• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Catholicism a true religion

Stalwart

A Catholic non-Trinitarian is what I call myself because I refuse to associate myself with the Protestants who I consider to be divided, divisive, and offensive. IF there's any CHURCH I would align myself with, the closest I can arrive at is the Church of my youth and that is Catholicism.

By virtue of rejecting this fundamental, dogmatic element of Catholic faith, you are no more Catholic than a militant atheist. One either holds the Catholic faith in full, or he does not hold it at all.

"Such is the nature of the Catholic faith that it does not admit of more or less, but must be held as a whole, or as a whole rejected: This is the Catholic faith, which unless a man believe faithfully and firmly, he cannot be saved." (Pope Benedict XV, Ad Beatissimi Apostolorum, 1914).

Over the years I've studied and acquired my own theology. NO church has everything right.

So you are a Protestant.

Catholicism takes a historical approach to end-time prophecy. I don't.

Then you are not a Catholic.

The trinity is a bogus doctrine blown way out of proportion.

According to who? You? Wherefrom comes your authority? You have none whatsoever.

So, I'll call myself a Catholic whether you or anyone else likes it or not.

You can call yourself 'Catholic' if you want, but you know, and I know, and everyone else here knows that you are most certainly not Catholic; you are a blasphemer, a formal heretic, and an apostate.

Are you one of these obsessed Catholics where you think salvation IS found in the Church? I know one Catholic who's like that and even his Catholic friends think he's fanatical. He's a turn off just like the Protestants.

Your friend is right, and 'his "Catholic" friends' are spineless, and without truth. Salvation comes from nothing other than Christ, and the salvation which He offers can only be attained as a member of His Body - as a member of His One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church. This is dogma. If you deny it, then you are anathema from the catholic Christian faith.

"It is clear that this Roman Church is to all churches throughout the world as the head is to the members, and that whoever separates himself from it becomes an exile from the Christian religion, since he ceases to belong to its fellowship." (Pope Boniface I, Epistle 14, 5th century).

"Now the holy Church universal proclaims that God cannot be truly worshipped saving within herself, asserting that all they that are without her shall never be saved." (Pope St. Gregory the Great, Moralia, 590-604).

"We are compelled in virtue of our faith to believe and maintain that there is only one holy Catholic Church, and that one is apostolic. This we firmly believe and profess without qualification. Outside this Church there is no salvation and no remission of sins, the Spouse in the Canticle proclaiming: 'One is my dove, my perfect one. One is she of her mother, the chosen of her that bore her' (Canticle of Canticles 6:8); which represents the one mystical body whose head is Christ, of Christ indeed, as God. And in this, 'one Lord, one faith, one baptism' (Ephesians 4:5). Certainly Noah had one ark at the time of the flood, prefiguring one Church which perfect to one cubit having one ruler and guide, namely Noah, outside of which we read all living things were destroyed… We declare, say, define, and pronounce that it is absolutely necessary for the salvation of every human creature to be subject to the Roman Pontiff." (Pope Boniface VIII, Unam Sanctam, 1302).

"The most Holy Roman Church firmly believes, professes and preaches that none of those existing outside the Catholic Church, not only pagans, but also Jews and heretics and schismatics, can have a share in life eternal; but that they will go into the "eternal fire which was prepared for the devil and his angels" (Matthew 25:41), unless before death they are joined with Her; and that so important is the unity of this ecclesiastical body that only those remaining within this unity can profit by the sacraments of the Church unto salvation, and they alone can receive an eternal recompense for their fasts, their almsgivings, their other works of Christian piety and the duties of a Christian soldier. No one, let his almsgiving be as great as it may, no one, even if he pour out his blood for the Name of Christ, can be saved, unless he remain within the bosom and the unity of the Catholic Church." The same council also ruled that those who die in original sin, but without mortal sin, will also find punishment in hell, but unequally: "But the souls of those who depart this life in actual mortal sin, or in original sin alone, go down straightaway to hell to be punished, but with unequal pains." (Council of Florence, Cantate Domino, 1441).

