• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Islam peaceful?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Oh good (sarcasm), another Islam thread.

As you can obviously see, @Afnan there are conflicting opinions on Islam. And, in fact, the same points have been made by the same people more than once because this is a controversial area.

Some observations:
  • Cherry picking verses by anyone does not prove that Islam is peaceful or violent. I can prove both if I chose selectively.
  • Translations are often unreliable. Some parts of the Quran have wildly different translations. Consult many if you're trying to read the Quran.
  • Most Muslims also look to Hadith, the authenticated sayings of Muhammad, as very important albeit secondary to the Quran. But it's helpful to also include them in ones understanding of Islam.
  • If you're interested in compare/contrast, look at the Jewish Torah and the many ways it's interpreted. The issue of "is Islam peaceful" to me is illuminated by seeing that literal readings of the Torah speak of God telling Israel to conquer and slay.
  • Also the holy books of Hindus are full of war.
  • And Buddhists are slaughtering Muslims on Myanmar. And Christians murdered many Jews in Eastern Europe. So there's a vast difference between what the holy books contain and how people behave.
  • Be careful about what are cultural impacts of Muslims versus what the religion is about. Compare/contrast American Muslims to, for example, Saudi and Iranian Muslims.

Last edited:

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
There's no such thing as a peaceful religion. Also there are apparently a multitude of profiles asking this very same question on multiple religion forums.

Last edited:

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
Nationalism is far less peaceful than any religion I know.
Correct, just look at America which has been at war since it's creation, never going more than 10 years without either being at war with its own citizens or invading other Countries. Overthrowing unfavourable regimes openly or in secret, funding opposition groups, arming and training them to do its dirty work.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Hi I'm student from Thailand. Now I'm doing research. I would like to ask you some questions. Is Islam peaceful? Thx for you opinion

I think saying 'Islam is a religion of peace' is just as unhelpful and disingenuous as saying 'Islam is a religion of violence'. There are parts of the Quran which, if read out of context, promote violence but there are also parts which, if read out of context, promote peace. The argument from context, however, is rendered somewhat moot by the fact that Islam teaches the Quran is all true; eternally, irrevocably because it's protected by Allah.

It also doesn't help that Muhammad is viewed as a paragon of Islamic virtue whom Muslims should try to emulate today. Muhammad's story has been whitewashed by Islamic sources (who, being the victors in their part of the world, get to write the history) to present him as a righteous victim of unjust persecution who only took steps to right the wrongs in his society and did so non-belligerently. They think that Islam was in some aspects revolutionary for its time, that that makes it revolutionary today. It does not. Islamic morality & laws are stuck 1400 years in the past - and the unhealthy fear of 'religious innovation' is stymieing all but the most subtle of improvements.

I can't sit here while polytheists are persecuted by Muslims the world over and take seriously any claim that Islam is a religion of peace. There are no Islamic countries where polytheists can worship their gods in safety. I'd be surprised if there was a Muslim-majority country where polytheists could worship their gods in safety. There is a connection between the actions of Muslims and the beliefs that motivate them. That goes for the peaceful acts of tolerance as much as it does for the bigoted acts of hate towards non-Muslims.

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes inded. Muhammad was indeed peaceful and the Unity of Humanity should have resulted from His Message given by Allah in the Koran.

Regards Tony

Erebus

I've met Muslims for whom Islam provides an extra nudge to be decent, caring people. I've also met Muslims for whom Islam provides an extra nudge to be obnoxious, holier than thou people. I haven't personally met a Muslim for whom Islam provides an extra nudge to be violent, though I know those people exist.

My suspicion is that Islam, like many religions, serves to reinforce what's already there. A kind person will be drawn to those parts of the religion that promote charity whereas a cruel person will be drawn to stories of Hell and war.

corynski

Reality First!
Premium Member
FearGod said, "I believe that people are free for what they want to believe, Chritians, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists ...etc"

"Free?"......... Freedom appears to be a very relativistic term, for within all cultures children are 'indoctrinated" into a belief system by parents, preachers and teachers. You are only free to the extent that you can free your consciousness from your indoctrination. Once you are free of such indoctrination then you may pursue all ideas....... J. Krishnamurti expounded this theory by saying that if you believe any system of thought or religion you are being violent.......

corynski

Reality First!
Premium Member
Tony said, "Muhammad was indeed peaceful.....", but that's not what it says in the Koran......

