• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is conversioin to Jainism possible?

I have been looking into Jainism for awhile now, because of similarities between it and Buddhism and Im wondering if conversion to Jainism is possible. Does anyone really know? Thank you for any help!

Im interested in it because of Kayotsarg Meditation, Keval Jnana, Ascetics or Nirjara, and their view of Moksha and Enlightenment. Thanks for any answers!

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
If you start learning about Jainism and strive to live according to Jain teachings, you would have willy-nilly become a Jain and conversion would have become a fait accompli. If conversion means to obtain an identification tag even before living the life of a Jain, then that is another matter.

So what you are saying is that just by studying the Jain Sutra's and by practicing teh Anuvrats, or laymen Vows, that makes me a Jain?

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
So what you are saying is that just by studying the Jain Sutra's and by practicing teh Anuvrats, or laymen Vows, that makes me a Jain?
If in all sincerity you consider yourself a Jain, then who can deny you are one? Of course, situations would arise where recognition of a Jain institution is required for you to be recognized as a Jain by others. In you foresee such situations, it is best to contact them and ask for the formalities of declaring you a Jain. I personally think whenever we need to be recognized by others to prove we are what we are, we are only hypothecating ourselves. There is a story about a devotee who was not permitted to have darshan of the idol in a temple. The sad person, being shooed away from the main entrance, trudged around the temple and peeped through a crevice in the wall to get a glimpse of the idol. It is said that the idol turned many degrees so that the devotee could have a proper darshan. Even today the best darshan of the idol is to be had from the crevice, for the idol never turned back!

darshan = view

Last edited:
I got an email from the people at www.jainuniversity.org that said:

"Jai Jinendra!

Thank you for your email.

You are so right that once you know little bit of Jainism, you want to learn more. As you have experience, Jainism is not just a belief but it is a science.

Regarding your question about getting conversation to Jainism - I am not sure how much you have studied JAINISM, but if you do, you will realize that Jainism is not about just taking birth in Jain Family. JAINISM is for any one and every one who follow this path. Most of our Thirthankarwere born as PRINCE in other than Jain family ( at that time there were KING AND KINGDOM )and once they realized that this is THE WAY TO MOKSH, they all became Jain and teach us the way to achieve KEVAL GYAN - supreme knowledge - and how to go to SIDDHA SHILA so one will never have to go through this life - death /happy - sorrow / and other sin or POONYA cycle.

I am not good with worlds, but I can tell you this much - YOU do not have to take any wows or do not have to go through any other religious ceremony to get convert in to JAIN. YOU ARE JAIN if you believe in JAINISM and try to observe/ learn as much about Jainism. I am not sure which part of USA you are from, but if you feel like giving out that information, I will be more than happy to find near by location where you can go and learn more and become a part of JAIN family .I can also keep you posted with as much information/event happening in the area. We all well come you to walk together on this path to achieve MOKSHA. There is no color /race/sex/national origin or ANY OTHER bar to follow JAINISM.

I am only one email/phone call away if you have any questions/concerns and need any sort of help in regards to JAINISM. I am not a learned person- my knowledge is like a NOT EVEN A DROP OF OCEAN - but I will try to find all of the answers you have in regards to JAINISM.

There is so much information on this website( www.jainuniversity.org ) - I am sure you must be taking advantage of it!

Please feel free to send email if you need any more assistance to move forward to learn JAINISM. Hope this satisfy you to understand that you need not to fear that weather you would be accepted as Jain or not! We all are here to help and motivate each other to do a right thing and to KEEP JAINISM ALIVE for next as many generations to come !!!!!!"

I am so happy for this. I also found www.jainuniversity.org/PDFs/eng-lib/6.2.pdf

I also found this: Print Preview

So I guess I can convert to Jainism!

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
Dear Being, I am happy that you have already got in direct touch with those who are practicing Jains. I have no doubt they will guide you as required. Do share your "pilgrim's progress" with us here at RF so that we too can benefit from your experiences. Best wishes and good luck and look forward to hearing from you.

Zeroa

Dances With Mice
Thank you for the links to more information. I actually ended up on this site while googling around for information on Jainism. :D

Right now I have e-mailed the Jain University asking what sect is best for me. I am very much leaning towards Shwetambar Terapanth sect. I like that sect because of their practices and I like their past two Acharyas: Acharya Shri Tulsiji and Acharya Shri Mahapragya. Mahapragya has often been described as a mixture of Gandhi and Vivekananda, but with Jain Principles. Tulsiji started the worldwide Anuvrat (small vow) movement, which im a huge fan of.

xkatz

Good for you Being! :) Just do not rush into things, let them come naturally. Make sure Jain Dharma is right for you.

Good for you Being! :) Just do not rush into things, let them come naturally. Make sure Jain Dharma is right for you.

Thank you xkatz!!!

I am really doing some indepth research of Jain Dharma right now doing just that, making sure its right for me. So far its all good. I am most interested, like I said, in Shwetambar Terapanth sect, and it fits me quite well. So far, everything has been perfect with the religion and I have yet to find anything bad! That overwhelms me with JOY! Hopefully it all keeps on going as it is. My "searching for a religion" has been going on for a while now and I feel that if this works, that this will be the end. That will be really nice.

After some more research, Jainism is not for me. I just can't buy into it anymore. I was forcing myself too, but thats not right. Im just going to Be.

Oh well, maybe not having a religion will be nice. Im kind of tired of their limitations anyway!

xkatz

Oh well, maybe not having a religion will be nice. Im kind of tired of their limitations anyway!

In my opinion, religion/faith should be something that expands your horizons and your potential, so to say. If you feel Jain Dharma (or any other religion) does not do that for you, then that is that. Again, only time will tell what path you take.

In my opinion, religion/faith should be something that expands your horizons and your potential, so to say. If you feel Jain Dharma (or any other religion) does not do that for you, then that is that. Again, only time will tell what path you take.

I believe I will take my own path now. It is the most limitless path, I find. It is simply absorbtion into Being every moment and living every moment fully and blissfully. That is the most expansive, free, and liberating path I know.

xkatz

I believe I will take my own path now. It is the most limitless path, I find. It is simply absorbtion into Being every moment and living every moment fully and blissfully. That is the most expansive, free, and liberating path I know.

Well if that is then so let it be. :)

Arav

Jain
Yes, you may convert to Jainism. I see that you have lost interest in Jainism though. Understand that the doors to Jainism are always open if you want to return or even get interest in Jainism again.