• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is education for women bad?

firedragon

Veteran Member
Billionaire Bishop Edir Macedo made daughters skip college so they wouldn’t be smarter than husbands

The founder of the Universal Church of God in Brazil has said he made his daughters skip college because he didn't want them to be smarter than their husbands. He was afraid of them becoming the 'heads' of their families.

Personally, I find this quite offensive. First, the idea of him 'making' them skip college seems deeply, deeply repulsive. But, even more, the idea that an educated woman is somehow inferior as a wife and life partner is even more disgusting in my mind. The whole mindset of this 'bishop' just seems evil to me.

Personally, I *want* an educated, strong woman as a partner. I want to be an *equal*, not the 'head'. I want to *share* a life, not dictate a life.

And I value education. If a society sees an educated woman as problematic, then I see that society as having the problem, not the woman.

What are your views of this?

I think you have given the best answer already.

"And I value education. If a society sees an educated woman as problematic, then I see that society as having the problem, not the woman."

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I knew an elderly Indian couple (he is deceased, she is still alive) where she was incredibly bright. She was a theoretical physicist in the late 50s, early 60s. She worked with the likes of Oppenhiemer, and can tell stories of meeting with many famous physicists in her youth. There would be a picture of 60 of them at a conference, and she was the one in a sari, the only woman. When they got married, he landed a job in Canada. At the time she was a guest lecturer, going from university to university on 3 to 4 week stints. She once joked to me that she'd always wanted to travel, and this was the only way she could have done it.

But the local university wouldn't give her any kind of position, stating that her husband would earn enough for both of them. Tired of the politics, she cut her brilliant career short, to raise a family.

Edited ... here's a link to a paper she co-authored

Phys. Rev. 135, B769 (1964) - Electric Dipole Moment of a Nucleon

PAUL MARKHAM

I found the clue on Wiki

"Brazilian evangelical bishop" added to that is "billionaire". Anyone preaching so much BS has to have radical views. LOL

As a follower of the worlds leading humble man, how does he accumulate so much wealth? LOL

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Billionaire Bishop Edir Macedo made daughters skip college so they wouldn’t be smarter than husbands

The founder of the Universal Church of God in Brazil has said he made his daughters skip college because he didn't want them to be smarter than their husbands. He was afraid of them becoming the 'heads' of their families.

Personally, I find this quite offensive. First, the idea of him 'making' them skip college seems deeply, deeply repulsive. But, even more, the idea that an educated woman is somehow inferior as a wife and life partner is even more disgusting in my mind. The whole mindset of this 'bishop' just seems evil to me.

Personally, I *want* an educated, strong woman as a partner. I want to be an *equal*, not the 'head'. I want to *share* a life, not dictate a life.

And I value education. If a society sees an educated woman as problematic, then I see that society as having the problem, not the woman.

Is it okay, then, if male and female Christians all attend seminary? And since you're an education booster, can the Biden free college programs pay for this education?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Is it okay, then, if male and female Christians all attend seminary? And since you're an education booster, can the Biden free college programs pay for this education?

Two questions here.

One issue is the difference between secular and religious institutions.

1. That is up to the religion and how they deal with things. That said, I would consider it immoral to not allow both. I see the OP as an example of how religious views can be immoral.

2. No. The government should not be supporting the establishment of a religion. Government money should go to secular institutions, not religious ones. That said, a class in a secular university devoted to comparative religion would be a perfectly acceptable program.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

If you got to limit your daughter's education to ensure they are not smarter than the men, that doesn't say a whole lot about the men folk in those parts.

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

Dumbing down isn't a solution. Educated parents help the kids more. Connected parents help the kids more. The better solution is to be gracious when people can't stand their marriage and want to leave it. It sounds like he's trying to establish clockwork, wind up marriage in his church that never has problems. Maybe its one of those churches that "Doesn't have any divorced members."

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I did research on this dealing with young ladies on Amerindian reservations whereas this is indeed a problem. Thus, many of these teen girls in high school will decide to drop out or get worse grades so as to not chase the boys away. Even some parents don't want their sons or daughters to get a college education because they may move away and stay away if they go.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I did research on this dealing with young ladies on Amerindian reservations whereas this is indeed a problem. Thus, many of these teen girls in high school will decide to drop out or get worse grades so as to not chase the boys away. Even some parents don't want their sons or daughters to get a college education because they may move away and stay away if they go.

Different cultures I suppose.

I would never consider dictating my children's lives to that degree. In some cultures that might make me a bad parent.