"You know how zealously Our predecessors taught that very article of faith which these dare to deny, namely the necessity of the Catholic faith and of unity for salvation. The words of that celebrated disciple of the Apostles, martyred Saint Ignatius, in his letter to the Philadelphians are relevant to this matter: 'Be not deceived, my brother; if anyone follows a schismatic, he will not attain the inheritance of the kingdom of God.' Moreover, Saint Augustine and the other African bishops who met in the Council of Cirta in the year 412 explained the same thing at greater length: 'Whoever has separated himself from the Catholic Church, no matter how laudably he lives, will not have eternal life, but has earned the anger of God because of this one crime: that he abandoned his union with Christ' (Epsitle 141). Omitting other appropriate passages which are almost numberless in the writings of the Fathers, We shall praise Saint Gregory the Great, who expressly testifies that this is indeed the teaching of the Catholic Church. He says: 'The holy universal Church teaches that it is not possible to worship God truly except in her and asserts that all who are outside of her will not be saved' (Moral. in Job, 16.5). Official acts of the Church proclaim the same dogma. Thus, in the decree on faith which Innocent III published with the synod of the Lateran IV, these things are written: 'There is one universal Church of the faithful outside of which no one at all is saved.' Finally, the same dogma is expressly mentioned in the profession of faith proposed by the Apostolic See, not only that which all Latin churches use (Creed of the Council of Trent), but also that which the Greek Orthodox Church uses (cf. Gregory XIII, Profession 'Sanctissimus') and that which other Eastern Catholics use (cf. Benedict XIV, Profession 'Nuper ad Nos')… We are so concerned about this serious and well known dogma, which has been attacked with such remarkable audacity, that We could not restrain Our pen from reinforcing this truth with many testimonies." (Pope Gregory XVI, Summo jugiter studio, 1832).

"This is our last lesson to you; receive it, engrave it in your minds, all of you: by God's commandment salvation is to be found nowhere but in the Church." (Pope Leo XIII, Annum Ingressi, 1902).

"Some reduce to a meaningless formula the necessity of belonging to the true Church in order to gain eternal salvation." (Pope Pius XII, Humani Generis, 1950).

""They could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it, or to remain in it." (Vatican II, Lumen Gentium, 1964).

There is no such thing as a "non-Trinitarian Catholic"; you are a formal heretic, and are outside of the Church of Christ.

You've been deceived. There are fanatics on both sides of the aisle. Some Protestants go as far as to condemn people for not using the 1611 version of the bible, or for being non-trinitarian. And some Catholics do like you do. Claim that only Catholics are in the body of Christ. Being part of Christ body has NOTHING to do with your church, but all to do with accepting Christ or NOT accepting Christ.

According to who? Again, you. And again, you have no authority. Rather than listening to this baseless garbage you are vomiting forward, I would sooner look to scripture to determine the necessity of holding the one true faith founded upon and rooted within the Gospel of Jesus Christ in effecting one's salvation:

(Galatians 1:9):
"As we said before, so now I say again: If any one preach to you a gospel, besides that which you have received, let him be anathema."

People seem to think that because a belief system has been in place for a long time that it's infallible. That's just ONE thing that makes Christianity so unappealing to unbelievers.

This is not what I was insinuating. I was posing the question of how it could possibly be that this near-illiterate simpleton could possibly determine divine truth in opposition to those saintly men who have populated the body of the Church since its founding.

Last edited:

Marty

I will state all that I know about the Catholic Religion and why I think it is a false cult
To become a Catholic you must attend classes /training that can last over a year or longer depending upon you local Bishop/Priest thinking you are ready to become a member.

