• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Intelligent Design a scientific theory?

I know, I know...this topic has been beaten to death. But here's something I wrote for English class anyway. Those who look carefully may even be able to pick out things I directly copied/pasted/revised a bit from posts I have written on this very forum. :D :jam: Keep in mind this is only a first draft...
Is "Intelligent Design" Theory Scientific?

We humans live in a vast, complex, and awe-inspiring cosmos. Ours is a universe in which matter condenses to form gaseous ringed planets, huge red giant stars, and spectacular spiral galaxies; in which organic matter forms in a stunning variety of atmospheres and oceans and climates. On this tiny blue planet, organic matter has evolved into life forms so bizarre and beautiful that it calls to mind images of ants running, sharks capturing prey, gorillas nursing their young, flowers blooming, and groups of flamingos taking off, all as if cued to the music of "2001: A Space Odyssey".

But how exactly did we get here? What laws of nature cause these wonders? Science has pursued answers to these questions for centuries, but only relatively recently have we begun to shed light on these answers. In the mid-1960s scientists detected the "cosmic microwave background radiation" (Seeds 419) predicted by big bang theorists. Quite literally, we know the big bang exists because "using radio and infrared telescopes, we can see it happening" (Seeds 420). In 1859 Darwin published his book "The Origin of Species" in which he proposed that living organisms evolve into new species via natural selection and genetic variation. Since that time, evolution has become one of the most well established theories in the history of science. Adaptation, heredity, and the formation of new species via natural selection and genetic mutation have all been directly observed. In fact, some have suggested that the term "law" would better characterize the high degree of confidence scientists have in evolution (Seeds 52).

Some religious organizations, however, claim that scientists are biased by their philosophical beliefs--namely, naturalism (Harris, Calvert 536). Advocates of "intelligent design" theory, or ID, believe that the universe and all life within it "are the product of...a combination of law, chance, and design--the activity of a mind or some form of intelligence that has the power to manipulate matter and energy," (Harris, Calvert 531). Furthermore, they claim that "ID is science and not religion," (Harris, Calvert 531). Certainly many people believe in a "mind" that has the power to manipulate matter and energy--but most call it "God" and rest their beliefs on faith rather than scientific proof. After all, neither evolution nor big bang theory claim the nonexistence or nonparticipation of any deity/deities. As Robert Todd Carroll of www.skepdic.com points out:

"There is no inconsistency in believing in God the Creator of the universe and in natural selection. Natural selection could have been designed by God. Or, natural selection could have occurred even if God did not exist."

ID proponents would draw us into a metaphysical debate, but the real controversy is not whether or not an intelligent entity exists--scientists leave that question to the philosophers. The real controversy is: are the claims of intelligent design scientific?

Unscientific Arguments

ID relies heavily on arguments that have no scientific basis. For example, Harris and Calvert propose "that there are profound religious, ethical, and moral implications" in this debate (532). This claim may or may not contain some validity, but nonetheless no respectable peer-reviewed journal would publish a paper arguing that ID must be true because it has pleasant "religious, ethical" or "moral implications". Besides, science has contradicted numerous religious beliefs in the past, but that has had no consequence on their validity. In 1616, Galileo's telescopic observations came into direct contradiction with Church teaching, but that didn't stop him from championing the Copernican model of the universe which gave rise to modern science (Seeds 56). Some arguments put forward by intelligent design advocates demonstrate an ignorance of basic evolutionary concepts. Many ask the question "If humans evolved from monkeys, why do we still have monkeys?" Of course, humans did not evolve from monkeys--humans and monkeys merely share a common ancestor. In addition, even if humans had evolved from monkeys that doesn't mean monkeys would have to go extinct. We should picture evolution as a branching tree, not a straight ladder. Finally, many ID supporters posit an argument for ID that goes something like this: "Evolution is wrong because [insert arguments against evolution here]". Even a casual analysis reveals that this is not an argument for ID, but against evolution.​

