• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God an energy being ?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I've been thinking then I thought that I am energy , the earth is energy , the atmosphere is energy , between heavenly bodies there is energy .

Before God there was no energy and to create energy you need energy so that must mean that God is made of energy and can create energy .
There was plenty of energy or my preferred term to use, potential, before any God came around.

God was invented by the first human who thought it all up to answer his or her questions about 315, 000 years ago.

Suave

Simulated character
No, that just means energy can't be destroyed. Tacking an unevidenced deity on doesn't add anything. Have you ever heard of Occam's razor?
All Occam's razor tells me is that the simplest explanation consisting of the fewest assumptions is most LIKELY to be true, which in and of itself is simply a statement of probability. It tells me nothing about which answer IS actually true.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
No, that just means energy can't be destroyed. Tacking an unevidenced deity on doesn't add anything. Have you ever heard of Occam's razor?

No, but something just crossed my mind. The word god doesn't really mean anything to me. You can put "any" definition and adjectives behind it and it won't be nonetheless true or false. Almost like juggling words and assuming the words themselves have some inherent purpose behind conversation.

But god can't be destroyed. Not sure about an unevidenced deity since we don't know the nature of the deity to know if there is evidence that it exists.

DNB

Christian
I've been thinking then I thought that I am energy , the earth is energy , the atmosphere is energy , between heavenly bodies there is energy .

Before God there was no energy and to create energy you need energy so that must mean that God is made of energy and can create energy .
No, but this guy might be?

upload_2021-11-26_23-25-31.png

firedragon

Veteran Member

IF to create energy you need energy and God is energy then that energy also needs to be created which means that energy also needs energy. Which means God needs to be created by another energy which means a God existed before this God.

This is an infinite regression. Its illogical.

Clara Tea

You must be made of a McDonald's milk shake to make a McDonald's milk shake? This will come as quite a shock to the hamburger franchise employees.

Before God there was no energy? Atheists might argue about that, since they don't believe in God. How do we know that God was not created out of existing energy?

Clara Tea

IF to create energy you need energy and God is energy then that energy also needs to be created which means that energy also needs energy. Which means God needs to be created by another energy which means a God existed before this God.

This is an infinite regression. Its illogical.
Unless God went back in time and created himself.

But then we could argue that the energy went back in time (which is the origin of the energy).

That is, no energy existed until energy came back in time. Then energy existed which aged into the future, then came back in time. (a time loop).

firedragon

Veteran Member
Unless God went back in time and created himself.

But then we could argue that the energy went back in time (which is the origin of the energy).

That is, no energy existed until energy came back in time. Then energy existed which aged into the future, then came back in time. (a time loop).

Still, its an infinite regression.

Illogical.

Clara Tea

Your questions seem rather nonsensical to me, because unicorns and mermaids have never been observed to actually exist anywhere in our universe. Hence, experiments can not be conducted on unicorns in order to determine if they sweat nor could experiments be conducted on mermaids in order to determine the frictional coefficient value of their bodies.

Do we live in a simulated universe with an underlying grid?

Some physicists have proposed a method for testing if we are in a numerical simulated cubic space-time lattice Matrix or simulated universe with an underlying grid.
[1210.1847] Constraints on the Universe as a Numerical Simulation

Based on the assumption that there'd be finite computational resources, a simulated universe would be performed by dividing up the space-time continuum into individually separate and distinctive points. Analogous to mini-simulations that lattice-gauge theorists conduct to construct nuclei based on Quantum Chromodynamics, observable effects of a grid-like space-time have been studied from these computer simulations which use a 3-D grid to model how elementary particles move and collide with each other. Anomalies found in these simulations suggest that if we are in a simulation universe with an underlying grid, then there'd be various amounts of high energy cosmic rays coming at us from each direction; but if space is continuous, then there'd be high energy cosmic rays coming at us equally from every direction.

High Energy Physics - Phenomenology
Constraints on the Universe as a Numerical Simulation
Silas R. Beane, Zohreh Davoudi, Martin J. Savage
(Submitted on 4 Oct 2012 (v1), last revised 9 Nov 2012 (this version, v2))

Oh, this is easy. Just ask the unicorns and mermaids if they exist.

Or, we could do what my theist friend did....climb a pile of rocks, find a rock, and assert that it is proof that God exists.

