• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it necessary to be baptized as an adult, if you were baptized as a baby?

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Christ came to fulfil the Law, not abolish it. It has been changed, not made redundant. Did Christ not command us and His disciples of many things throughout the Gospel - and did his Apostles not do the same throughout the New Testament, on His authority, informed by His oral tradition communicated to them?

To follow Christ is to be Law-abiding; to submit totally to Him.

So if you follow Christ and submit totally to him, what do you need to submit to earthly masters for? Wouldn't that be counter productive?

Stalwart

Where in the bible did they appoint successors to be new Apostles? The only Apostle to succeed anyone was the replacement for Judas.

Where in the Bible does it state that every element of the faith that will ever be revealed is in the Bible? This is Church history. Do you reject the Fathers of the Early Church?

Stalwart

So if you follow Christ and submit totally to him, what do you need to submit to earthly masters for? Wouldn't that be counter productive?

You need to be taught - just as the disciples of the Early Church were taught by the Apostles. Sacred Scripture is not sufficient on its own in the hands of an ignoramus - we can see that from the tens of thousands of Protestant denominations, each with as little authority as another.

omega2xx

Please read my last post and then maybe you can explain the above?

I have not said a Catholic baptism is not legitimate. Any baptism made in the Name of the Father Son and Holy Ghost is a legitimate baptism. I only said the
Catholic church can't impose anything on non-Catholics.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Where in the Bible does it state that every element of the faith that will ever be revealed is in the Bible? This is Church history. Do you reject the Fathers of the Early Church?

Revelation 22:18
I testify to everyone who hears the words of prophecy in this book: If anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
You need to be taught - just as the disciples of the Early Church were taught by the Apostles. Sacred Scripture is not sufficient on its own in the hands of an ignoramus - we can see that from the tens of thousands of Protestant denominations, each with as little authority as another.

Matt 23:8 "Don't let anyone call you 'Rabbi,' for you have only one teacher, and all of you are equal as brothers and sisters.

Authority is in the scriptures. And spiritual gifts are given as Christ sees fit to whomever and wherever he may.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Seriously? Rev. 22:18-19 refers to the book of Revelation. It is a declaration that his vision was recorded in whole.
I couldn't find the other quote where Paul says not to add to or take away from what the Apostles taught. It's there though.

Stalwart

Matt 23:8 "Don't let anyone call you 'Rabbi,' for you have only one teacher, and all of you are equal as brothers and sisters.

Except for the Apostles, right? Our Lord was telling a little fib when he declared that nobody was to teach anyone else. Again, this is a translatory issue in the same strain as the passage pertaining to 'call no man Father'.

Authority is in the scriptures. And spiritual gifts are given as Christ sees fit to whomever and wherever he may.

Why should I believe your personal, arbitrary, totally subjective interpretation of Scripture over anyone else? Why should I join your coven rather than another denomination?

I couldn't find the other quote where Paul says not to add to or take away from what the Apostles taught. It's there though.

Pretty sure it is too - it's a good thing that the Catholic Church does not take away or add to what the Apostles taught. You are once again neglecting the role of Tradition in the faith, which is equal to Scripture.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Except for the Apostles, right? Our Lord was telling a little fib when he declared that nobody was to teach anyone else. Again, this is a translatory issue in the same strain as the passage pertaining to 'call no man Father'.

Why should I believe your personal, arbitrary, totally subjective interpretation of Scripture over anyone else? Why should I join your coven rather than another denomination?

Pretty sure it is too - it's a good thing that the Catholic Church does not take away or add to what the Apostles taught. You are once again neglecting the role of Tradition in the faith, which is equal to Scripture.

Tradition is not equal to scripture.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Christ's teaching means more when written down by the Apostles than when spoken out loud by the Apostles?

you're not Apostles no matter how much you Catholics push that you are. Don't you have some Santa stories to write or flea dip the Easter bunny?

Kemosloby

Premium Member
A bishop is a consecrated successor of the 12 Apostles. They occupy the same authoritative office in Christ's Church as they did in the first century AD.

...What?

There are no bishops in the bible...The Apostles did not speak of any such succession.

Stalwart

There are no bishops in the bible...The Apostles did not speak of any such succession.

'Elder' = 'bishop'. Same thing, different term.

Not in the Bible, no. But some of those who became successors to certain Apostles are mentioned in scripture, so we know that they existed. The Apostles established churches (bishoprics), and governed over them as leaders; like shepherds over their flocks. Why would they do this only so that it would devolve into anarchy upon their deaths? Come on.

If you take the time to listen to this very brief lecture, it may just be the most significant half-hour of your entire life:

Kemosloby

Premium Member
A bishop is a consecrated successor of the 12 Apostles. They occupy the same authoritative office in Christ's Church as they did in the first century AD.

...What?

They had "Overseers" and anyone who felt qualified could aspire to be an Overseer.

Qualifications for Overseers
This is a trustworthy saying: If anyone aspires to be an overseer, he desires a noble task. An overseer, then, must be above reproach, the husband of but one wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach,…

Note that they do not call them Apostles, or succesors to Apostles.

Stalwart

They had "Overseers" and anyone who felt qualified could aspire to be an Overseer.

Qualifications for Overseers
This is a trustworthy saying: If anyone aspires to be an overseer, he desires a noble task. An overseer, then, must be above reproach, the husband of but one wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach,…

Note that they do not call them Apostles, or succesors to Apostles.

Yet what is being referred to here is the office of bishop.

Watch the video above.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
'Elder' = 'bishop'. Same thing, different term.

Not in the Bible, no. But some of those who became successors to certain Apostles are mentioned in scripture, so we know that they existed. The Apostles established churches (bishoprics), and governed over them as leaders; like shepherds over their flocks. Why would they do this only so that it would devolve into anarchy upon their deaths? Come on.

If you take the time to listen to this very brief lecture, it may just be the most significant half-hour of your entire life:

Psalms predicts the replacement of Judas. That's it.
Yet what is being referred to here is the office of bishop.

Watch the video above.

The overseers, deacons or bishop, whatever you want to call them were not and are not equal to the 12 Apostles. The only replacement apostle was prophesied in the old testament, which is very interesting.

Matthias Replaces Judas
…19This became known to everyone living in Jerusalem; so they called that field in their own language Akeldama, that is, Field of Blood.) 20“For it is written in the book of Psalms: ‘May his dwelling be deserted; let there be no one to live in it,’ and, ‘May another take his office.’ 21Therefore it is necessary to select one of the men who have accompanied us the whole time the Lord Jesus went in and out among us

Stalwart

Your obstinance is honestly very depressing - you reject actual, recorded history, and put your faith in a book and your own understanding of it; not in Christ.

Watch the video. I won't be responding again for a while.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Your obstinance is honestly very depressing - you reject actual, recorded history, and put your faith in a book and your own understanding of it; not in Christ.

Watch the video. I won't be responding again for a while.

I think you've been brainwashed by historians. Here listen to a pretty song.