True Salvation according to the bible is to hear/read the Gospel and then examine yourself and then change your mind from unbelief to belief in Jesus Christ

yet I can not recall ever hearing about this when I was within Catholicism

My understanding of SIN AND DAILY SINS

SIN Which over 90 times in the Bible says we are to repent of this one SIN
Now the Catholic church say this SIN is our daily sins and those that are Mortal can undo your salvation.
Yet in rereading the Bible concerning our repenting of this SIN the Bible makes it very clear this one SIM
is UNBELIEF IN JESUS CHRIST and that no one will be save until they repent of this one SIN.

Further study shows that Christ came to be our Savior by shedding his innocent blood for all our daily sins
Thus all mankind's daily sins debt is already paid in full at Calvary but UNBELIEF can not be paid in full by blood or any other means except by a complete change of mind unto total belief in Jesus Christ

So while each Saturday most loyal Catholics and go to Confession to confess their sins and then have to do a penance concerning these daily sins that were in fact paid in full about 2 thousands years ago
Now to me says they don't really believe in Jesus Christ and I say their socalled befief in Jesus is suspect to say the least that is to say you believe in Jesus Christ and then go to confession each Saturday and confess your sins and then do a penance for the.m says to me that they don't really believe what Jesus did at Calvary

So here we have 3 conflicts between Catholicism and the Bible namely SIN (UNBELIEF) DAILY SINS AND SALVATION.
I have never heard of a catholic repent of their UNBELIEF TO BECOME A CATHOLIC.
DAILY SINS were paid in full by Jesus Christ at Calvary there are no instructions to confess these sins to any man and then this man says your sins are forgiven I seriously doubt he is able to remove any one sin by his own power. the closes we can get to this in Gal 5;17 'for the flesh lusteth against the Spirit and the Spirit against the flesh, and these are contrary, the one to the other ; so that ye cannot do the things that ye would. 'As born again believers. we have the option to sin or not to give in to the flesh or follow the Sprit. When we follow Jesus. then 1 john 3;8b is fulfilled. what happens if we do sin? 'If we confess our sins , He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins.and cleanse us from all unrighteousness1 John 1;9
and then believing salvation is here today and gone tomorrow if we commit sins is total false
the bible says salvation can not be ended once given you have it for all eternity
The law is dead to all believers as all Believer are now under GRACE

Now I admit all Catholics say they believe in Jesus and believe they eat him at every mass./
there is no such thnig as a bloodless sacrifice which the Catholic church claims they can do at every mass
The Bible say without the shedding of innocent blood there can be no remission of sins
But since Calvary when Jesus paid our sin debt. Now believers have been freed from needing innocent blood to forgive themselves from their sin we just need to pray to Jesus for forgivness
Yet Catholicism denys all this and has made a religion out of sins
Jesus in John 10'28,29 promised the believers that once he save you it then became his responsibility to keep us saved until he returns Yet here the Catholic Church calls Jesus a liar and says your mortal sin destroys your salvation
So is Catholicism a true religion where its member are truly saved snd that pope is god upon this earth. hhhmmmm I say no I think they are all lost because what they believe contradics what the Bible says
I won't even get into the false worship of Mary and her ability by Catholic Doctrie to be able to hear and answer and forgive sins.
Well, I will tell you what I know from decades of study and research. God's inspired word, from all the ancient texts, says that there is only ONE religion. Anything else claiming to be a religion is "false religion", since they aren't the real religion. The real one is the "one true faith" exactly as Jesus taught it, in the first century to his apostles and disciples. Jesus said that all sects/denominations/divisions/dissentions are "works of the flesh" and that any participating in them would never inherit God's Kingdom, meaning, they would be destroyed in the final battle of Armageddon, and would not be resurrected as God promised in His word. In other words, they were removed from God's infinite memory, or as it's metaphorically called in the scriptures, "the Book of Life". If one isn't in God's infinite memory, He can't resurrect them. This He called Gehenna, the Lake of Fire and Sulphur, and the Second Death, all meaning total destruction. The lake of fire, and the second death, and Gehenna, are all metaphorical references to that total destruction or removal from God's memory.

