• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God evil because He causes death?

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
Just curious, what difference would the choice make?
Do you mean, what would have happened had we chosen NOT to come to this world?

Many made that choice. One third of us. They never received bodies and now dwell with Satan. Apparantly Satan made that choice seem pretty appealing at the time. The rest of us chose to follow Christ and his plan.

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
My parents made the choice to have me, I had no input into the process. Therefore, your supposed god bears the blame for all of my suffering.

How do you know for sure? Maybe you chose your parents. It's possible. Just because you don't remember, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Do you mean, what would have happened had we chosen NOT to come to this world?

Many made that choice. One third of us. They never received bodies and now dwell with Satan. Apparantly Satan made that choice seem pretty appealing at the time. The rest of us chose to follow Christ and his plan.
I understood mball to be talking about making the choice of coming into a world where evil and suffering exist. I never had that choice, that's for sure. But then I asked what difference that would make? Would him choosing a perfect world eliminate evil and suffering anyways? See what I mean?

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
I understood mball to be talking about making the choice of coming into a world where evil and suffering exist. I never had that choice, that's for sure. But then I asked what difference that would make? Would him choosing a perfect world eliminate evil and suffering anyways? See what I mean?

Whether or not that was an option, I don't really know. I doubt we did have the option of a perfect world, because we are here to be tested, and what kind of test would that be? It's like taking a final exam with all the answers already in place. What's the point?

How do you know what you chose? Some people here are quick to blame God for something they can't be sure of. And not so quick to consider another side.

Quiddity

Whether or not that was an option, I don't really know. I doubt we did have the option of a perfect world, because we are here to be tested, and what kind of test would that be? It's like taking a final exam with all the answers already in place. What's the point?

How do you know what you chose? Some people here are quick to blame God for something they can't be sure of. And not so quick to consider another side.
I think the issue is more about not even wanting to take the test. In which I would say what is the point of complaining about a test you don't even believe exist. ;)

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
I think the issue is more about not even wanting to take the test. In which I would say what is the point of complaining about a test you don't even believe exist. ;)

I believe simply being here was a choice. God is all about choice/agency. It was a guaranteed gift to us, with all the consequences. I don't believe we were forced into this life (test), and many chose not to do it.

Like my analogy of the mountain climber. We wanted that prize. We wanted to reach the top of the mountain, knowing the risks and what it would take to get there.

Quiddity

I believe simply being here was a choice. God is all about choice/agency. It was a guaranteed gift to us, with all the consequences. I don't believe we were forced into this life (test), and many chose not to do it.

Like my analogy of the mountain climber. We wanted that prize. We wanted to reach the top of the mountain, knowing the risks and what it would take to get there.
Are you talking about having a choice in our very existance?

crystalonyx

I know I didn't choose to exist, it was forced upon me.

gnomon

Is this the post you are talking about.

"Using the notion of evil against the existence of a God is absurd. How an atheist could ever posit such an argument and still maintain an atheistic viewpoint.......is absurd as well." - gnomon

Why don't you try researching the subject some. I think you'll find that you are wrong. I would also like to point out that there is no code of conduct within atheism. The only thing that is absurd here is your idea that we must all act/think a certain way.

The Problem of Evil (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

No code of conduct within atheism!:eek:

I would never have known that. What with...me being an atheist and all.:sarcastic

The assertion of the problem of evil is irrelevant to my post you referenced.

At what point am I wrong in asserting that atheists using a characterization of an object they don't believe in as a reason to not believe in that object as being absurd.

Oh wait....I'm not wrong.:D

I'll check back again in a couple of days to see if anyone has yet to get the first clue.

edit: Here's a hint. Since this is getting old and I am guilty of being purposely obtuse. Imagine an individual which cannot believe that which they don't see asserting a disbelief in the invisible pink unicorn because it's pink.

Jeremiah

No code of conduct within atheism!:eek:

I would never have known that. What with...me being an atheist and all.:sarcastic

The assertion of the problem of evil is irrelevant to my post you referenced.

At what point am I wrong in asserting that atheists using a characterization of an object they don't believe in as a reason to not believe in that object as being absurd.

Oh wait....I'm not wrong.:D

I'll check back again in a couple of days to see if anyone has yet to get the first clue.

edit: Here's a hint. Since this is getting old and I am guilty of being purposely obtuse. Imagine an individual which cannot believe that which they don't see asserting a disbelief in the invisible pink unicorn because it's pink.

The problem of evil hardly works like your analogy. It is simple. A theory is proposed to you that a god exist. This god is all powerful, all knowing and is perfectly good. You than reject that theory because it is inconsistent with the evidence at hand. If it was not for these inconsistencies in the god theory than I would be agnostic. But beside that fact I came here to these religious forums to discuss religious topics such as God. But for some strange reason you seem to have a problem with that.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
But beside that fact I came here to these religious forums to discuss religious topics such as God. But for some strange reason you seem to have a problem with that.

Of course he does! Why would you discuss God on a religious forum? And where did you learn to argue? You never take a premise you don't believe, to be true! Everybody knows that. Instead of trying to reason with someone of faith, you just simply tell them: God does not exist. End of story. Don't ever try to see the other person's side of things! That's just absurd! :rolleyes:

lockyfan

God does not create death. Death is the wage that we pay when we sin. The only human to have never sinned in their life was Jesus Christ, because he ransomed a perfect life to replace the one Adam lost when he sinned. It was through Adam that sin entered the world and it is through christ that sin will leave the world, but that does not happen until after Armageddon.