• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is being gay a sin according to your religion?

arthra

Baha'i
In my opinion Baha'is acknowledge people can have homosexual proclivities.. . The Guardian of the Baha'i Faith Shoghi Effendi in 1954 made this statement:

Amongst the many other evils afflicting society in this spiritual low water mark in history, is the question of immorality, and overemphasis of sex. Homosexuality, according to the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, is spiritually condemned. This does not mean that people so afflicted must not be helped and advised and sympathized with. It does mean that we do not believe it is a permissible way of life; which, alas, is all too often the accepted attitude nowadays.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
In my opinion Baha'is acknowledge people can have homosexual proclivities.. . The Guardian of the Baha'i Faith Shoghi Effendi in 1954 made this statement:

Amongst the many other evils afflicting society in this spiritual low water mark in history, is the question of immorality, and overemphasis of sex. Homosexuality, according to the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, is spiritually condemned. This does not mean that people so afflicted must not be helped and advised and sympathized with. It does mean that we do not believe it is a permissible way of life; which, alas, is all too often the accepted attitude nowadays.

So said - because they are another offshoot of the religions of Abraham.

Religious crap concerning homosexuality should be given the boot, and real science recognized!!!

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Truthfully, nothing in the bible is said about "being gay". The only thing brought up is sex: A whole list of who people should and should not have sexual relations to: Things such as mothers, fathers, stepmothers, stepfathers, siblings, and so on and so forth.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Homosexuality is not a choice. Having sex, however, is a choice, unless a person is raped or assaulted or molested (child sex).

Ok. So we have Christian X (straight) and Christian Y (gay). None of them chose their sexual orientation. And we can assume that God gives the same opportunity to everybody to be sinful or not.

But, ceteris paribus, Christian Y is compelled to remain celibate, go against her sexual orientation and personal identity or committ sin.

Why is Christian Y bound to suffer this disadvantage for something outside her control, if homosexuality is not a choice?

Ciao

- viole

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Ok. So we have Christian X (straight) and Christian Y (gay). None of them chose their sexual orientation. And we can assume that God gives the same opportunity to everybody to be righteous or not.

But, ceteris paribus, Christian Y is compelled to remain celibate, go against her sexual orientation and personal identity or committ sin.

Why is Christian Y bound to suffer this disadvantage for something outside her control, if homosexuality is not a choice?

Ciao

- viole
I could have sworn I said that being gay is not a choice. Read my posts a little more carefully, please. Sex, the action, is what I said is NOT a choice. I didn't mention sin.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Truthfully, nothing in the bible is said about "being gay". The only thing brought up is sex: A whole list of who people should and should not have sexual relations to: Things such as mothers, fathers, stepmothers, stepfathers, siblings, and so on and so forth.

So, incest cannot be performed by righteous people in the Bible.

Correct?

Ciao

- viole

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I could have sworn I said that being gay is not a choice. Read my posts a little more carefully, please. Sex, the action, is what I said is NOT a choice. I didn't mention sin.

Yes. That is what I wrote. Isn't it?

Ciao

- viole

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
So, incest cannot be performed by righteous people in the Bible.

Correct?

Ciao

- viole
That is what the Bibles states. You will find that righteous men and women in the Bible actually gave into sin. David sinned greatly, yet was forgiven. He repented, in action and in his heart and was forgiven. None of us is without sin. That is what my faith teaches. It also teaches us not to condemn others. It states: He who shows mercy will be shown mercy and those who condemn others will also be condemned.
It's taken me 31 years to learn all of these things, and I certainly don't expect someone who doesn't even follow my faith to completely understand and I don't even completely understand.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
That is what the Bibles states. You will find that righteous men and women in the Bible actually gave into sin. David sinned greatly, yet was forgiven. He repented, in action and in his heart and was forgiven. None of us is without sin. That is what my faith teaches. It also teaches us not to condemn others. It states: He who shows mercy will be shown mercy and those who condemn others will also be condemned.
It's taken me 31 years to learn all of these things, and I certainly don't expect someone who doesn't even follow my faith to completely understand and I don't even completely understand.