Scientific Theories Make Predictions

Isaac Newton "recognized that the force of gravity decreases as the square of the distance between...objects increases" (Seeds 58). In other words, what would soon become Newton's famous laws made a prediction: if we know the distance, we should know the relative force of gravity. Newton's predictions, when calculated to test their validity, proved so accurate that they became known as scientific laws of nature. In contrast, ID safeguards itself from this requirement by predicting things that cannot be tested--effectively, it does not predict anything. Let's say we have an ecosystem: assuming ID is true, what will it predict will happen to that ecosystem? In fact whatever happens to the ecosystem, and whether or not it is the result of a supernatural intelligence, the observations could not possibly prove that an intelligence did not cause it (after all, even if we know all the chemical reactions that went on in that ecosystem, an intelligence could have caused those reactions). Unlike Newton's laws, no potential observations could falsify ID, and all observations could be interpreted to confirm it.​

If organisms have truly been intelligently designed, our puny intellects should not be able to conceive of a way to improve upon these designs. Yet my puny intelligence can conceive of ways in which many organisms could be vastly improved. Whales and dolphins could be given gills to better suit their environment, and humans could be rid of pesky wisdom teeth (Colby et. al.). In addition, human males such as myself would do much better if their urethras did not pass straight through the prostate gland, which can often expand and block the urethra (a common medical problem) (Colby et. al.). These observations seem to support evolution as a sometimes clumsy process of trial and error, not an intelligently designed miracle. Of course, ID supporters can always retreat into theology given these observations by saying "God could have a reason that we can't see" or "We can't understand God's ways." Such reliance on metaphysical arguments clearly belongs in the realm of philosophy--not science.

Science Relies on Observation

Scientists make it their goal to understand the observable, detectable universe around us. The question of whether or not the observable universe constitutes the "real" universe, or what possibly exists outside of that which can be detected, is irrelevant to scientific inquiry and belongs wholly within the realm of philosophy and/or religion and/or Miss Cleo. By definition, the "mind" or "intelligence" to which ID advocates refer has supernatural qualities, and therefore cannot be detected or observed but merely speculated upon. (Even their speculations show inconsistency--why would an omni benevolent being designedly create such natural horrors as flesh-eating bacteria?) Though ID claims that this intelligence has the ability to manipulate matter and energy, this has never been observed, nor can a scientific experiment possibly detect this manipulation. At best, an experiment could detect energy and matter behaving in ways as-not-yet-understood, but because ID makes no predictions there is no way of verifying that the observed interactions resulted from any supernatural entity (much less an intelligent one).​

The Importance of a Mechanism
Scientific theories provide a mechanism to explain how something occurs. Knowledge of these mechanism should enhance our understanding of nature and lead to even further knowledge. The oxygen we inhale does not simply "turn into" carbon dioxide--there exist chemical processes by which cells in our lungs exchange oxygen for carbon dioxide, which we exhale. By understanding how this mechanism works in humans, we can apply it to other areas as well and understand how chemical reactions work in other organisms or industrial processes. Francis Bacon called such progress "Anticipations of the New Philosophy" (Gower 42).

ID can give no mechanism for how an intelligence or mind "manipulated" matter or energy. Nor does ID define the extent of this role. Is the intelligence made out of physical materials? If so, which ones? If not, how does a non-physical object interact with a physical object? Did the intelligence create cells, or just the DNA inside them? None of these questions are answered by intelligent design supporters. ID does not further scientific knowledge in any way, for it's conclusion "God made it happen" is tantamount to saying "it happened," which we already know.

