• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Jesus the Son of God?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
The Christians belief that Jesus is literally the Son of God. Is this possible? Is there a better way of considering this core Christian belief?

(1) The idea that Jesus is physically or literally the Son of God is derived from the "Son of God" designation that appears throughout the Gospels but also in other New and Old Testament texts.

(2) It is a designation that highlights the Uniqueness and Greatness of Jesus when compared to the rest of humanity.

(3) However other religions may also have different designations such as Muhammad being the seal of the prophets or Baha'u'llah being the Glory of God. These different designations may serve a similar purpose to highlight the Uniqueness of a particular Man who Manifests God's Greatness with a Revelation that transforms communities, traditions, and morals.

(4) There is an underlying unity in all the Great Prophets or Manifestations of God.

"Christ ratified and proclaimed the foundation of the law of Moses. Muhammad and all the prophets have revoiced that same foundation of reality. Therefore the purposes and accomplishments of the divine messengers have been one and the same. . . ."

"The mission of the prophets, the revelation of the holy books, the manifestation of the heavenly teachers and the purpose of divine philosophy all center in the training of the human realities so that they may become clear and pure as mirrors and reflect the light and love of the Sun of Reality."

"The function and purpose of a shepherd is to gather and not disperse his flock. The prophets of God have been divine shepherds of humanity. They have established a bond of love and unity among mankind, made scattered peoples one nation and wandering tribes a mighty kingdom. They have laid the foundation of the oneness of God and summoned all to universal peace."
All quotes from the Baha'i writings

roger1440

I do stuff
The Christians belief that Jesus is literally the Son of God. Is this possible? Is there a better way of considering this core Christian belief?
The Old Testament uses a lot of symbols to represent the relationship between God and Israel. God is the father of Israel. Israel is God’s son. God is a husband to Israel. Israel is God’s wife. By using these same symbols the Gospel writers can create new metaphors the Jews can relate too. In other words the Gospel writers are using existing building blocks to create their own story. They are not bringing in new material.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
The Old Testament uses a lot of symbols to represent the relationship between God and Israel. God is the father of Israel. Israel is God’s son. God is a husband to Israel. Israel is God’s wife. By using these same symbols the Gospel writers can create new metaphors the Jews can relate too. In other words the Gospel writers are using existing building blocks to create their own story. They are not bringing in new material.

To what extent do you thing the designation "Son of God" assists us to understand the Divine Reality of Jesus, and at what point can our interpretations of Sacred texts obscure or distort that reality?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, but as part of his People aka Israel the Son of God if you read Exodus 4:22,23.
Please elaborate. What do these verses suggest to you? That the designation belongs to the Nation of Israel and not to Jesus?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I wonder if a better way could possibly come through the idea of the trinity concept, with breaking it down into the main attributes of each and understanding how they work through one another to achieve oneness?
Please elaborate. How would the concept of the trinity assist us?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
If an omnipotent God is possible, then yes of course it's possible that Jesus is literally the Son of God. This is the most fundamental of Christian teachings, IMO, and I believe it.
What if its not true and a barrier to better understanding?

Ben Avraham

Please elaborate. What do these verses suggest to you? That the designation belongs to the Nation of Israel and not to Jesus?

That the Messiah must be of the collective concept as a People, not an individual. The individual is born, lives his span of life and dies. Are we supposed to expect a new Messiah in every generation? Obviously not! The Messiah is not supposed to die but to remain as a People before the Lord forever. (Jeremiah 31:35-37) Besides, if you read Prophet Habakkuk 3:13, "The Lord goes forth to save His People; to save His Anointed One aka Israel the Son of God if you read Exodus 4:22,23.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
That the Messiah must be of the collective concept as a People, not an individual. The individual is born, lives his span of life and dies. Are we supposed to expect a new Messiah in every generation? Obviously not! The Messiah is not supposed to die but to remain as a People before the Lord forever. (Jeremiah 31:35-37) Besides, if you read Prophet Habakkuk 3:13, "The Lord goes forth to save His People; to save His Anointed One aka Israel the Son of God if you read Exodus 4:22,23.

If this is so then why were the Jewish people defeated and dispersed while Christianity flourished? Did God not show favour to the Christians whose descendants like Abraham were spread throughout the earth?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
All souls/atman are the children ( sons) of the Supreme Soul.

This appears similar to a Christian concept as recorded in the gospel of John 1:12-13

But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Only if Mary was a wife unto G-d, there is no other possibility.
Regards
So "Son of God" is a metaphor or designation. What could it mean? The phrase appears over 25 times in the Gospels and throughout the Christian Bible.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
[QUOTE="adrianhindes, post: 5023958, member: 54290"]So "Son of God" is a metaphor or designation. What could it mean? The phrase appears over 25 times in the Gospels and throughout the Christian Bible.[/QUOTE]
"So "Son of God" is a metaphor"

It also appears in the Jewish Bible, since Jesus and Mary were never Christians but Jews, it is easily solved from the usage in the Jewish Bible. Please
Regards

Tabu

This appears similar to a Christian concept as recorded in the gospel of John 1:12-13

But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Good observation , even I think there are some similarities in text , at the same time many differences while interpreting.
" But as many as received him " , this would be interpreted as all those who remembered Him i.e God Almighty.
or if him is retained with the small letter , it could indicate any pure soul and the right to temporarily inherit the earth by the followers of any pure (messenger) soul .
" He gave them the power to become the sons of God " , i.e . God adopted them as His sons .
Sons , because they receive the right to inheritor His Gardens , and this is number wise according to efforts , remembrance , service , imbibing knowledge.
Souls inherit what belongs to God so they are referred to as sons , sometimes in BK lit , souls are referred to as grandchildren as well because He adopts them through Brahma ( Adam) , so Brahma becomes the son and the rest grandsons,
Some times it is also mentioned that He takes Brahma as His consort and adopts us through him , so Brahma becomes the mother and the rest children.
Not , only Brahma , but each soul who shows the children their father ( God) , becomes the nourishing mother , through whom the children recognize and return and belong to The Father and receive their inheritance of happiness, peace and the gardens.

Ben Avraham

If this is so then why were the Jewish people defeated and dispersed while Christianity flourished? Did God not show favour to the Christians whose descendants like Abraham were spread throughout the earth?

Because, according to Proverbs 13:24, "He who loves his son disciplines him early." Then at the end, the Lord will get rid of the other nations but of Israel, He will only chastise as we deserve. (Jeremiah 46:28)

Hawk Flint

Jesus/Yeshua is the Word of God given a flesh form, so the Words that come from the mouth of God is what Jesus/Yeshua is. God doesn't need a consort to have a child either.

Scott C.

Just one guy
What if its not true and a barrier to better understanding?

Honestly, if it weren't true, then it would be a huge barrier and waste of my time. It's my conviction that it is true that motivates me to live my life based on the premise that Jesus is the Christ and Son of God.