• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is "logic" the new word of the decade?

Heyo

Veteran Member
I think of logic as the rules of moving the pieces in chess. This is *part* of the game.

But the initial set up is a very important aspect as well. Who moves first is as well. If you change the initial placement of pieces, that would drastically change the game of chess (possibly even trivializing it).
Alternative initial positions are thought to be more interesting by many chess players. You can't rely on learned opening strategy but have to really think it through.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Alternative initial positions are thought to be more interesting by many chess players. You can't rely on learned opening strategy but have to really think it through.

It is in a sense similar to philosophy. You have to consider many positions and learn where they are similar and different. E.g. you can't rely on one form of truth.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

But, for example, it is easy enough to find opening positions that give a win automatically to one player or another.

The point is that a different initial position leads to a different game. Putting all pawns on the next to last row with no obstructing pieces leads to a very different game.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Round these parts it seems it can be utilised as a noun, a verb, an adjective, an adverb, a preposition, a conjunction, an article, a determiner or an interjection. Or even, on occasion, a swear word.
I ****ing love English. It lets you ****ing use "****" every second ****ing word. ****, yeah! Though this ****ing swear filter will **** my ****ing eulogy on the ****ing English language up. What the ****?

Heyo

Veteran Member
But, for example, it is easy enough to find opening positions that give a win automatically to one player or another.

The point is that a different initial position leads to a different game. Putting all pawns on the next to last row with no obstructing pieces leads to a very different game.
Usually only the sequence of the pieces in the first (and eights row) are changed. Enough to ruin every learned opening but too little to ruin the game.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I ****ing love English. It lets you ****ing use "****" every second ****ing word. ****, yeah! Though this ****ing swear filter will **** my ****ing eulogy on the ****ing English language up. What the ****?
I know, ******* ****.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It may be that it is not being misused.

It might be that reason and Logic have a wider embrace, that some have restricted to their own meanings.

Regards Tony

Or it may be that some people live in cloud cuckoo land and claim every opinion, guess and tail is logicality sound.

The definitions of the word are clear,

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"logic" or "logical" are not replacement words for "i believe" but are precise tool of reasoning using strict principles of validity.
Yes, but it's worth saying out loud that while formal logic can provide precise reasoning, the value of the reasoning is no better than the premises.

For example:

All green things are beautiful.
The sky is green.
Therefore the sky is beautiful.

ajay0

Over a couple of years i have seen an increased use of the words "logic" or "logical" to counter argument againsts a given religious belief. It never works out that way as fairly simple logical argument calls the original claim of logic into question.

Today, as i write this there are two threads in New Posts that used the the word "logic" or "logical" in their title, both are arguments for a particular belief but not from logic.

On examining the OPs it seems the author's don't really have much understanding of logic but use the word as a fence to protect their belief.

I am far more familiar with computer logic than philosophical logic but in either case i would like to say that "logic" or "logical" are not replacement words for "i believe" but are precise tool of reasoning using strict principles of validity.

' Logic' has been there for a long time. And has been useful in uprooting some religious superstitions.

But nothing can beat intuition which jumps to the big picture in an instant and helps make timely decisions.