• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is "logic" the new word of the decade?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I've heard it put this way: Logic is like the rules of a game, which is different from saying logic is the game itself. I haven't thought that through yet, but it looks good enough offhand.
Yes, that's a good analogy. Some people seem to be more interested in the rule book than the game itself. Personally I find Western analytic philosophy as interesting as insurance literature.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
f.., you're f..'n right about that, you f..'n genius.

I found that one of the hard parts was switching out of that into a more polite language. I was only there a couple of years while growing up.

When invective is used as part of everyday conversation it is very difficult to modify the habit. Having moved to france i find i use "merde" more often than the words i was dragged up with

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
At least every 3rd word or you are not in with the crowd
Round these parts it seems it can be utilised as a noun, a verb, an adjective, an adverb, a preposition, a conjunction, an article, a determiner or an interjection. Or even, on occasion, a swear word.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Can't say I've noticed what the OP has noticed at all. But if it is taken as true, it demonstrates an escalating failure of folks to understand religion and what it is about. Given the state of religious education hasn't really changed as far as I can tell over the past some decades, I suppose it isn't surprising to see an escalating failure born of escalating ignorance. Even the university I work for, for all the hubbub it makes about diversity training, ignores religion as part of that. It's irritating and stupid. Pardon. :sweat:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
When invective is used as part of everyday conversation it is very difficult to modify the habit. Having moved to france i find i use "merde" more often than the words i was dragged up with
I coached a nice Mormon kid in volleyball. Every time he misplayed a ball, he'd yell "Shoot!" I, and several of the other players, found it funny.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I coached a nice Mormon kid in volleyball. Every time he misplayed a ball, he'd yell "Shoot!" I, and several of the other players, found it funny.

Me too. Because my prim and proper grandmother always said the same thing

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Me too. Because my prim and proper grandmother always said the same thing

We (myself and another teacher) took a couple of parents from that mindset on an overnight camping trip. They had a difficult time getting out of it, and we had to subtly remind them more than once. But we did have quite a few Grade 5 kids huddling around the campfire late at night listening in to the adults. Great fun.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Your OP reminds me of an old, old (1950s) cartoon with characters Buzzy the Crow and Katnip (the cat). In every episode, buzzy makes bizarre suggestions to a problem that Katnip has, to which Katnip responds, "that sounds logical." And of course, it always led to trouble.

Seriously, though, I'm with @ChristineM on this: logic has a pretty precise meaning, and most people today use it incorrectly, particularly when what they really mean is, "well, that makes sense to me." The problem is, what makes sense to most of us, most of the time, really isn't logical at all, and is usually based on faulty or incomplete premises, invalid logical construction, and pure leaps of fancy based on what we already believe.

By the way, did you know that Lewis Carroll (Alice in Wonderland, also known as English mathematician Charles Lutwidge Dodgson) wrote a book on logic, and even invented a "Game of Logic?"

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
logic has a pretty precise meaning, and most people today use it incorrectly

Having checked several online dictionairies I would say that logic has TWO meanings (which may be unhelpful, but nevertheless true). Most people today use it correctly as per ONE of those two, just not the one that you are suggesting.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Also, to add, a dictionary is not a holy book. That is to say, it is not some incontrovertible scripture that dictates language. It is, rather, descriptive of how people use language and changes over time based on changes in how people use language. It also should never be mistaken for an encyclopedia, or a comprehensive overview of complex topics.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I've heard atheists say 'atheism is the most logical position', and theists say 'theism is the most logical position'. That in itself should render the word useless. I think it's been used incorrectly for a long time. I'd like to see it listed among the forum's curse words here so we wouldn't have to tolerate it. (Exaggeration for effect) There are other poor arguments, and one that particularly gets my goat is the "if you only studied the books harder'. There are lists of false arguments out there. maybe we should develop one.
Cemetery of Failed Arguments
The reception wasn't very motivating but I might just try again or do it anyhow.