depends what you mean by modern science. In some circles science means taking spiritual ideas off the table

However the scientific method does not exclude God or miracles
and some would argue God designed the world as a place of discovery for His glory
I agree with this, with the proviso that when these "some" (I would say many) give their views on God they are not speaking scientifically.

It seems plain to me that, while science is by far the best discipline of thought for understanding nature, there is a lot more to human experience than understanding nature. People's ideas about God spring from various sources: aesthetic feeling and moral judgements, cultural conditioning, personal and subjective spiritual and emotional experiences, etc, none of which are amenable to effective treatment by the methods of science. So it seems quite rational that people find there is room in their worldview for something more than just nature "out there".