• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it wrong that a female portray Jesus Christ?

Jonathan Bailey

Reminder to everyone, the matter the OP is bringing up happen in 1993 during a visit by Pope John Paul II to Denver, It was World Youth Day and three young people enacted the Stations of the Cross, one was male and two were female. This traditional enactment has always been open to people of all genders. Why the OP is complaining about something that happened so long ago is beyond me. Maybe his TARDIS broke.
The only reason I created this thread is because I stumbled across this particular Mother Angelica video by accident while I was searching for something else. Since this is a Religion site, I thought it might have been of interest to see how angry this Catholic nun was about this. Mother was directing her anger toward the liberal church in America. She was proudly proclaiming her traditional Roman Catholic heritage. She cussed not once but nuns and Christian ministers have been known to cuss before. I do find Mother Angelica still entertaining in video and on radio broadcasts. She is the typical old-fashioned prudish fussy old lady with a Victorian likeness. I "dig" the old-fashioned habit she wore later in her life. She had passed away in 2016 at age 92 but her programs air still aired on Catholic radio today.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Why the OP is complaining about something that happened so long ago is beyond me.
Given his past threads, it seems he has a hard time accepting females and males not abiding by rigid binary behaviors and norms (such as, bringing up that delivering newspapers not being exclusively male anymore).

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Reminder to everyone, the matter the OP is bringing up happen in 1993 during a visit by Pope John Paul II to Denver, It was World Youth Day and three young people enacted the Stations of the Cross, one was male and two were female. This traditional enactment has always been open to people of all genders. Why the OP is complaining about something that happened so long ago is beyond me. Maybe his TARDIS broke.
Hmm that reminds me of being dragged to a Christmas play my younger cousins were a part of during their school days. They went to a Private School with some affiliation with Christianity. Can’t quite remember, I assume Catholic.
They re-enacted the life of Jesus. And despite being a coed production, Jesus was mostly played by females. I don’t recall anyone being smote because of it. (Though I might have welcomed it at the time.)

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
The only reason I created this thread is because I stumbled across this particular Mother Angelica video by accident while I was searching for something else. Since this is a Religion site, I thought it might have been of interest to see how angry this Catholic nun was about this. Mother was directing her anger toward the liberal church in America. She was proudly proclaiming her traditional Roman Catholic heritage. She cussed not once but nuns and Christian ministers have been known to cuss before. I do find Mother Angelica still entertaining in video and on radio broadcasts. She is the typical old-fashioned prudish fussy old lady with a Victorian likeness. I "dig" the old-fashioned habit she wore later in her life. She had passed away in 2016 at age 92 but her programs air still aired on Catholic radio today.
We do not live in 1993 anymore, this is now the 21st century if somebody hasn't informed you yet.

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
Hmm that reminds me of being dragged to a Christmas play my younger cousins were a part of during their school days. They went to a Private School with some affiliation with Christianity. Can’t quite remember, I assume Catholic.
They re-enacted the life of Jesus. And despite being a coed production, Jesus was mostly played by females. I don’t recall anyone being smote because of it. (Though I might have welcomed it at the time.)
Because traditionally among children the role was open to all genders

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I thought it might have been of interest to see how angry this Catholic nun was about this. Mother was directing her anger toward the liberal church in America. She was proudly proclaiming her traditional Roman Catholic heritage.

The early Church needed to portray Jesuis as both genders. It was reversing itself in to Roman culture and theology and female dieties were as important as male dieties.

An example is this early picture of Jesus (the baptism?) where he has child bearing hips and most delicate features. A woman could model this Jesus better than a man, I think.
jesus-ravenna.jpg

But if Western Christians p[refer a true portrayal of Jesus then pictures like this next one are just a joke.
jesuschrist.jpg

PruePhillip

Mother Angelica thought so in 1993.
I think so too.

I think it was an embarrassment to America when the Pope visited Denver to see a broad portraying Christ.

I do believe that God has one and only one begotten Son. No begotten daughters of God are ever mentioned in the Good Book.

Can you imagine a woman playing Babe Ruth in a film or even Neil Armstrong?
Can you imagine a girl playing Pinocchio?
Can you imagine a boy playing Mary, the Mother of Jesus (except in Shakespeare's time)?
Can you imagine a muscle man like Hulk Hogan, Arnold Schwarzenegger or the Iron Sheik playing Queen Victoria?

What this is implying is that the Gospels are man-made construct (feminists
won't say a "woman-made construct", like the devil, some things remain male.)
A female Jesus is a political statement, devoid of religious respect.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
We do not live in 1993 anymore
And thank whatever gods that may be it's not. We've made so much progress since then, with it really no longer being an accusation to think/wonder/ask if someone is gay, no longer in the shadow of the AIDs scare, and it's pretty much just the deep Evangelical Conservatives who object to homosexuals anymore. The music was great then, I really do miss the phone being at home and plugged into the wall, but socially we've made so much progress since then that though I love the nostalgia of the time I wouldn't actually want to go back there.