So, no, Catholicism, nor any other religion is a real religion according to God. This comes from comparing each individual scripture, to each and every other scripture in the word of God, to determine it's real meaning. No individual scripture can conflict with any other scripture. If it does, you don't have it's real meaning.

sovietchild

I will state all that I know about the Catholic Religion and why I think it is a false cult
To become a Catholic you must attend classes /training that can last over a year or longer depending upon you local Bishop/Priest thinking you are ready to become a member.

Wow is it really how it is? To become a Muslim takes about 5 minutes.

Stalwart

It is not necessary, but it is highly beneficial to that person. Reason of the faith is almost as important as the content of the faith.. All that is required for one to become a Christian is to recognise the fundamental truths of the faith (that is, to profess the Nicean Creed), and to be baptised in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Part of the difference is that Catholicism is not a religion per se, it's a denomination of Christianity. They have their own ways which are different from Baptists or Mormons or something.
After all those centuries there is a lot to be learned! :)
Tom

Talmai

You responded to this: "I won't even get into the false worship of Mary and her ability by Catholic Doctrie to be able to hear and answer and forgive sins.".

Catholics do not worship Mary nor do they believe Mary can forgive sins with the lone exception of those sins that could have been committed against her. [you & I can forgive the sin of one who may sin against us, but then the sinner also has to make right with God]

I know. I was being sarcastic. :)

sovietchild

Then there mustn't be all that much to Islam then, if it can be understood and committed to so quickly.

Yes, Islam is not an extreme religion. Islam is simple. The religion is easy, beautiful and simply perfect. Why make things hard? The Qur’an reads: “Allah intends for you ease and does not intend for you hardship. (Qur’an, 2:185)

Stalwart

Actually, that isn't the definition. ''Protestant'' means specific churches, it's a delineation within a broader label. Catholics may call everyone who isn't a Catholic a ''protestant'', however that is arbitrary, ie has no real meaning to non-Catholics, or as a religious designation.

Since most churches don't even use that label in their title, it's debateable whether the word has any objective meaning, besides meaning ''non-Catholic''.

The very title of 'Protestant' indicates the core of its meaning: A Protestant is someone who protests against the supremacy of the Roman Church. With the exception of the Eastern Orthodox and Coptics, yeah I'd say you're right - to be Protestant is simply to be non-Catholic. Whether you embrace the title or not really doesn't matter - we couldn't care less as to the ravings of apostates. Point is, you certainly are a Protestant.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
The very title of 'Protestant' indicates the core of its meaning: A Protestant is someone who protests against the supremacy of the Roman Church. With the exception of the Eastern Orthodox and Coptics, yeah I'd say you're right - to be Protestant is simply to be non-Catholic. Whether you embrace the title or not really doesn't matter - we couldn't care less as to the ravings of apostates. Point is, you certainly are a Protestant.

And I couldn't care less about your arbitrary, imaginary ''labels''.

Last edited:

pearl

One of the major themes of the Catholic faith is the "people of God." I think it's nice that you have your own thinks, but theology is nourished by sharing it and implementing it within a congregation of believers.

And this is exactly what is found within the NT. The sacred authors shared their theology, Christology within the community of believers and their disagreements with one another are evident.

Talmai

@knghtkings

I just looked at your profile and saw your age. If anything in my original reply to your post seemed disrespectful, please forgive me.

God bless!

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Great, so you're in the business of promoting fables.

That isn't my problem.
No, not really. I think religion is pretty much all fiction. Catholicism is just different from the other, often more austere, flavors of Christianity.
Tom

Kirran

Premium Member
Yes, Islam is not an extreme religion. Islam is simple. The religion is easy, beautiful and simply perfect. Why make things hard? The Qur’an reads: “Allah intends for you ease and does not intend for you hardship. (Qur’an, 2:185)

Which variety of Islam is the perfect one?