• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God constantly trying to convince us of His Existence?

lunamoth

Will to love
If God exists, and if God is a loving God, wouldn't he be trying to be in a relationship with us 24/7? It's not like he would get tired or lose patience. He's infinite, right?

So if this is the case, than if someone DOESN'T see evidence of that effort, there are only two options:

1) A loving God does not exist, hence the lack of evidence.

2) We are blind to God's efforts, whether by our own will or some other cause.

What do you think? Aren't these the only two options?

As far as my experience goes, God is always there sustaining us whether we know it or not. Knowing God is like one of those 3D magic pictures. Once you see it you can't unsee it. I know this is not everyone's experince, but it is mine.

Popeyesays

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." is a spiritual truth.

"I ate a bagel with cream cheese for breakfast" is a material truth, (unrecorded by history and by tomorrow morning utterly unproveable other than through my testimony).

"God is love." is a claim to absolute truth but it is a failure, because God is many things, some of which I cannot even conceive much less enumerate.

Regards,
Scott

Popeyesays

Are you saying that my bible is wrong?! :eek:

I am saying you are reading it superficially and with the desire to find what you wish to find to advance an agenda you already had in place, AND assuming that your reasoning is somehow so original that every reader of your words should be swayed to follow your opinion.

Please pardon the run-on sentence, but I find it very apropos to describe it in the same kind of concrete mindset it was voiced in.

Regards,
Scott

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I am saying you are reading it superficially and with the desire to find what you wish to find to advance an agenda you already had in place, AND assuming that your reasoning is somehow so original that every reader of your words should be swayed to follow your opinion.

Please pardon the run-on sentence, but I find it very apropos to describe it in the same kind of concrete mindset it was voiced in.

Regards,
Scott

My point was that any bible is no more correct than one I could write myself. Anyway, I am not going to argue with you, because arguing about religion is one of the biggest wastes of time... Have a nice day, and if you are feeling stressed, laugh until you cry. You won't even know if you are happy or sad by the time you are through. :D

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Didn't he wipe out a bunch of firstborns because they rubbed him the wrong way, and sent 2 bears to maul some children to death who playfully teased some passing prophet? Surely some children drowned in the great flood. Of course we don't get to see much of his wrath nowadays, despite the world supposedly being much more immoral and godless than it was back then.
Yes; Darth Vadar really is Luke Skywalker's father.

What method should believers in god use to differentiate the myths from the truths?
An understanding of metaphor (which points to the truth in myth).

Jeremy Mason

Why is that a great post? It's untrue. :confused:

To you it maybe untrue, however to me someone must be informed of the choices in order to choose a position, especially when it come to religion. Agnostic as well as innocent in my views apply to newborns when it comes to the existence of God.

Popeyesays

To you it maybe untrue, however to me someone must be informed of the choices in order to choose a position, especially when it come to religion. Agnostic as well as innocent in my views apply to newborns when it comes to the existence of God.

We are, indeed, born in a state of innocent perfection. Life matures us and the trick is to be perfect in a sense of maturity as well.
That's the goal and the test, however, no one scores perfectly on that life-test. We are responsible to do the best we can by our own knowledge and actions.

Regards,

Scott

Regar

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation

Yes, but to be able to refute something, there has to be something to refute. You start with nothing, no God, no concept of reality. You learn these things. You are taught many things, including religion. If a child grows up in an isolated community of complete atheists, that child will never imagine the concept of God. This means you start with a lack of belief in God, which is, according to most, the definition of atheism.

Agnostics are only agnostic because they've been given another option. If the existence of a God was not even brought up, they couldn't be agnostic because they couldn't make the declaration "I don't know whether there is a God or not", which is the most basic idea of agnosticism.

Popeyesays

Yes, but to be able to refute something, there has to be something to refute. You start with nothing, no God, no concept of reality. You learn these things. You are taught many things, including religion. If a child grows up in an isolated community of complete atheists, that child will never imagine the concept of God. This means you start with a lack of belief in God, which is, according to most, the definition of atheism.

Agnostics are only agnostic because they've been given another option. If the existence of a God was not even brought up, they couldn't be agnostic because they couldn't make the declaration "I don't know whether there is a God or not", which is the most basic idea of agnosticism.

What child has ever been raised in an environment without concept of God as part of his/her education?

Is it ethical to raise a child in a "lab rat" environment?

How can your postulate be tested?

Regards,
Scott