Occam's Razor​

Scientists employ Occam's Razor to remove any unnecessary entities from an explanation. In other words, in science the simplest explanation tends to be the correct one. Isaac Newton's scientific description of gravity involved a force pulling massive objects together. Now, it would violate Occam's Razor for Newton to state that demons live in massive objects and exert a force on other massive objects. Undetectable demons could very well live in all objects and cause the force of gravity, but this explanation is unscientific: the scientific explanation obeys Occam's Razor by only including that which is essential to explaining the observed phenomenon--the "force" of gravity. Besides, undetectable demons might not be the ones causing the force of gravity. It could be undetectable unicorns, or pixies.​

ID violates Occam's Razor because it adds unnecessary entities into the equation. If a supernatural event is an acceptable explanation for our origins, it would be simpler to say "The universe and life just appeared," than to say "An intelligence caused the universe and life to just appear." Notice that both explanations can account for what we observe (the universe and life) but that the first explanation is simpler. Science still does not claim that this simpler explanation is "truth" but only that it best fits observation--and of course, science is constrained by observation. In the words of actor Harrison Ford in the movie "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade", science "...is the search for facts, not truth."

Is ID Scientific?
Everywhere you go, everywhere you look, there are people who believe things that cannot be proven scientifically. On this little planet we have pagans, Wiccans, Buddhists, Muslims, Jews, Catholics, Satanists, deists--and many more too numerous to name. Perhaps the reason there exists so much diversity of opinion among the religious/philosophical beliefs of humankind is because neither the Resurrection of Christ, nor the miracles of Mohammad, nor witchcraft, nor any other metaphysical belief can be scientifically proven. (In fact, many beliefs--such as Miss Cleo's tarot card readings--fly in the face of decades of scientific inquiry.) Some accept these facts, relying on faith rather than empirical evidence for vindication. Still, some feel it necessary to bash scientific investigations to "open up the gaps" for their own religious convictions, which they disguise as scientific theory.

This is clearly the agenda of those who challenge evolution and big bang theory with so-called "intelligent design" theory. Vast quantities of observable evidence back the claim that the universe originates and operates from a combination of law and chance. No observable evidence exists to warrant "a mind with the power to manipulate matter and energy" (Harris, Calvert 531). Proponents claim that "ID is science and not religion," (Harris, Calvert 531). Yet surveys of thousands of peer-reviewed biological journals, conducted by three independent universities, failed to produce a single scientific paper expounding the merits of intelligent design ("15 Answers" 2). Thus, ID theory leaves the realm of earnest metaphysical inquiry and enters that of pseudoscience. Michael A. Seeds, science writer and author of "Astronomy" describes pseudoscience as "a set of beliefs that appear to be based on scientific ideas but that fail to obey the most basic rules of science." Given its lack of definition, its violation of Occam's Razor, its failure to make any predictions, and its total lack of observable evidence, I'd say intelligent design theory fits the definition of "pseudoscience" perfectly.

Works Cited
"15 Answers to Creationist Nonsense." Scientific American. July 2002. <http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=000D4FEC-7D5B-1D07-8E49809EC588EEDF&pageNumber=2&catID=2>. 10 Nov. 2004.

Colby, Chris, Loren Petrich et. al. "Evidence for Jury-Rigged Design in Nature." The Talk.Origins Archive. 1992-1993. <http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/jury-rigged.html>. 10 Nov. 2004.

Gower, Barry. "Scientific Method: A Historical and Philosophical Introduction." London: New York Routledge, 2002.

Harris, William S., and John H. Calvert. "Intelligent Design." The National Catholic Bioethics Quartarly. Autumn 2003. Selected Articles and Publications of members of IDnet. 2003. <http://www.intelligentdesignnetwork.org/NCBQ3_3HarrisCalvert.pdf>. 10 Nov. 2004.

Seeds, Michael A. "Astronomy." California: Brooks/Cole, 2005.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Mr_Spinkles said:
Scientists employ Occam's Razor to remove any unnecessary entities from an explanation. ...
Actually, I suspect that Occam's Razor is over-valued by the layman and largely ignored by the scientist.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
At best, Occam's Razor conveys an underwhelming tautology: "unnecessary things are unnecessary". At its worse, it makes an unwarranted statement about nature: as pattern-matching creatures we want and like simple answers, but there is simply no philosophical or scientific reason to assert that the simplest or most parsimonious explanation is necessarily the correct one.

