• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it necessary to be baptized as an adult, if you were baptized as a baby?

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
I never gave a time frame. Changes have ranged from - off the top of my head - the nature of unbaptized babies, to changing wording so that it's all but impossible to fully leave the church.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I never gave a time frame. Changes have ranged from - off the top of my head - the nature of unbaptized babies, to changing wording so that it's all but impossible to fully leave the church.
Not only is it possible to leave the church, it can sometimes be mandated through "excommunication", although that is rarely done. One can also use a writ to remove themselves.

As far as I know, the issue of unbaptized babies is not a part of Canon Law but more through the catechism of the church. Canon Law tends to more deal with procedures than with catechesis.

Do you have a church and does it have any rules?

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Not only is it possible to leave the church, it can sometimes be mandated through "excommunication", although that is rarely done.
While excommunicated, one is still considered a Catholic by the church, even as an unrepentant sinner. You're denied the sacraments (but who's checking?) including a Catholic burial. It's hoped that the fear of hell causes you to repent and "rejoin the fold". The excommunicated are basically "Traitor Catholics".

I am unfamiliar with a writ, though; could you explain that one?

As far as I know, the issue of unbaptized babies is not a part of Canon Law but more through the catechism of the church. Canon Law tends to more deal with procedures than with catechesis.
You are correct there; my mistake.

Do you have a church and does it have any rules?
Nope; not really. Just no racism in our Kindreds.

metis

I am unfamiliar with a writ, though; could you explain that one?
It's a formal letter that goes to the diocese that states that one no longer wants to be regarded as Catholic. At that point, they are not to take the sacraments and are considered cut off from the church. In order to come back into the church, they would actually have to go through a formal conversion process.

Up until fairly recently in Sweden, one had to submit such a writ if they didn't want to be legally identified as part of the Evangelical Church (Lutheran) even if they had no religion or were raised in another faith.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Translation: when in doubt, the Church can just make up whatever it wants to and feed it to the masses. :rolleyes:
Concerning the Catholic faith, you know nothing substantial.

All you have done this whole thread, is to simply declare your own authority.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
Concerning the Catholic faith, you know nothing substantial.

All you have done this whole thread, is to simply declare your own authority.

I am my own authority, and trust my judgment over that of the Pope. How's that for a declaration?

Then again, as previously stated, I am not Catholic.

roger1440

I do stuff
Just curious on something. I was baptized in the Catholic Church as a baby, but when I left Christianity a few years ago and returned to it over a year ago, I feel like my faith is different for me, now. Like I ''own'' it, like it is truly a representative part of my life, without all the nonsense I had been indoctrinated to believe, growing up. Talking with a friend recently, she said that it would be good to be baptized again, because as a baby, we don't have the ability to offer our consent, but as adults, we do.

What do you think? For those who have been baptized as infants, did you go through another baptism when you were ''born again?''

*I posted this in the Christianity DIR section, but thought I'd post it here too in case there are people who wish to add their thoughts but my not do so if it's in the DIR section
You will get the best answer from the church you want to join.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
I am my own authority, and trust my judgment over that of the Pope. How's that for a declaration?
The Pope doesn't have the authority to single handily decide the content of the faith. It's not about "a" Pope's judgement.

But to the real point, I've never once denied your right to believe whatever you like. It's that this is a public forum and thus I also have the right to challenge you and your "authority". You don't have to like what I have to say, and you don't have to respond.

Despite your claimed degree, you are out of your depth and it's obvious.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Pistols at 10 paces, or would you prefer rapiers?
Peter-Dinklage-I-demand-a-trial-by-combat..gif

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Pistols at 10 paces, or would you prefer rapiers?

That is because I don't normally swim in the deep end when someone poops in the water.
Stooping this low is a tacit admission that you've lost. Not that there was anything to win.

