• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is knowledge good or bad thing ?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There are two persons. Both caught by same deadly disease. Doctor told truth to one of them. Now, one knows, and the another one don't knows.
Is this knowledge good ?

I think, knowledge is NOT a good thing.

If you contrary with the statement. then tell me that which particular knowledge you think is good ?
For me: Good
For others: Unknown

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
There are two persons. Both caught by same deadly disease. Doctor told truth to one of them. Now, one knows, and the another one don't knows.
Is this knowledge good ?

If you contrary with the statement. then tell me that which particular knowledge you think is good ?
I think this depends entirely upon the person and the circumstances. I would prefer to know but I'm sure many wouldn't and such information might produce a negative outcome in such cases.

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
Is this knowledge good ?

I don't think knowledge is good or bad, but how we respond to it and use it can be good or bad. Knowledge has no inherent character of good or evil.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Still knowledge is NOT good. What if not able to get Dignitas on proper time ?
Knowledge of gravity can be used many different ways. It prevents me from straying near the edge of high places. While another might use that knowledge to end themselves from high places. How has that knowledge changed in any way despite the different application?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
How ? any example please ?

If we're referring to truthful, verifiable knowledge, then learning it and understanding it increases our understanding of the universe, along with our ability to acquire more knowledge.

Some of it may be rooted in a desire to survive and go on living. For example, learning how to make a fire was an important piece of knowledge that helped increase our chances for survival. Things like that are useful.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
for what ? unhappiness ? think about.it.

I have, long and hard, you have no idea just how hard
I would rather be as prepared as i can be for death as i mentioned, so i could make arrangements. Although that would not always be so should death come quickly and unannounced. In the throes of dying without having things sorted would be a torture to me.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
In 2021, 250 people were killed with blunt objects in the US. There are 140 million houses in the US. The construction of them required the use of blunt objects like hammers. Are hammers evil? Is the knowledge of how hammers can be used evil? Does the hammer know that it can be used to kill as well as build? Is knowing that you can kill someone with a hammer evil when you use that knowledge to avoid killing others with a hammer?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Example ?
It mostly depends upon the strength of character - as to dealing with hard issues, tragedies, and such - and whether one can cope in such circumstances. Many people have survived the most horrible of incidents because they were strong in this way, and having to deal with a serious illness, even a lethal one, is much the same. Many might not be able to do this.

Although these aren't the same as having a deadly disease, they might have resulted in death - as to one person cutting his arm off because he was trapped by it and no other means of escaping and another (mountaineer) crawling back to camp after breaking his leg whilst his mate had left him thinking he was already dead. Plenty of other examples too no doubt. Coping with a deadly illness is much the same - confronting the bad and dealing with it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What a coincidence. Boy do I feel silly now.
Well, rabbits are fundamentally silly animals.
OGC.03b0941ecc118fca17e6e8a071b24223

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
In 2021, 250 people were killed with blunt objects in the US. There are 140 million houses in the US. The construction of them required the use of blunt objects like hammers. Are hammers evil? Is the knowledge of how hammers can be used evil? Does the hammer know that it can be used to kill as well as build? Is knowing that you can kill someone with a hammer evil when you use that knowledge to avoid killing others with a hammer?

I was thinking along the same lines upthread when I mentioned the knowledge on how to make fire. That was useful knowledge and increased humans' chances for survival. But fire might also be considered evil when it gets out of control. But having the knowledge of fire also gives us the means to protect ourselves from it.

Hammers aren't evil, but sometimes they can be stupid. Like when I'm hammering a nail and miss. Stupid hammer.

chinu

chinu
Knowledge of gravity can be used many different ways. It prevents me from straying near the edge of high places. While another might use that knowledge to end themselves from high places. How has that knowledge changed in any way despite the different application?
Knowledge ceases to be knowledge when it is a common sense. Even a dog doesn't jumps from a high place.