• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Atheism based on superstition?

SkepticX

I can't tell for sure if we are agreeing or not. Maybe we are disagreeing on the meaning of the word "based" in the context?
To me, Nontheism is not based on not believing. Nontheism IS not believing.

Exactly (that's why I put based in quotes).

Not believing is based on recognizing that religion is fiction.

Oops ... went too far again. You were done. Now you're talking about some particular form of atheism/nontheism, not just atheism/nontheism, period. An atheist could not believe out of pure, unmitigated apathy or even (theoretically at least) ignorance of theism. An atheist could even be an atheist because he hates God (though that would be debatable and likely more about confusion--could be about hating the fictional character though). There's absolutely nothing about atheism itself that indicates the process by which it was derived, or if there even was a process involved. Granted most self-identified atheists I've encountered have based it more or less on what you're saying, but that doesn't mean the normal process (or just a common one) is intrinsic to the result.

Atheism is not an ideology, it's the absence of a belief or the belief of an absence regarding gods. It's the not collecting stamps of hobbies (or the hair color of baldness--chalk one up for Jedster!). As soon as you go beyond the simple absence shtick you're onto something that's not just atheism. It may be very tightly connected, but that's not the same as the thing itself. Life is very tightly connected with breathing, but breathing and life are still two different things. Color is very tightly connected with perception, but color and perception are still two different things ... etc.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Yes, they look to science for answers to questions that theists look to religion for answers.
btw I never said atheists were reasonable.
For ethical, moral and spiritual matters the religious people have to refer to the Revelation, this does not check them referring to science in the matters pertaining material and physical realms, and it is a reasonable approach.
The Atheism do not refer to science necessarily as it is not essential in Atheism. Is it an essential part of Atheism ideology? Please
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Atheism is about not believing there are any gods or believing that there are none. Full stop.

An attitude toward science may be a concomitant variable but that doesn't make it part of the same thing any more than hospitalization causing of death or roads causing travel. Hospitals are what they are, and death nor disease are a hospital. Travel is what it is, and roads are not travel. Many atheists may be informed by science, but atheism is not in any way interdependent on science. Science is not part of atheism. They may be frequently combined, but that doesn't make either somehow part of the other. So saying atheists look to science for answers may describe most atheists, but even if it described all atheists it wouldn't be part of what atheism actually is. It would be perhaps part of the process or the social structure (if there were such a thing as an atheist social structure), but to say that atheists are informed by science would be the same error as saying theists are informed by the Bible, or by the Koran, etc.
"An attitude toward science may be a concomitant variable but that doesn't make it part of the same thing"
"Science is not part of atheism"
"So saying atheists look to science for answers may describe most atheists, but even if it described all atheists it wouldn't be part of what atheism actually is"

I agree with your above points.
Regards

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
Atheism has neither basis in Revelation nor in science.
Right? Please
Regards

I'd say a superstition is an unquestioned belief in something/ aka blind faith

Atheism, by definition, goes out of its way to avoid questioning its own beliefs, this is the antithesis of science. So yes.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Atheism is a topic of philosophy because it deals with mental relations, namely belief. It also touches on existential being, knowledge, and reality, which also lie in the area of philosophy.
Yes, but so does Christianity, Hinduism, etc. The original statement appeared to indicate that atheism alone was a subject for philosophy classes.

Altfish

Veteran Member
For ethical, moral and spiritual matters the religious people have to refer to the Revelation, this does not check them referring to science in the matters pertaining material and physical realms, and it is a reasonable approach.
The Atheism do not refer to science necessarily as it is not essential in Atheism. Is it an essential part of Atheism ideology? Please
Regards
Science is how humans progress. This computer, your mobile phone, the plane you go on holiday in, the car/train that takes you to work/church - all products of science.
Atheism is not an ideology - it is just the non belief in gods. - end of.
Humanism may be an ideology because it does include ethical stances as well.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I'd say a superstition is an unquestioned belief in something/ aka blind faith

Atheism, by definition, goes out of its way to avoid questioning its own beliefs, this is the antithesis of science. So yes.
And Atheism is just the same.
Thanks for confirming it.
Please
Regards