• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Atheism based on superstition?

ArtieE

Theist is a person who believes in god(s).
A- theist is a person who believes the opposite. (Hence the A- in English)
Incorrect. A theist is a person who believes in the existence of one or more gods. An atheist is a person who is not a theist. A person who does not believe in the existence of gods. The prefix a- means literally "not, without". An atheist need not have any beliefs about gods. Not even the belief that gods don't exist.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Incorrect. A theist is a person who believes in the existence of one or more gods. An atheist is a person who is not a theist. A person who does not believe in the existence of gods. The prefix a- means literally "not, without". An atheist need not have any beliefs about gods. Not even the belief that gods don't exist.

When you believe in something the indirect message is that they exist in order to believe it.

And if you believe in the opposite, it means indirectly you that you dont believe because they dont exist.

Prefix A is opposite of the "root word" so without is the opposite of with just as believe there is no gods is the opposite that there is.

Where are you disagreeing? Symantics or meaning?

Cause youre saying the same thing.

ArtieE

When you believe in something the indirect message is that they exist in order to believe it.

And if you believe in the opposite, it means indirectly you that you dont believe because they dont exist.

Prefix A is opposite of the "root word" so without is the opposite of with just as believe there is no gods is the opposite that there is.

Where are you disagreeing? Symantics or meaning?

Cause youre saying the same thing.
A theist believes at least one god exists.
A weak atheist doesn't believe gods exist and doesn't believe gods don't exist.
A strong atheist believes gods don't exist.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
A theist believes at least one god exists.
A weak atheist doesn't believe gods exist and doesn't believe gods don't exist.
A strong atheist believes gods don't exist.

Where are we disagreeing?

I never mentioned weak or strong. Thats irrelevant to the root word meaning.

ArtieE

Where are we disagreeing?

I never mentioned weak or strong. Thats irrelevant to the root word meaning.
A theist is a person who believes in the existence of one or more gods. An atheist is a person who does not believe in the existence of gods. An atheist is a person who is not a theist. It is not necessary to believe that gods don't exist in order to be an atheist. In post number 3 you said and I quote: "A- theist is a person who believes the opposite. (Hence the A- in English)". It is not necessary to believe the opposite of what a theist believes to be an atheist.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
A theist is a person who believes in the existence of one or more gods. An atheist is a person who does not believe in the existence of gods. An atheist is a person who is not a theist. It is not necessary to believe that gods don't exist in order to be an atheist. In post number 3 you said and I quote: "A- theist is a person who believes the opposite. (Hence the A- in English)". It is not necessary to believe the opposite of what a theist believes to be an atheist.

The point is:

Jack believes gods exist. Jane believes the opposite (aka belief that god does not exist)

Jack is a theist. Jane is an a- theist.

In english we dont always be redundent

"Jane is one who believes the opposite that believes gods do not exist". Unless speaking in ASL where emphasis is crucial, in this case its not.

ArtieE

The point is:

Jack believes gods exist. Jane believes the opposite (aka belief that god does not exist)

Jack is a theist. Jane is an a- theist.

In english we dont always be redundent

"Jane is one who believes the opposite that believes gods do not exist". Unless speaking in ASL where emphasis is crucial, in this case its not.
Strong atheists are a subset of all atheists. When you are talking about believing that gods don't exist you are specifically talking about strong atheists who should not be confused with weak atheists.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Strong atheists are a subset of all atheists. When you are talking about believing that gods don't exist you are specifically talking about strong atheists who should not be confused with weak atheists.

I just said atheist. Weak or strong is irrelevant. Atheist means the same even if it doesnt have adjectives to describe the level of "theism" one is.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Well Atheism is never strong. It has weak and unreasonable basis, being reasonable and knowledgeable is not a requirement of Atheism.
No intention to hurt feeling of the Atheists, they may feel free strong or weak as much as they like.
I was just giving opinion about the basis of Atheism, not the Atheists, please.
Regards

Last edited:

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Well Atheism is never strong. It has weak and unreasonable basis, being reasonable and knowledgeable is not a requirement of Atheism.
No intention to hurt feeling of the Atheists, they may feel free strong or weak as much as they like.
I was just giving opinion about the basis of Atheism, not the Atheists, please.
Regards
You cannot hurt an atheist with that argument, it rolls of their back.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I don't mind if they keep it in their front, and improve their basis with strong and positive reasons as they demand of the believers. Please
Regards
Come on you know as well as I do, there is no proof of god, where is it ?, in your head, in some old book from the dark past ?.......where!!, show me NOW !!.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Come on you know as well as I do, there is no proof of god, where is it ?, in your head, in some old book from the dark past ?.......where!!, show me NOW !!.
Our discussion is on Atheism and its unreasonable basis without reference to any Religion, please
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Being reasonable and knowledgeable is not a "requirement of theism" either. There are plenty of unreasonable and ignorant theists.
That does not make the basis of Atheism reasonable, knowledgeable and truthful on its own. Truth must shine on its own. Please
Regards