Anyway, it is obvious that have no argument. You haven't even attempted to address any point put to you. So unless I see from you a real reply, this is it.

metis

Son of a... Do you know if that's just in Sweden, and is it an acquired letter or just one that one writes?
Good questions both, but I don't know the answer to either. I would have to ask my cousins there, but maybe it can be found on-line? I do know they dropped the automatic belonging to the EC at birth around two or three decades ago.

Stalwart

Are you speaking of when Jesus told Peter that upon him, He will build His church? I happen to think that was not a cue for the Catholic Church to be ''born,'' but rather a man-made RCC interpretation. But, that's just my way of thinking now that I'm more objective about Catholicism. lol :)

There is much more to it than that. There is endless correlation between this event and those in the OT - beyond that fact, why would Christ create an anarchic Church on earth when the Church is an extension of the Kingdom of Heaven? It's nonsensical. This video will help, I'm sure:

Hawk Flint

Just curious on something. I was baptized in the Catholic Church as a baby, but when I left Christianity a few years ago and returned to it over a year ago, I feel like my faith is different for me, now. Like I ''own'' it, like it is truly a representative part of my life, without all the nonsense I had been indoctrinated to believe, growing up. Talking with a friend recently, she said that it would be good to be baptized again, because as a baby, we don't have the ability to offer our consent, but as adults, we do.

What do you think? For those who have been baptized as infants, did you go through another baptism when you were ''born again?''

*I posted this in the Christianity DIR section, but thought I'd post it here too in case there are people who wish to add their thoughts but my not do so if it's in the DIR section

Baptism with water (done by human hands) is only symbolic of an internal spiritual reality. I was baptized when I was seven (by human hands) but it meant nothing. I grew up over the years knowing that I was going against God's commands without caring. What did that baptism do? Nothing. I wasn't spiritually baptized, only physically baptized. Just like circumcision of the heart. If you are circumcised in the heart, you have a heart that is for God and His Law; of you have an uncircumcised heart you are sinful and against God and His Law, but for your flesh (sinful nature). As the years went by I eventually came to Christ.

Now, I have still not been baptized (by human hands) since I was seven. But I am saved. How? Grace alone, by faith alone. We are saved by the undeserved forgiveness of sins through faith, no more and no less. Baptism by human hands is nothing, but the internal baptism is what is something. That baptism is when we die. We are baptized into Christ's death and it is a participation in His death, but it is spiritual. We then rise to a life of serving God as Christ did. Notice here that we die to Sin, then are raised to be alive to God. There is a death first, then a new life. So when we die to Sin it is actually us coming to faith in Christ: realizing that we are condemned for our sins but hearing the way out of condemnation: Faith in Christ; Christ is the Word of God made flesh (John 1:14), so having faith in Christ is the same as having faith in God's Word. God's Word tells us that our ways are evil, and that we are/were condemned because of them. We believe that and therefore will repent if we truly believe the Word of God. Our repentance is our death to Sin, which is a part of our faith. We died, but then we begin to serve God in the newness of life, in the new man. The old sinful man has passed away, and the new faithful man is here. Our old self died, and our new self has risen from the dead to serve God.

This is true about what happened to me. I died to my sinful self, and arose to God.

"Most certainly I tell you, he who hears my word, and believes him who sent me, has eternal life, and doesn't come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life" (John 5:24). This seems to agree with me.

What did the thief on the cross do? Did he go on and hop down to get baptized before death? No he did not, yet he was saved. Baptism with water is symbolic of all this, nothing more. You don't need it, but can glorify God through it. I say glorify God through it: demonstrate the work God has done in you. But whatever you do, do it not for salvation.

Hawk Flint

Found this recently,

"For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body" (1 Corinthians 12:13).

The body is Christ's body of course.

metis

Found this recently,

"For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body" (1 Corinthians 12:13).

The body is Christ's body of course.
Paul repeatedly states in his epistles that even though there are different local churches, nevertheless the church as a whole is "one body" under the leadership of the Twelve and their appointees.

Baptism is a variation of the mikvah that not only was involved in the symbolic washing away of sins but also as an introduction into the apostolic community.