• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God constantly trying to convince us of His Existence?

GadFly

How do you know I'm a liar because I believe something? I know it's off topic, but I don't understand your reasoning.

And Tom, I think that's the point of anyone who doesn't believe in Christianity. Why would a loving God not try to have a relationship with us? And to add to that, why would he then create barriers that block that relationship, i.e. sin/Satan, etc.?

That's just the point. Expand on your prior knowledge of the Absolute truth and you will be true to yourself. Who cares if another person is not wise enough to believe in God?

GadFly

The sky isn't trying to convince us of its existence, though.

Shout loud enough and anyone can hear you, even if they've covered their ears.

Shouting doesn't work. Absolute truth is inside you, even atheist should know this.
That type of knowledge is what you survived on, until you learned what a bottle was and it was invented from an absolute form described in Aristotelean logic.:shout

GadFly

I'd add "omnipotent" to that list of adjectives. There's no inherent contradiction in us not believing in God if the God in question is a loving God who dearly wants us to know Him, but doesn't have the power to convince us.
It is not about power. It is about innate knowledge and the system of reasoning you use.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
There are two options. You think with the premises of the atheist or the religious person. Can you think of any other processes of logic?

Yes, but that's irrelevant. The OP gave 2 options, and assumed that one of them had to be right. I gave another option, and so did others, which could also be right.

GadFly

A lot existed before human beings so I think God is much more than just the personal God but it is the personal God aspect of Him that allows us to have a relationship. That is manifested through signs in ones life, sometimes dramatic i.e. for those who have had profound religious or mystical experience and they are around but I don't think he is on it 24/7 in the context of proving his existence. God is more than that. And I also believe in " seek and you will find, knock and the door will be opened." Jesus. So to some degree he will be in our lives to the degree that we invite Him.
You understand it. God gave it to every one at birth. He is the light that lights every body at birth (John 1).

GadFly

Yes, but that's irrelevant. The OP gave 2 options, and assumed that one of them had to be right. I gave another option, and so did others, which could also be right.
I did not grasp that. What third option. Please be more specific so I can differentiate between the arguments.

GadFly

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I did not grasp that. What third option. Please be more specific so I can differentiate between the arguments.

GadFly

Look at the second post in the thread where I give the option of God existing, but not wanting to make himself visible to us, and for us to believe in him based only on faith.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
We aren't born atheist either . One needs knowledge to choose. We are born innocent.

So, from the minute you're born you believe in God? We only come to believe in God when we are taught about Him. That's why Muslim children tend to grow up Muslim, Christian children, Christian, and so on.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
So, from the minute you're born you believe in God? We only come to believe in God when we are taught about Him. That's why Muslim children tend to grow up Muslim, Christian children, Christian, and so on.
No, but atheism is an active stance. If one wishes to pursue the inanity of ascribing theology to newborns, the only rational conclusion is that they're agnostic, as this is the only neutral position.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Why is that, Father Heaven? Isn't the second option a possibility? For example, if you close your eyes there is just as much proof that the sky exists as there is proof of God.

Wacky nonsensical analogies aside, If god wanted us to know, he would make it unquestionably obvious. If you say the christian bible is his message to us, it would've been a very clear, concise, consistent, comprehensible and logical perfection. If it were crystal clear there wouldn't be umpteen thousand different denominations. I need more than mere words from an old book that's been translated and revised a lot throughout the millennia with vague, cryptic gobbledygook that's interpreted a billion different ways. Why does God need interpreters and middlemen, anyways? There are countless religions, countless holy books, and countless sects and offshoots, all making the exact same unsubstantiated claims of being the "truth". How am I to know which, if any, is the real deal? Everyone thinks theirs is the truth and all others are falsehoods, but only because that's what they were raised to believe based on what area of the world they were born in. I'm not impressed with any of that. I need something I can observe and experience.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
No, but atheism is an active stance. If one wishes to pursue the inanity of ascribing theology to newborns, the only rational conclusion is that they're agnostic, as this is the only neutral position.

I have to disagree. Atheism for an adult is only active because another option has been presented. Right now, I'm thinking of a creature that is not known to exist. Do you believe in that creature, even though you don't know what it is? Do you actively believe that it doesn't exist, even though you don't know what it is? Babies don't even have the concept of a god until we provide it for them. If we don't provide it for them, then they don't believe in it, and they don't even acknowledge its possibility, as an agnostic would.

(I'm sorry, S, if I come off harsh. I don't mean to, it's just the day I've had. :eek:)

Troublemane

If God is merely existence itself then everywhere you look you are seeing God. You are God and so am I and so is everyone, (sings kumbaya!) So the only way to reconcile the problem of a loving/hating God is that these are just two projections of emotional states from people onto a percieved external intelligence, and have no true relevance to the actual cosmic Being that simply is ALL there is.
does God love us or hate us? I think the question is relevant only toward a finite being capable of emotion. is the cosmos capable of having emotions????------HMMMMMM> Maybe it IS!!! Maybe we simply havent figured out how to communicate with it?
Or perhaps we knew how, but have simply forgotten....

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I have to disagree. Atheism for an adult is only active because another option has been presented. Right now, I'm thinking of a creature that is not known to exist. Do you believe in that creature, even though you don't know what it is? Do you actively believe that it doesn't exist, even though you don't know what it is? Babies don't even have the concept of a god until we provide it for them. If we don't provide it for them, then they don't believe in it, and they don't even acknowledge its possibility, as an agnostic would.
Agnostic means literally without knowledge. I don't believe in the creature you're thinking of because you told me that it's not known to exist, which tells me you're making it up. If you hadn't told me that, I wouldn't know whether to believe in it or not.
(I'm sorry, S, if I come off harsh. I don't mean to, it's just the day I've had. :eek:)
No worries, love. :)

GadFly

No! You did not understand what I said. At birth every child is given the evidence of God. There is every possibility that a child will believe in the God his parents tell him about. That is my position.