• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is education for women bad?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Billionaire Bishop Edir Macedo made daughters skip college so they wouldn’t be smarter than husbands

The founder of the Universal Church of God in Brazil has said he made his daughters skip college because he didn't want them to be smarter than their husbands. He was afraid of them becoming the 'heads' of their families.

Personally, I find this quite offensive. First, the idea of him 'making' them skip college seems deeply, deeply repulsive. But, even more, the idea that an educated woman is somehow inferior as a wife and life partner is even more disgusting in my mind. The whole mindset of this 'bishop' just seems evil to me.

Personally, I *want* an educated, strong woman as a partner. I want to be an *equal*, not the 'head'. I want to *share* a life, not dictate a life.

And I value education. If a society sees an educated woman as problematic, then I see that society as having the problem, not the woman.

What are your views of this?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member

Meh.

I'm okay with society not judging women based on intelligence and not expecting them to achieve academic milestones. And I'm also okay with vice versa, just don't apply it to me. I was judged a lot by my cognitive abilities when I was a male. Since I transitioned to identifying female, if they want to measure my cognitives abilities, they can... but I'll give their opinion even less weight about it than if they judged me based on appearance.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Billionaire Bishop Edir Macedo made daughters skip college so they wouldn’t be smarter than husbands

The founder of the Universal Church of God in Brazil has said he made his daughters skip college because he didn't want them to be smarter than their husbands. He was afraid of them becoming the 'heads' of their families.

Personally, I find this quite offensive. First, the idea of him 'making' them skip college seems deeply, deeply repulsive. But, even more, the idea that an educated woman is somehow inferior as a wife and life partner is even more disgusting in my mind. The whole mindset of this 'bishop' just seems evil to me.

Personally, I *want* an educated, strong woman as a partner. I want to be an *equal*, not the 'head'. I want to *share* a life, not dictate a life.

And I value education. If a society sees an educated woman as problematic, then I see that society as having the problem, not the woman.

I'm not sure what the age of majority is in Brazil, but I would think they'd be free to make their own choices and go to college if they wanted to. But I'm not sure about how it would be in Brazil.

I remember when they used to say that women went to college to pursue an "MRS" degree, but now I've been seeing articles that women now outnumber men in college these days.

However, I think this guy is doing a terrible disservice to his daughters.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I'd feel bad if I stopped talking about this subject with a lot unsaid. I'd probably agree that sometimes smart women are good matches for smart men. But there are cases where smart doesn't help much, showing it's just another attribute of dozens of attributes. An example is football. There are a few gifted quarterbacks, but generally, you don't want the next Albert Einstein playing quarterback. It's better to have one which follows leadership without question even when that leadership sometimes steers them off a cliff.

So, extremely good quarterbacks are smart, don't get me wrong. But not all smart people, and I'd wager the smartest too, necessarily make good quarterbacks.

He sounds like a coward with a tiny and insecure. . . ummm ego.

Education is one of humankind's greatest accomplishments and denying people a college education due to something like gender just diminishes it. It is not only an injustice to women it is an injustice to everyone.

QuestioningMind

It's truly pathetic the number of men in this world who are scared to death of women.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Having known some exceptionally intelligent women, and have seen how much good they are capable of doing in the world, I find the notion of women being deliberately kept undereducated so they don''t "outshine" their husbands to be atrocious.

Of course, I'm a gay man, and my partner is (hardly unsurprisingly) also a gay man. We are both men. Since there is no way to decide which of us has dibs on being the "head of the family," we've had to cope with the fact of our equality in the relationship.

I have news --- it's not at all difficult!

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member

Wow, what a douche.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I wanted to make it clear that what happened to these women IS sad though. And I also wanted to share this article for consideration:

Do Men Want to Date Intelligent Women?

That was an interesting article. It said that men say they want to date intelligent women, but when they actually do, they're suddenly not interested.

I'm reminded of my grandparents. My grandmother had a masters degree, while my grandfather never got much past the 8th grade (if that). My grandmother was a teacher, and my grandfather was a salesman and made quite a bit more than my grandmother. Just the same, my grandfather felt that he was still smarter than she was, even though he acknowledged that she was smarter when it came to "book learning." But he felt was more cunning and had more common sense than she did. And, right or wrong, everyone recognized him as the "head" of the family, for whatever that was worth.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

I wanted to marry a strong, opinionated woman. Love is important for a marriage, along with trust. But respect is also a prime factor in a long term relationship.

I want my daughter's to be strong and opinionated women, too. I truly look forwards to them challenging me on all sorts of things as they get older.

Strong women are a challenge to be around. But it's completely worth it.
I have a dog for those times I want something to meet me at the door with a happy face and waggy tail.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Having known some exceptionally intelligent women, and have seen how much good they are capable of doing in the world, I find the notion of women being deliberately kept undereducated so they don''t "outshine" their husbands to be atrocious.

Of course, I'm a gay man, and my partner is (hardly unsurprisingly) also a gay man. We are both men. Since there is no way to decide which of us has dibs on being the "head of the family," we've had to cope with the fact of our equality in the relationship.

I have news --- it's not at all difficult!

I have no idea who the head of our family is either. My wife is the more forceful, for sure, but that's not quite the same thing.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

My wife has her Master's Degree, and I am a stay at home House Husband at the moment (While attending Uni), and I am completely fine with not being considered the "head" of the household, or even the breadwinner, we are equals and partners in life.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
His daughters would be adults by that time, so how could he make them do anything?
Fear perhaps?
Never underestimate the conditioning a person can undergo from ones own family.
Although this reminds me of that crazy Westboro Baptist Church who pretty much insisted that all their daughters got prestigious degrees. Mostly as lawyers in service to the Church. But still. It amuses me since I think that mostly backfired on them and they all pretty much left.