• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is education for women bad?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Let's just ignore all the Constitution, then. We can adopt Communism or Totalitarianism. Why not?

We adapt the Constitution to our modern society just as the founders intended.

For example, we now vote for senators directly. That was not the 'original intent'. But, an amendment changed the rules. That, of course, also affects interpretation of other aspects of the document.

The Civil War affected our interpretation quite a lot, by changing a number of the ground rules.

The point is that the Constitution is not a static document, nor is the interpretation of it static. It is *always* interpreted in the light of the current society and its needs.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
We adapt the Constitution to our modern society just as the founders intended.

For example, we now vote for senators directly. That was not the 'original intent'. But, an amendment changed the rules. That, of course, also affects interpretation of other aspects of the document.

The Civil War affected our interpretation quite a lot, by changing a number of the ground rules.

The point is that the Constitution is not a static document, nor is the interpretation of it static. It is *always* interpreted in the light of the current society and its needs.

As an originalist, it is not to be always interpreted in the light of the current needs. (Since the some of the current "needs" are immoral contrivances. For example, women don't usually need to abort their children. They sometimes do so for convenience.)

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
As an originalist, it is not to be always interpreted in the light of the current needs. (Since the some of the current "needs" are immoral contrivances. For example, women don't usually need to abort their children. They sometimes do so for convenience.)

Who cares if they 'need' to? Bodily integrity says they are *allowed* to. A woman has the right to have *anyone* who resides in her body removed.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Who cares if they 'need' to? Bodily integrity says they are *allowed* to. A woman has the right to have *anyone* who resides in her body removed.

Is it a parasite or a blessing residing in her body?

Bodily integrity has created the sole American right upheld by killing another. And this killing is not in self-defense unless it is a medically necessary abortion.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Is it a parasite or a blessing residing in her body?

If she wants it there, it may be a blessing. If she does not want it there, it is an intruder.

Bodily integrity has created the sole American right upheld by killing another. And this killing is not in self-defense unless it is a medically necessary abortion.

Abortion is just about the only situation where (potentially) a person actually resides inside of another person. Now, we can argue about whether a fetus is legitimately a person, but even if it is, it is literally inside of someone else.

And if that person doesn't want them there, is is perfectly reasonable that they be able to force the intruder to leave. if that involves their death, then so be it.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Billionaire Bishop Edir Macedo made daughters skip college so they wouldn’t be smarter than husbands

The founder of the Universal Church of God in Brazil has said he made his daughters skip college because he didn't want them to be smarter than their husbands. He was afraid of them becoming the 'heads' of their families.

Personally, I find this quite offensive. First, the idea of him 'making' them skip college seems deeply, deeply repulsive. But, even more, the idea that an educated woman is somehow inferior as a wife and life partner is even more disgusting in my mind. The whole mindset of this 'bishop' just seems evil to me.

Personally, I *want* an educated, strong woman as a partner. I want to be an *equal*, not the 'head'. I want to *share* a life, not dictate a life.

And I value education. If a society sees an educated woman as problematic, then I see that society as having the problem, not the woman.

What are your views of this?
That is a catchy title for a post so I had to see what it was about...;) There is a lot more written on this subject, but since I am on the run right now but I just wanted to point out that in the Baha'i Faith, if only one child can be educated it is the girl.

Preference to be given for educating girls over boys if resources are limited

"Education holds an important place in the new order of things. The education of each child is compulsory. If there is not money enough in a family to educate both the girl and the boy the money must be dedicated to the girl's education, for she is the potential mother. If there are no parents the community must educate the child. In addition to this widespread education each child must be taught a profession, art, or trade, so that every member of the community will be enabled to earn his own livelihood."
('Abdu'l-Baha on Divine Philosophy, p. 83)

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
They almost always do it for convenience. I consider that selfish and immoral.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
If she wants it there, it may be a blessing. If she does not want it there, it is an intruder.

Abortion is just about the only situation where (potentially) a person actually resides inside of another person. Now, we can argue about whether a fetus is legitimately a person, but even if it is, it is literally inside of someone else.

And if that person doesn't want them there, is is perfectly reasonable that they be able to force the intruder to leave. if that involves their death, then so be it.

Sounds good until we consider how the "intruder" is half genetically the mother, and the mother's CHILD.

But I know you are against infanticide, so how late do you think abortion should be disallowed?

Goddess Kit

My best friend keeps telling me to not do things, but I do them anyway.

Friend: "Don't you dare."

Me: *Pushes it off the table*

These religious women need to take control of themselves and stop being controlled.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Billionaire Bishop Edir Macedo made daughters skip college so they wouldn’t be smarter than husbands

The founder of the Universal Church of God in Brazil has said he made his daughters skip college because he didn't want them to be smarter than their husbands. He was afraid of them becoming the 'heads' of their families.

Personally, I find this quite offensive. First, the idea of him 'making' them skip college seems deeply, deeply repulsive. But, even more, the idea that an educated woman is somehow inferior as a wife and life partner is even more disgusting in my mind. The whole mindset of this 'bishop' just seems evil to me.

Personally, I *want* an educated, strong woman as a partner. I want to be an *equal*, not the 'head'. I want to *share* a life, not dictate a life.

And I value education. If a society sees an educated woman as problematic, then I see that society as having the problem, not the woman.

What are your views of this?

As a brazilian, let me give you the good news: Edir's views on this sound as weird to you as they do to the average Joe in Brazil

Last edited:

MNoBody

For some men, women are the only thing that they're scared of. Well...women and the police.

it is certainly a lop-sided world
48659_5cd6f94d7e7047d953def29be61eef3c.jpg

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Sounds good until we consider how the "intruder" is half genetically the mother, and the mother's CHILD.

But I know you are against infanticide, so how late do you think abortion should be disallowed?

I believe the woman *always* has the right to remove the fetus or embryo. After about 6 months of pregnancy, when the brain is developed enough to feel pain, I believe that the removal should *attempt* to preserve the life of the fetus *if possible*.