The only way I can see to restore Occam to his former (e.g., ante-quantum theory) glory would be to join Popper and redefine simplicity as 'ease of falsification'.

What you're saying makes sense. How much, then, of my two paragraphs on Occam's Razor do you think can be salvaged? I welcome constructive criticism.

Ceridwen018

I agree with Deut on that one. It's obviously irresponsible and unscientific within itself to assume that the simplest explanation will always be the correct one. In truth, creationism would win the Occam's Razor battle over the ever-complex abiogenesis and evolution.

Instead of 'simplest', it should be 'most scientific'. Evolution is undoubtedly more scientific than creationsim, though creationism be much simpler.

If you have two equally scientific theories though, I think the 'simplest' factor might come into play, but then also it's a matter of probability, I suppose. The simpler explanation is labeled as such usually do to the fact that it is more probable.

Ceridwen018

Alright, I have a bone to pick here. I started a thread a couple of days ago, called "Evidence FOR Creationism." In every evolution/creationism discussion, it's always the evolutionists on the defensive, and the creationists on the offensive. The creationists never actually post any of their own evidence, simply evidence against evolution.

Soo, I thought this thread would be a good idea because I really am (was) interested in the science behind the creationist theory.

The thread remains blank.

I'm a bit flabbergasted, to say the very least. I thought that creationists had to have SOMETHING scientific to back themselves up, but it appears I was wrong. Now, instead of incorrect logic, I see that they employ no logic at all.....I guess this is the sort of thing that happens in a society where 'survival of the fittest' doesn't apply.

kbc_1963

Is "Intelligent Design" Theory Scientific?

Yes it is.

The basis of intelligent design is the observation of living things and finding that randomness cannot make complex specific designs so it is reasonable to theorize controlled design.
science has had many years to prove natural beginnings and the more it learns about life at a microscopic and atomic level the more improbable random chance has become.
by assuming that we are the only intelligent life/beings science has put blinders on scientist in order to disqualify a being that may be as far beyond us as we are beyond a microbe.
so I must ask you "if we as the highest form of life on a planet with millions of forms, exist then why is it so incomprehensible that there could be a being beyond our ability to detect at this time"?
your arguement is the same as the flat world believers who for lack of ability to see the curvature of the earth denied the possibility of its existence and forced their beliefs onto less intelligent people.
the reason that we (creationist) come at evolutionist with evidence against it is because the intelligent designer we believe in in not subject to our limited perception at this time so rather than try to prove the imperceptable we have chosen to disprove all your theories to the point that there is no theory left for you to have faith in and we are using the same science that you use to back up your theorized beliefs to disprove it, and by all rights if your beliefs were true then we would not have a leg to stand on, using science as the tool to disprove it.
As a creationist I will ask you for the empirical proof of your BELIEFS, and yes they are beliefs so long as there is no proof for them, so once again I can mirror your attack on creationist back at you and once again you can come with only inferences and supposition by interpretation by science without empirical proof.

If you want to make creationist go away forever here is the easiest way to disprove the creationist beliefs,
1)show proof that life was even possible by random organic means

2)show a steady gradualistic line in any of the fossil record that shows one form of life gradually evolving to its present form

3) make life in a lab if its all possible by natural chemical action

4) show complex specific things that occur by natural means

5) come with something more than the everchanging theories of scientist that require the faith of biblical Job to believe in.

without some proof that you are right how do you expect to gain an advantage in the arguement of existence? show me a reasonable arguement that would make the possibility of an intelligent designer impossible, and no just saying we can't test it doesn't prove its not so.

lifes very existence with almost uncountable levels of complexity and intelligence should be primae facia evidence for the possibility of something existing even greater than ourselves and to ignore it as a possibility is not true science since it should be supposed that all is possible untill proven otherwise.

