• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is God a Subconscious Entity?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Is God our mind?

Our mind answers prayers, is extraordinary, etc. It keeps us alive everyday.

This world wouldn't exist without our mind, for without our mind we wouldn't be conscious, thus we wouldn't know of this world, though it could physically exist.

Or is God in our mind?

Is God a placebo affect, in our mind?

Is God an emotion?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
God as we imagine him might not exist at all.
we do not have the where with all to perceive God as he is.
It is said We can have unlimited power, if we have perfect faith.
(faith can move mountains)

Knowing this, is more important than it might seem.
If we pray with the help of the holy Spirit, every thing become a possibility.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Is God our mind?

This world wouldn't exist without our mind, for without our mind we wouldn't be conscious, thus we wouldn't know of this world, though it could physically exist.

Or is God in our mind?

Is God an emotion?
Would such an entity satisfy you that it meets your definition of "God"?

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Is God our mind?

Or is God in our mind?

Is God an emotion?
Dependent origination. Nice.

Not really worth calling a god though, unless you enjoy the idea of being called a megalomaniac.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Let's say for the sake of argument that you think you experience your deity. For you to experience your deity, you would need at least three things. A deity. A you. And some kind of "experiencing organ", such as a pair of eyes, a pair of ears, a bunch of guts so you can have a "gut feeling", or a brain. But whatever it is, you need that experiencing organ, or how can you otherwise experience your deity?

The Sum of Awe

Let's say for the sake of argument that you think you experience your deity. For you to experience your deity, you would need at least three things. A deity. A you. And some kind of "experiencing organ", such as a pair of eyes, a pair of ears, a bunch of guts so you can have a "gut feeling", or a brain. But whatever it is, you need that experiencing organ, or how can you otherwise experience your deity?

I don't think you need an eye, ears, or guts... I think you just need to feel.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Two things you might be interested in:

Dancing with the Gods
My thread on the article.

Reposting the OP:
Please read and discuss the article Dancing with the Gods, by Eric S. Raymond. It's a bit long, but very good. An exceprt:
All the Gods are alive. They are not supernatural; rather, they are our inmost natures. They power our dreams and our art and our personalities. Theurgy and ritual can make them stronger, more accessible to the shaman. They can be evoked in a human being to teach, heal, inspire, or harm. Occasionally they manifest in spontaneous theophanies; the result may be religious conversion, creative inspiration, charisma, or madness.

Magic is loose in the world. It is not the magic of fantasy -- no would-be violators of the laws of physics need apply. Real magic acts in and through human agents. The two forms of practical magic are healing and divination. Healing works because human minds have more control over their bodies than we normally think; divination works because humans know and perceive more than they are consciously aware of.
The question I wish to discuss is: Does it matter whether God(s) are supernatural beings or aspects of our own minds?​

The Sum of Awe

Two things you might be interested in:

Dancing with the Gods
My thread on the article.

Reposting the OP:
Please read and discuss the article Dancing with the Gods, by Eric S. Raymond. It's a bit long, but very good. An exceprt:
All the Gods are alive. They are not supernatural; rather, they are our inmost natures. They power our dreams and our art and our personalities. Theurgy and ritual can make them stronger, more accessible to the shaman. They can be evoked in a human being to teach, heal, inspire, or harm. Occasionally they manifest in spontaneous theophanies; the result may be religious conversion, creative inspiration, charisma, or madness.

Magic is loose in the world. It is not the magic of fantasy -- no would-be violators of the laws of physics need apply. Real magic acts in and through human agents. The two forms of practical magic are healing and divination. Healing works because human minds have more control over their bodies than we normally think; divination works because humans know and perceive more than they are consciously aware of.
The question I wish to discuss is: Does it matter whether God(s) are supernatural beings or aspects of our own minds?​

I totally agree with this guy.

Kriya Yogi

Dharma and Love for God
Is God our mind?

Or is God in our mind?

Is God an emotion?

God is everything. Our problem is that we think and experience everything as individuals when in true reality he is all that we are, have been, and will be. God is the source and our minds, personalities, emotions, subconcious, consciousness, bodies and everything we are, are expressions from that one infinite source.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
God is everything. Our problem is that we think and experience everything as individuals when in true reality he is all that we are, have been, and will be. God is the source and our minds, personalities, emotions, subconcious, consciousness, bodies and everything we are, are expressions from that one infinite source.
Sounds to me like God is mathematics. That's not what you mean, is it? :p

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
The best I've managed to come up with is that "God" is represents the logic and substratum that underlies grammar and the entire process by which thought organizes itself through language and form.

In that sense, God is, for the most part, "subconsicous" as it cannot be reflected upon by organized thought itself. It can only be consciously observed by its effects . . . it's "hind parts" . . . if you will. :?)

Kriya Yogi

Dharma and Love for God
But he quite clearly didn't; You can trace the development of mathematics through history, and it came from men, none of whom claimed divine inspiration.

I'm talking metaphysically here. Every human idea or thought springs from God's eternal mind. Every soul and mind in the universe is a reflection from God's being. What was thought by man was first thought by God.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
I'm talking metaphysically here. Every human idea or thought springs from God's eternal mind. Every soul and mind in the universe is a reflection from God's being. What was thought by man was first thought by God.
But that can be interpreted quite easily as "god" being mathematics. Not the source of mathematics, but the structure of mathematics, logic and computation itself. Since that obviously isn't what you mean, how do you distinguish the two?

Kriya Yogi

Dharma and Love for God
But that can be interpreted quite easily as "god" being mathematics. Not the source of mathematics, but the structure of mathematics, logic and computation itself. Since that obviously isn't what you mean, how do you distinguish the two?

Well God created mathematics. It was thought out first in his great mind and inspired into men. Think of it this way. God enjoys himself in numerous and infinite ways through all his creations and ideas. He realizes that we live our own lives but never loses sight that we are apart of him.

I guess you can say God is mathematics but that doesn't mean God's entire being and all that he is, is mathematics. He is beyond all creation and ideas for he created everything and is in essence everything.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
Well God created mathematics. It was thought out first in his great mind and inspired into men.
The entire concept of mathematics-God having a mind is nonsensical. All possible minds are mathematical constructs, and so a subset of mathematics.

Think of it this way. God enjoys himself in numerous and infinite ways through all his creations and ideas. He realizes that we live our own lives but never loses sight that we are apart of him.
The concept of emotions in general seem very limiting to a supposedly all-God.

I guess you can say God is mathematics but that doesn't mean God's entire being and all that he is, is mathematics. He is beyond all creation and ideas for he created everything and is in essence everything.
I am fairly certain that everything consistent can be described by mathematics, and everything inconsistent can't be described at all.