Tambourine

Frankly, when it comes to women's education, it doesn't, and shouldn't, matter what men want.

His daughters would be adults by that time, so how could he make them do anything?
I imagine it works the same way as so many other features of the patriarchy - a mix of economic pressure, bullying, and outright violence.

I think it depends on what is educated and what is the purpose of it. It seems to me that the more educated, the less children and families. And for example, if your goal is to limit the number of people, then education can be good. Every action has usually reaction. If you educate, you will get different result than without doing so.

I think people are not usually equal, even if they get education. And I don’t think it is a problem, if people are different and not equal in everything. There seems to be difference always. But anyway, even if people would not be equal, it does not mean that then other must be dictating another person’s life. Life can be shared even if people are not equal.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I knew an elderly Indian couple (he is deceased, she is still alive) where she was incredibly bright. She was a theoretical physicist in the late 50s, early 60s. She worked with the likes of Oppenhiemer, and can tell stories of meeting with many famous physicists in her youth. There would be a picture of 60 of them at a conference, and she was the one in a sari, the only woman. When they got married, he landed a job in Canada. At the time she was a guest lecturer, going from university to university on 3 to 4 week stints. She once joked to me that she'd always wanted to travel, and this was the only way she could have done it.

But the local university wouldn't give her any kind of position, stating that her husband would earn enough for both of them. Tired of the politics, she cut her brilliant career short, to raise a family.

Edited ... here's a link to a paper she co-authored

Phys. Rev. 135, B769 (1964) - Electric Dipole Moment of a Nucleon
That’s very sad.
Being a bornie Hindu, education in my family was always treated as almost holy. For both sexes. But that also might have been because my mother is an immigrant and my father’s age. She was a law clerk in Fiji, but didn’t pursue a career here for the sake of my father. Not that he didn’t value education in women, mind you. He always encouraged me to apply myself in my studies. But he didn’t want to lose just pension. Irrational though it was looking back. He did however encourage my mother whenever she did pursue opportunities. Like when she decided to get a Justice of the Peace licence but since she doesn’t always have a lot of self confidence, she was afraid she wasn’t smart enough. He was the one offering encouragement and support.
Since he dropped out of school but was from an era where self reliance was expected at much younger ages, perhaps he wanted me to have a better future.

Salty Booger

Royal Crown Cola (RC)
I don't believe an education will award you with a higher IQ. However, a knowledgeable woman is certainly more interesting than a virgin.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I would never consider dictating my children's lives to that degree. In some cultures that might make me a bad parent.
I did my research back in the 70's whereas so many reservations were struggling, some literally to the point of having to deal with tremendous poverty that was life threatening. Under these conditions, regardless as to which part of the world we may deal with, familial closeness is like a lifeboat in a storm because each other is all you got in so many cases.

I see this in my wife's family, and now ours, even though we are middle-income, because these are the conditions that she grew up in in rural Sicily. I learned very quickly what she meant by "family", which was so different than my middle-income American family interpretation of the word.

I could tell you one story after another of how much I learned from her, and I applied what I learned when I worked with my students and also the United Farm Workers Ministry, dealing with those who came from Latin America and the Middle East that had to make adjustments to our lifestyle, and it often wasn't easy for them, let me tell ya. And the prejudice and discrimination against them because of their culture and religion was terrible at times. One of my students from Brazil was so flustered in her first month here that she almost quit and went back, but I found a friendly young lady who had a lot of compassion for others and suggested that she take her under her wing, which she did, and it really helped a lot!

In Italian, there's an oft heard phrase "La familia e tutta"-- "The family is everything"-- and this is why.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Two questions here.

One issue is the difference between secular and religious institutions.

1. That is up to the religion and how they deal with things. That said, I would consider it immoral to not allow both. I see the OP as an example of how religious views can be immoral.

2. No. The government should not be supporting the establishment of a religion. Government money should go to secular institutions, not religious ones. That said, a class in a secular university devoted to comparative religion would be a perfectly acceptable program.

Then why did the founders tolerate religious instruction in every public school in the USA?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Then why did the founders tolerate religious instruction in every public school in the USA?

They also tolerated slavery. And not allowing women the vote.

They were men of their time. That doesn't mean that we cannot adapt their system to our modern society.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
They also tolerated slavery. And not allowing women the vote.

They were men of their time. That doesn't mean that we cannot adapt their system to our modern society.

Let's just ignore all the Constitution, then. We can adopt Communism or Totalitarianism. Why not?