kbc_1963

here is one other cute little thing that will also make me go away,

"show me by any scientific proof how it is possible for the moon to exist in orbit around the earth"

seems kinda like that should be easy huh, but to this date science cannot show any reasonable way that it should exist.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Is Intelligent Design falsifiable? If not, it's not even within the perview of science.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
why shouldn't the moon have formed? They are everywhere. and what does the moon have to do with the origen of life on earth?

wa:do

HelpMe

·´sociopathic meanderer`·
Isaac Newton "recognized that the force of gravity decreases as the square of the distance between...objects increases" (Seeds 58). In other words, what would soon become Newton's famous laws made a prediction: if we know the distance, we should know the relative force of gravity. Newton's predictions, when calculated to test their validity, proved so accurate that they became known as scientific laws of nature.
isn't this besides the point(topic) of your paper?

oh...and mr.newton believed in id, but id is said here often to have absolutely no basis.the arian, as i am wrote more about the bible than about science, he is very heralded in the scientific community, but his very stance on the most contreversial issue of the day is said to be wrong?100%?

kbc said:
"show me by any scientific proof how it is possible for the moon to exist in orbit around the earth"

seems kinda like that should be easy huh, but to this date science cannot show any reasonable way that it should exist.
There are a number of ways the moon could orbit the Earth. The most widely accepted theory involves a large, differentiated object striking the Earth while it was a differentiated protoplanet. The core of the object went into the Earth, and the mantle of less dense material was ejected into orbit around the Earth. This material accreted and formed the moon. This can explain both the density and chemical composition of the moon, and computer models support it as well.

HelpMe said:
isn't this besides the point(topic) of your paper?
No. Read on.

HelpMe said:
oh...and mr.newton believed in id,
ID wasn't even around back then, to my knowledge. Could you clarify what you mean (provide quotes from Newton, etc.)? Also, I never said scientists can't hold beliefs...but that doesn't make them scientific.

HelpMe

ID wasn't even around back then, to my knowledge. Could you clarify what you mean (provide quotes from Newton, etc.)?
he existed before...the religious works we so often question?you didn't know he was religious?if he believed in the christian bible, wouldn't that be id?clearly i don't know what i'm talking about right?

"..Although some historians have neglected Newton's nonscientific writings, there is little doubt of his devotion to these subjects, as his manuscripts amply attest. Newton's writings on theological and biblical subjects alone amount to about 1.3 million words, the equivalent of 20 of today's standard length books.."

http://web.clas.ufl.edu/users/rhatch/pages/01-Courses/current-courses/08sr-newton.htm

Ceridwen018

Who cares about Newton anyway? I mean, thank you for gravity and all, but what did he have to do with Intelligent Design?

I hold firmly that ID is not a proper scientific theory, by the by. It cannot be talked about unless one is arguing against evolution or trying to push god. If creationism were a true theory, one would be able to explain it without even mentioning the word 'evolution' or anything having to do with evolution, and without mentioning god.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Is Intelligent Design falsifiable? If not, it's not even within the perview of science.
Wouldn't this mean that the theory of evolutionary origins is not scientific, since it cannot be falsified?

HelpMe

Ceridwen018 said:
It cannot be talked about unless one is arguing against evolution or trying to push god...
If creationism were a true theory, one would be able to explain it without even mentioning the word 'evolution' or anything having to do with evolution, and without mentioning god.
i hold this as ridiculous, you see, without god(whom we can call pink unicorn if you like), you have no IDer, and this is the whole point, to prove it is or was possible.it is entirely arguable without the word evolution(as said word does not occur in the brief genesis story).

creation as a theory technically could be described in a paragraph, without either god(may we name the pink unicorn already?make sure not to choose the name 'god') or evolution rather easily as it, unlike evolution, doesn't need much explaining at all.

furthermore, the theory of evolution does not exclude ID, entirely, or at all actually since as far as i've seen it offers no cause or director for a start.notice the other thread regarding this issue and the lack of an actual response to the request for a natural unguided start?let's suppose you believe in the heating ball of gas theory, what if one were to ask you how that gas got there?do you understand why evolution does not disclude id since it offers no absolute beginning?