For example there's Sura 9:5, "When the sacred months are over slay the idolators wherever you find them. Arrest them, besiege them, and lie in ambush everywhere for them." Or Sura 9:29, "Fight against such of those to whom the Scriptures were given as believe neither in Allah nor the Last Day, who do not forbid what Allah and His Apostle have forbidden, and do not embrace the true faith, until they pay tribute out of hand and are utterly subdued."

Religions are governments, a fact all believers seem to forget.

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
For example there's Sura 9:5, "When the sacred months are over slay the idolators wherever you find them. Arrest them, besiege them, and lie in ambush everywhere for them."
Who were these idolaters spoken about in this verse?

Or Sura 9:29, "Fight against such of those to whom the Scriptures were given as believe neither in Allah nor the Last Day, who do not forbid what Allah and His Apostle have forbidden, and do not embrace the true faith, until they pay tribute out of hand and are utterly subdued."
What is the tribute they should pay in exchange for peace? Why would people who believe in God and his Commandments, suddenly deny Him? Did GOD warn of this day perhaps in the previous Scriptures?

Religions are governments, a fact all believers seem to forget.
God runs the ultimate Government and we all live under His rules. This is a fact for non believers too. They breathe the oxygen and eat the food provided by God, whether they like it or not.

corynski

Reality First!
Premium Member

What is the tribute they should pay in exchange for peace? Why would people who believe in God and his Commandments, suddenly deny Him? Did GOD warn of this day perhaps in the previous Scriptures?

God runs the ultimate Government and we all live under His rules. This is a fact for non believers too. They breathe the oxygen and eat the food provided by God, whether they like it or not.

Muslim-UK said, 'This is a fact for non believers too. They breathe the oxygen and eat the food provided by God, whether they like it or not.'

You wish and you hope that is so, but there is no evidence for any gods or goddesses except in your mind. I have read of Mohammeds life and I have read the Koran, and I see the same old 'us and them', we're right and everyone else is wrong. Where is your evidence of the reality of any deity, among the thousands of gods created by men.?

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
You wish and you hope that is so, but there is no evidence for any gods or goddesses except in your mind. I have read of Mohammeds life and I have read the Koran, and I see the same old 'us and them', we're right and everyone else is wrong.
I congratulate you on reading the sources for yourself.

Where is your evidence of the reality of any deity, among the thousands of gods created by men.?
What do you mean by evidence? Isn't evidence subjective?

Let's deal with this before moving onto the issue of Thousands of Gods created by men.

corynski

Reality First!
Premium Member

Muslim-UK said, "Why would people who believe in God and his Commandments, suddenly deny Him?

Because they have learned that men create gods.... gods don't create men.

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
Muslim-UK said, "Why would people who believe in God and his Commandments, suddenly deny Him?

Because they have learned that men create gods.... gods don't create men.
The verse you brought up mentioned the Jews and Christians. The answer was, the Jews rejected Muhammad pbuh for not being a Jew and claiming they had corrupted the Torah. The Christians too denied him for claiming Jesus pbuh was a Prophet of God, and wasn't killed or crucified. For this reason these two groups turned their back on God even though both Deut 18:18, Isaiah 42 and the words of Jesus pbuh in the NT made clear he would be a non Jewish Prophet, who they must listen to or be amongst the losers. This is theology, which I think doesn't interest you, but anyway, I'm trying to give context to the verse you cited.

corynski

Reality First!
Premium Member
I congratulate you on reading the sources for yourself.

What do you mean by evidence? Isn't evidence subjective?

Let's deal with this before moving onto the issue of Thousands of Gods created by men.

Muslim-UK said, What do you mean by evidence? Isn't evidence subjective?

Science works with facts that can be corroborated with evidence that can be verified and falsified, and facts are not subjective. Humans have believed in thousands of deities because no 'real' god will show up. Jesus said repeatedly that he was coming back, and... he never seems to have made it.

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
Science works with facts that can be corroborated with evidence that can be verified and falsified, and facts are not subjective.
How can you, using the Scientific method prove Science is 100% factual?

Humans have believed in thousands of deities because no 'real' god will show up. Jesus said repeatedly that he was coming back, and... he never seems to have made it.
If there was a GOD, could you please explain what His attributes would be? I say, 'He' out of respect, not because God is male or female.

I must protest at this point because you are asking me to explain why Christian claim the Bible states Jesus pbuh was coming back. I would rather let a Christian answer that, because as a Muslim, I can only give answers from my Religion, and believe the Bible has been changed, and words put into the mouth of Jesus pbuh.