• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Catholicism a true religion

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
But didn't Jesus say that he would guide the church through to the end of time and that the HS would help in such a manner? And what's wring with rituals, especially since I'm quite certain you use them.

Jesus taught love. That was His most important commandment which has largely been forgotten and replaced unimportant laws.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Isn't catholicism a branch of Christianity rather than a seperate religion?

Catholicism delineates itself, from basically, most of the rest of Christianity. It purports that they , non-catholics/, literally aren't saved, etc.
Hence, even aside from differing traditions, or whatever, they have actually defined themselves, as a different religion. In this sense, if you say they ''are'' Christianity'', then that would mean that they are the only actual Christian group.
If you don't believe that ,/I don't, then they are a 'different religion', by default. Self definition.

As to the issue of the word 'Christian', it could be argued that catholic church is actually promoting less of a Christian concept, and more of a 'church' concept. This argument could take different ideas, but it may not even be necessary

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Catholicism delineates itself, from basically, most of the rest of Christianity. It purports that they , non-catholics/, literally aren't saved, etc.
Hence, even aside from differing traditions, or whatever, they have actually defined themselves, as a different religion. In this sense, if you say they ''are'' Christianity'', then that would mean that they are the only actual Christian group.
If you don't believe that ,/I don't, then they are a 'different religion', by default. Self definition.

As to the issue of the word 'Christian', it could be argued that catholic church is actually promoting less of a Christian concept, and more of a 'church' concept. This argument could take different ideas, but it may not even be necessary

Thanks for your response.

I had understood the catholic church had moved beyond judging non-catholic Christians so harshly.

If you are saying that catholics are not christians isn't that similar to what the catholics are allegedly doing?

I see a lot of wonderful people who are catholic, protestant, and other Christian groups being excellent examples of their faith.

I do share your concerns about departing from the original Christian teachings but that could apply to many "Christian" denominations.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Thanks for your response.

I had understood the catholic church had moved beyond judging non-catholic Christians so harshly.

If you are saying that catholics are not christians isn't that similar to what the catholics are allegedly doing?

I see a lot of wonderful people who are catholic, protestant, and other Christian groups being excellent examples of their faith.

I do share your concerns about departing from the original Christian teachings but that could apply to many "Christian" denominations.

No, the title 'Christian' to me is merely a broad one. The reason why I, /or any other non-Catholic, might state that Catholicism isn't Christianity, is because, if a non-Catholic agrees to the Catholic position , that they(catholic church), are ''Christian'', then that means, that that non-Catholic, isn't saved, isn't part of a correct church etc.
Hence, you can't ''agree'' with the catholic position, without refuting your own church, so forth.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
No, the title 'Christian to me is merely a broad one. The reason why I, /or any other non-Catholic, might state that Catholicism isn't Christianity, is because, if a non-Catholic agrees to the Catholic position , that they(catholic church), are ''Christian'', then that means, that that non-Catholic, isn't saved, isn't part of a correct church etc.
Hence, you can't ''agree'' with the catholic position, without refuting your own church, so forth.

You probably familiar with the parable of the weeds. I include it for anyone interested in this conversation.

Jesus told them another parable: “The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field. But while everyone was sleeping, his enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat, and went away. When the wheat sprouted and formed heads, then the weeds also appeared. “The owner’s servants came to him and said, ‘Sir, didn’t you sow good seed in your field? Where then did the weeds come from?’ “‘An enemy did this,’ he replied. “The servants asked him, ‘Do you want us to go and pull them up?’ “‘No,’ he answered, ‘because while you are pulling the weeds, you may uproot the wheat with them. Let both grow together until the harvest. At that time I will tell the harvesters: First collect the weeds and tie them in bundles to be burned; then gather the wheat and bring it into my barn.

One understanding of this may be the man made dogmas and doctrines that any Faith's Founder never intended. In time these man made teachings take on an authority similar if not surpassing the Founder.

Last edited:

pearl

Isn't catholicism a branch of Christianity rather than a seperate religion?

If this were true it is ironic that the requirement to membership in the Catholic Church is that one must be a Christian!

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
If this were true it is ironic that the requirement to membership in the Catholic Church is that one must be a Christian!

Yes, it's a contradiction. Catholicism both uses the word Christianity, while claiming 'christians' must be catholics, to be saved, etc.

This means that a non-Catholic would not support that catholic doctrine , because it would refute there own church, so forth

pearl

Yes, it's a contradiction. Catholicism both uses the word Christianity, while claiming 'christians' must be catholics, to be saved, etc.

This means that a non-Catholic would not support that catholic doctrine , because it would refute there own church, so forth

I'm afraid you are quite out of touch with the teachings of the Catholic Church which fully recognizes the elements of salvation found in denominations. Just as the Church accepts the salvation of the Jews as they remain in covenant with God.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn

Listening to people who know little about the RCC criticize it would be more amusing if I didn't have a personal connection to it. You don't know squat about it, you and people like you try to fit it into a box. A box based on your own sensibilities, having little to do with actual Catholics.
Tom

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Listening to people who know little about the RCC criticize it would be more amusing if I didn't have a personal connection to it. You don't know squat about it, you and people like you try to fit it into a box. A box based on your own sensibilities, having little to do with actual Catholics.
Tom
Who cares? Your criticism means nothing