No one is really asserting that the grid of space is there. But, in order to understand the expansion of the universe, it helps to think of a grid.

Cosmic noise - Wikipedia

The link above discusses cosmic noise (electromagnetic radiation, like a radio wave, of about 15 MHz, from the big bang). Parts of the universe were blown off course (like our sun, and therefore like earth) from supernova explosions. But, if not blown off course, mass remained where it was as the universe expanded and that expansion accelerated. To calculate when the universe exploded, it helps to find parts of the universe that have not moved since the universe started to expand. These parts are called co-moving observers. Thus, two distant co-moving observers could move apart due to expansion of the universe, but they haven't really moved at all since the universe started. Thus, the Twin Paradox can not be used with co-moving observers because neither moved relative to the universe, thus time did not dilate for either one of them, though they are moving away from each other due to the expansion of the universe.

We can determine if a star is a co-moving observer by detecting (with a radio-telescope) the cosmic background radiation. Co-moving observers have an even amount of background radiation (not lopsided as it is at the sun or earth).

There are two main ways of doing quantum mechanics (quantum chromodynamics and quantum electrodynamics). Each way correctly predicts some results, and incorrectly predicts other results. Electrodynamics assumes that the small world of quantum mechanics is about electromagnetic fields. Chromodynamics, on the other hand, assumes that the small world of quantum mechanics is about subatomic particles (which could be electromagnetism trapped in tiny loops which we call particles).

That is, subatomic particles could be trapped light. After all, E=mc^2 is about the energy produced when mass is changed to energy (or vice versa). Pair production is about electromagnetic energy converting to a matter and antimatter pair (a process that is well known and commonly observed). Matter/antimatter annihilation is about a particle and its antimatter counterpart turning into pure energy when they collide. Again, it is commonly observed.

If you ask me, I think that quantum mechanics is a combination of chromodynamics and electrodynamics (sometimes we are dealing with electromagnet waves (aka light), and sometimes we are dealing with particles).

The concept of a simulated universe (such as the movie The Matrix) which means that we are all living in a holodeck (from Star Trek), is accepted and promoted by unlikely people (Neil De Grasse Tyson, for example). But wouldn't that allow us to detect the matrix? Couldn't we somehow manipulate or change the matrix?

Clara Tea

Still, its an infinite regression.

Illogical.
Not to mention that I have added yet another layer of speculation. How do we prove that time travel is possible?

It's like ancient people thinking that a man named Atlas is holding up the world. Then it begs the question, what is holding up Atlas? So, we invent a giant turtle for Atlas to stand on....but what is the turtle standing on.

We can continue imaginative but completely unfounded speculation forever, and get no closer to a solution or understanding.

There are an infinite number of things to speculate, so we should stick to what we can prove (which isn't much when it comes to how we got here).

Clara Tea

If I'm energy, why do I have so much trouble getting out of bed in the morning or doing my chores?

Clara Tea

Do unicorns sweat?

Are mermaids slippery?
Most stories about unicorns is that they are wonderful. I've never heard of anyone slipping on unicorn poop. Also, if they fly, a pooping unicorn certainly wouldn't be considered wonderful (unless you don't like someone).

So, I would imagine that unicorns don't sweat (otherwise, they wouldn't smell wonderful).

Very few have hugged mermaids, and they won't tell if they were slippery. The whole idea seems fishy.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Sometimes I sits and thinks, sometimes I just sits. Sometimes I lie and think, sometimes I just lie. :oops:

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.

No. Nothing is energy, things have energy. Energy is a property of other things, not a thing itself. Conservation of energy is due to the fact that the laws of physics don't change with time.

Matter and Energy: A False Dichotomy
Conservation of energy - Noether's theorem

Energy isn't some sort of eternal 'stuff'. No universe and no laws of physics, then no energy. If the laws change, then energy will no longer be conserved. It's problematic if energy is conserved in the whole universe anyway, from the above wiki link: "The theory of general relativity leaves open the question of whether there is a conservation of energy for the entire universe."

Last edited:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

I think that every single thing is energy. Every atom....anything.

I think that God is everything, and every force, and anything else. But too vast to know about us, any more than you know about individual cells in your kidneys, or anywhere. :)