PruePhillip

The early Church needed to portray Jesuis as both genders. It was reversing itself in to Roman culture and theology and female dieties were as important as male dieties.

An example is this early picture of Jesus (the baptism?) where he has child bearing hips and most delicate features. A woman could model this Jesus better than a man, I think.
View attachment 31106

But if Western Christians p[refer a true portrayal of Jesus then pictures like this next one are just a joke.
View attachment 31107

It has to be said - Isaiah makes it clear of the Coming Messiah
"there is no beauty that we should desire him."
Jesus was a plain Jewish man.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
It has to be said - Isaiah makes it clear of the Coming Messiah
"there is no beauty that we should desire him."
Jesus was a plain Jewish man.
It's no good quoting Isaiah's prophecy to prove what Jesus was. I don't think Isaiah had Jesus in mind imo. It can be argured that that's just Christianity reversing itself in to any convenient corner.

The early church actually feminised Jesus, as shown in its earliest artwork, as shown to you on this thread. You see, Mary did not get so much attention in the early years and Romans needed female dieties as well as male.

PruePhillip

It's no good quoting Isaiah's prophecy to prove what Jesus was. I don't think Isaiah had Jesus in mind imo. It can be argured that that's just Christianity reversing itself in to any convenient corner.

The early church actually feminised Jesus, as shown in its earliest artwork, as shown to you on this thread. You see, Mary did not get so much attention in the early years and Romans needed female dieties as well as male.

The "early church" feminized artwork. I can state plainly that the foundation church
did not represent spiritual things in artwork. That was a big no no in the bible - you
are reducing spiritual things to the physical.
"Early church" refers to many splinter and apostate groups that are mentioned often
in the New Testament. One of these figures in John's epistles, Diotrephes, could have
been the first Catholic bishop.

Isaiah DID speak of the Messiah. He wrote of Him continually. The latter half of
Isaiah 52 and all of 53 refer to the Messiah.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
you
are reducing spiritual things to the physical.
Exactly! Historians try to do that!
And it's a fact that the early church did indeed tend to feminise Jesus, because Mary had notr been developed as a replacement for female Roman dieties.

"Early church" refers to many splinter and apostate groups that are mentioned often in the New Testament.
Most early depictions of Jesus have been found in the Roman catacombs....... Catholicism.

Isaiah DID speak of the Messiah. He wrote of Him continually. The latter half of Isaiah 52 and all of 53 refer to the Messiah.
Indeed. I wonder if he meant it was Jesus?
I'll have a look and make my own opinion.

PruePhillip

Exactly! Historians try to do that!
And it's a fact that the early church did indeed tend to feminise Jesus, because Mary had notr been developed as a replacement for female Roman dieties.

Most early depictions of Jesus have been found in the Roman catacombs....... Catholicism.

Indeed. I wonder if he meant it was Jesus?
I'll have a look and make my own opinion.

The Catholic Church is not the same as the Apostolic Church.
It had its holy days, physical altar, return-to-the-law, worldly
ambitions.... etc.. Things that Jude, Peter, John and Paul
warned the congregation against. Read Romans and Hebrews.

Jonathan Bailey

I think you're making a subtle distinction OP didn't intend. I'm pretty sure he's just having a rant at the idea of a female playing the role of Jesus in any given depiction, not about portraying or depicting Jesus himself as actually female, per se.
Correct: women (actresses or mimes) have no business portraying Jesus; I believe the real Jesus Christ is solely a male entity, the only begotten Son of God. It's hard for me to dispute the meaning of masculine terms in the bible. If God were to have otherwise wanted a female entity to save us from our sins, He would have sent an only begotten Daughter to the cross.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
Correct: women (actresses or mimes) have no business portraying Jesus; I believe the real Jesus Christ is solely a male entity, the only begotten Son of God. It's hard for me to dispute the meaning of masculine terms in the bible. If God were to have otherwise wanted a female entity to save us from our sins, He would have sent an only begotten Daughter to the cross.
:rolleyes:

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
And what's the deal with painted depictions of Jesus? Jesus was the begotten son of God, not paint! To depict him in paint is sacrilegious and mocks the deity, because I am a moron, and cannot tell the difference between symbols and the thing they represent.

pearl

Mother Angelica thought so in 1993.

Mother Angelica was a Catholic fundamentalist who abhorred any form of ecumenism, refusing to acknowledge the presence of Christ in any other community other than Catholic.
There are Catholic theologians with differing opinions.
One third of the Catholic theology professors in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland have signed a declaration calling for women’s ordination and lamenting "traditionalism" in the liturgy.

The 144 signatories note that the last year has been one of "unprecedented crisis" for the Church in Germany because of the sexual abuse scandal. Referring ten times to "freedom"-- including "the freedom of the Gospel message," "the biblical message of freedom," and "freedom of conscience"-- the signatories call for married priests, women’s ordination, and lay participation in the election of bishops and priests. The theologians also urge Church leaders "not to exclude" those who have remarried and those in homosexual partnerships.

The Church’s worship, the theologians add, must not "freeze in traditionalism."

https://www.catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=30703