• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God's Love Really Unconditional ?

Faithofchristian

Many Christians in the churches are being taught that God's love is Unconditional.

My question is and always has been.

If God's love is Unconditional, As many Christians say it is, Then why are people being cast into the lake of fire
In the book of Revelation 20:15--"And whosoever was not found written in the book of Life was cast into the lake of fire"

If God's love is Unconditional, As many Christians say it is, Then why was it Necessary for Christ Jesus to die on the cross?

Let's for say, you have a friend that you love Unconditional, But yet you cast them out in the cold. Now Where is your Unconditional love at?

Unconditional means --- Not subject to any condition.

But yet there was a condition, for God to cast those people into the lake of fire.

But yet there was a condition, for Christ Jesus to come into this world and give his life.

But yet there's a condition to God's love which you can find in the book of John 3:16---"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life"

Note ( for God so loved the world)

Now here's the condition to God's Love
( that Whosoever believes in him
( Christ Jesus) should not perish, but have everlasting life)
Therefore God's love does have a
Condition to it.

So my question to those Christians, how do you explain this ?

If God's love is Unconditional
Then why did God destroy Sodom and Gomorrah ?
Then why did God destroy the world by the flood of Noah's ?
Whatever reason you can come up with, will only show God's love has a Condition to it.

Last edited:

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Many Christians in the churches are being taught that God's love is Unconditional.

If God's love is Unconditional, As many Christians say it is, Then why are people being cast into the lake of fire
In the book of Revelation 20:15--"And whosoever was not found written in the book of Life was cast into the lake of fire"

If God's love is Unconditional, As many Christians say it is, Then why was it Necessary for Christ Jesus to die on the cross?

Let's for say, you have a friend that you love Unconditional, But yet you cast them out in the cold. Now Where is your Unconditional love at?

But yet there was a condition, for God to cast those people into the lake of fire.

But yet there was a condition, for Christ Jesus to come into this world and give his life.

But yet there's a condition to God's love which you can find in the book of John 3:16---"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life"

Condition to it.

Whatever reason you can come up with, will only show God's love has a Condition to it.

Gods love is conditional

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Edit

Condition to it.

I assume unconditional means jesus gave himself when he did not need to. So, there was no condition to whether and who he saved because he gave himself to All not a few.

He didn't made conditions to who he saved. The conditions become so when a person agrees to follow him. He no longer is subject to his own morals but that of christ

Last edited:

Faithofchristian

John 3:16 makes conditional. His edicts and punishments against sin and the need to save someone from sin putting that person in debt to god is conditional.

The whole OT is conditional behaviors and morals of god. The context and content is conditional.

I think many christians want to sugar coat god. I notice on RF Jews and JW donf

I assume unconditional means jesus gave himself when he did not need to. So, there was no condition to whether and who he saved because he gave himself to All not a feew

Upon reading John 3:16---"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life"

Notice ( For God so loved the world)

So what is the Condition to God's love ?

if you notice,Theres two condition's in this verse.
The first Condition, for a person not to perish, is to believe in Christ Jesus.

The second Condition, for a person to have everlasting life, is to believe in Christ Jesus.

So the whole Condition of God's love in
John 3:16, is to believe in Christ Jesus.

So God's love is not Unconditional.
But Conditional.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Upon reading John 3:16---"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life"

The second Condition, for a person to have everlasting life, is to believe in Christ Jesus.

But Conditional.
Very similar to a thread to I started, 'The Sacrifice is conditional'.
Now, you were arguing, very vehemenently, that works are necessary for salvation.

Yet, in the verse that you presented, and in your argument, you are just saying, 'belief', is the conditional requirement.

So which is it?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

But Conditional.

Exactly. Simpler way to put it is

For god so loved the world
That "whoever believe in him"
Will have everlasting life.

If it were unconditional, it wouldnt matter who believed because he would die for all. Since he only does for those who believe, his laws would only apply to believers not to all people.

So, in that light when a believer says nonbelievers are subject to their laws without excuse it is false because the conditions are only on believers not anyone else.

Good insight.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

I see it different. God's Love indeed is unconditional. God welcomes anyone [murderers, gay, adulterers etc]. No need for a degree. God just shares his Love for free.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
The problem is equating human concepts of love with God's and justifying what is God's Love based on ancient scripture.

If God exists the nature of God's Love is Universal and reflected in God's Compassion in the universal perspective of Natural Creation. God's Compassion in Creation is the spiritual evolution of humanity and all of existence and not within the physical constraints of how humans would define love, compassion and suffering.

JoshuaTree

Flowers are red?

Condition to it.

Let God be God and there is no condition to God's love, otherwise we tend to fill in the gaps with our own preferences and prejudices.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Exactly. Simpler way to put it is

For god so loved the world
That "whoever believe in him"
Will have everlasting life.

If it were unconditional, it wouldnt matter who believed because he would die for all. Since he only does for those who believe, his laws would only apply to believers not to all people.

So, in that light when a believer says nonbelievers are subject to their laws without excuse it is false because the conditions are only on believers not anyone else.

Good insight.
The premise is terrible, as the statement does not have the same meaning, as 'the sacrifice is conditional', which you disagreed with, in my thread, about that.

Yes, no, whatever...

Baladas

An Págánach
The thread is really about the Sacrifice, [Jesus.
That does seem to be the main focus. Jesus was sent to die for human sins because Yahweh can't stand to have sin in his presence. Said God's love (in the Christian tradition) though does seem to be dependent upon the acceptance of the sacrifice of Christ and the worship God (and usually the Trinity) and nothing else, by the believer, rejecting anything that stands in the way of making Him the most important part of their life. In other words: "This sacrifice was given, and I want to give you my love and eternal life. I will only do that if you come to me on my terms though. So, you had better accept my way or I'll be forced to torture you instead. I really don't want to, but I will have to."

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
That does seem to be the main focus. Jesus was sent to die for human sins because Yahweh can't stand to have sin in his presence. Said God's love (in the Christian tradition) though does seem to be dependent upon the acceptance of the sacrifice of Christ and the worship God (and usually the Trinity) and nothing else, by the believer, rejecting anything that stands in the way of making Him the most important part of their life. In other words: "This sacrifice was given, and I want to give you my love and eternal life. I will only do that if you come to me on my terms though. So, you had better accept my way or I'll be forced to torture you instead. I really don't want to, but I will have to."
I believe the premise is wrong, in more than one way.☆ I'm not sure if this premise is from a trinitarian standpoint, though, it seems if that were the case, then the presenter should know the problems with the premise. So, I just don't know if it is.

☆trinitarian to me, means a familiarity with Biblical belief, that would make this premise, very problematic.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
One could present an argument, that g-ds love is conditional, however, not in this context, and certainly not this argument.