What other chance did Adam and Eve kids have? And Noah family?

Ciao

- viole

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Ok. So we have Christian X (straight) and Christian Y (gay). None of them chose their sexual orientation. And we can assume that God gives the same opportunity to everybody to be sinful or not.

Ciao

- viole
But sex is a choice. Any sin is forgiveable, if Christian Y was indeed committing a sin, and he repented, he would be forgiven. Whether it's a sin or not is up to God and the Bible, it isn't up to me or anyone else. Homosexuality is not a choice, it is not a sin, some people that the sexual act is a sin, however. Does that makes sense. I stay away from speaking about sexual sins.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
What other chance did Adam and Eve kids have? And Noah family?

Ciao

- viole
That was before The Law. We don't know much about the flood story, it could a parable, it could be literal, or it could be partially literal, partially symbolic. If it were literal, remember that Noah's sons were already married when the flood came. Some people don't consider cousins to be incest. ;)

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
That was before The Law. We don't know much about the flood story, it could a parable, it could be literal, or it could be partially literal, partially symbolic. If it were literal, remember that Noah's sons were already married when the flood came. Some people don't consider cousins to be incest. ;)

Does objective morality depend on the publishing of a Law?

And by the way, is the Law still valid today?

Ciao

- viole

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Does objective morality depend on the publishing of a Law?

And by the way, is the Law still valid today?

Ciao

- viole
There are differing opinions in regards to that. There are those who say that Christians are still bound by the Law and others who say that we are not.
About the morality: You'd have to do a major study on that one. There are so many opinions on that.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
But sex is a choice. Any sin is forgiveable, if Christian Y was indeed committing a sin, and he repented, he would be forgiven. Whether it's a sin or not is up to God and the Bible, it isn't up to me or anyone else. Homosexuality is not a choice, it is not a sin, some people that the sexual act is a sin, however. Does that makes sense. I stay away from speaking about sexual sins.

But that does no address my question.

if the gay Christian does not want to sin, then she needs to stay celibate, or have sex with members of the opposite sex, against her nature.

Why does she suffer such a disadvantage? Does God like to make the spiritual lives of some people, and not others, harder?

Ciao

- viole

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
There are differing opinions in regards to that. There are those who say that Christians are still bound by the Law and others who say that we are not.
About the morality: You'd have to do a major study on that one. There are so many opinions on that.

So much for objective morality ;)

Ciao

- viole

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN

This again, is kind of shirking the question.

Do Christians follow ALL of the Laws (that they are able to) - or do they only follow the ten commandments - which would make them hypocrites when it comes to things like homosexuality?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
This again, is kind of shirking the question.

Do Christians follow ALL of the Laws (that they are able to) - or do they only follow the ten commandments - which would make them hypocrites when it comes to things like homosexuality?

I keep trying to tell you: It depends. Some do and some don't. I can't give you any other answer than that because there isn't one. There are hypocrites in all walks of life, in a all various faiths, and in both genders. Why on Earth are you asking me for ,anyway, try asking someone else who actually condemns gays.

Yeshe Dondrub

Kagyupa OBT-Thubetan
The only one's who will know if it is a choice or not to be gay, are those who are gay and have the experience. All information provided in regards to it come from those with the experience.

Those who are not only speculate with no experience. They may be influenced incorrectly by factors in their lives, the way they are raised, or their religious choices. Yet they still lack the wisdom to speak clearly on the matter.

Our true consciousness, in a clear state, has no true preference. While male or female energies, and aspects are in both, our attachment is what leads to suffering. Nurturing in a way of equanimity helps avoid that. Such as the loss of a partner, breakup, or abuse. You can enjoy the experience without being dependent. Regardless if you are straight, gay, or bi.

Last edited: