• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it wrong that a female portray Jesus Christ?

Duke_Leto

Correct: women (actresses or mimes) have no business portraying Jesus; I believe the real Jesus Christ is solely a male entity, the only begotten Son of God. It's hard for me to dispute the meaning of masculine terms in the bible. If God were to have otherwise wanted a female entity to save us from our sins, He would have sent an only begotten Daughter to the cross.

I think everyone accepts that Jesus was a dude. What I’m confused by is why that makes it so wrong for women to portray him. Is it also wrong for white people to portray him? Black people? East Asians?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I think everyone accepts that Jesus was a dude. What I’m confused by is why that makes it so wrong for women to portray him. Is it also wrong for white people to portray him? Black people? East Asians?
They’re not wimmen!!!

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
Mother Angelica thought so in 1993.
I think so too.

I think it was an embarrassment to America when the Pope visited Denver to see a broad portraying Christ.

I do believe that God has one and only one begotten Son. No begotten daughters of God are ever mentioned in the Good Book.

Can you imagine a woman playing Babe Ruth in a film or even Neil Armstrong?
Can you imagine a girl playing Pinocchio?
Can you imagine a boy playing Mary, the Mother of Jesus (except in Shakespeare's time)?
Can you imagine a muscle man like Hulk Hogan, Arnold Schwarzenegger or the Iron Sheik playing Queen Victoria?

I don't see your analogy.

Jesus wasn’t macho – Teaching Humble Hearts

Jesus is not a muscle man, Hulk Hogan, Arnold Schwarzenegger, or Charles Atlas.

In fact, his teachings were more like Lao Tzu's than any of these action heroes.
There's a story among Taoist parables, where this guy tries to teach his son to "be a man." The dad is basically tough jerk, and is trying to tell him all this aggressive stuff. But then they mean Lao Tzu on the way, who asks him to look at this strong rigid oak tree and how the last storm snapped it, while the young sapling bent with the storm. Then likewise he asked what the strongest body part was as the teeth, and then the weakest as the tongue. Lao Tzu showed how his tongue was still very much around, but his teeth were kinda gone.

Jesus at a time when people were very macho, was telling me and women to be meek, to be gentle, to be kind. To let others hurt you sometimes. To be vulnerable.

Jesus is kinda a Peter Pan archetype, it would be perfectly fine with me if a woman was Jesus.

There's a possibility Jesus may have been both male and female in terms of what organs he had, see this article:

Jesus may have been a hermaphrodite, claims academic

So at least one academic is entertaining it as a possibility

Jesus came into the world by virgin birth, which is to say parthenogenesis. In such a circumstance, usually the child is a clone of the mother. But a mutated (essentially an XX male) clone would be possible. Such a child would probably be sterile and not terribly interested in sex.

In Jewish law, there were actually six genders. And the reason there were six genders? They kept track (circumcision).

More Than Just Male and Female: The Six Genders in Classical Judaism

Zachar (Male)
Nekeivah (Female)
Androgynos (Intersex)
Tumtum (Neuter/No gender)
Ay'lonit (Female at birth but strong male characteristics, or simply a barren woman)
Saris (Male at birth but having strong female characteristics,or a barren man)

Jesus was probably not neuter or intersex, but could have been by all appearances a male externally.

A Saris would have had some duties in the temple and be able to be a Rabbi, but as a male without children would not be a Cohen (priest).

Now, the passage where Jesus resurrects and is seen by the disciples "but they do not recognize" Jesus is suddenly more interesting.

Last edited: