• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is atheism a belief?

Is atheism a belief?

• Total voters

A Vestigial Mote

Have you noticed that half of the responses are trying to express my personality
Who asked you to diagnose my condition? Haha
I forced you to diagnose my condition in all responses

What is your reference through which I ruled that I am wrong in my religion or belief
on what basis ?

Example
If I am on the street, the law of reference is with the traffic police

Where did you get the terms of reference through which laws enact my mistakes?

Do not tell me humanity, your words are inhuman and what is humanity?
Light up my way until you find out what went wrong with you
Is there a specific book, constitution or law?

Will you say humanity that everyone agreed?
Suppose the people are bad and they are criminals and they agree that killing is a natural tool
Does killing mean something human?

So how do you judge that a religion or anything is a mistake by a lost standard

Do not say collective agreement, this is a fallacy

Will you tell me the mind?

Anything your mind accepts will be true and anything that your mind does not accept means wrong
Do you want to say that your mind is the center of the universe? Or is it your opinion?

A man entered with a pistol and said, "I am mentally thought and found that killing people is good. Are you going to say that your mind is right because he ruled his mind even if he reached a negative and criminal

See how human thinking reaches the wrong conclusion

Mind and humanity? What is her officer?
There was an atheist who believed that the disabled should be executed unproductive in society so as not to take and consume food and leave the strong and he believes that he speaks from a human perspective (Thomas Malthus) such as birth control and get rid of unproductive human beings and speaks from a humanistic mental philosophical ??

Select me now? You are making mistakes on what basis I am wrong

What are you based on?
If you say the mind you must respect the mindset of the criminal because he is a murderer

Is your reference philosophy ?
In philosophy many approaches
Did you know that Hitler relied in his criminality on the philosophy of the famous philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche this nihilist philosopher

I'll put you in impasse
On what i got like on mental or humane
Only feelings may be right and may be wrong

Stop diagnosing my personality, and just answer what your reference is to build upon

Thank you, for reading all
I get where you are coming from, I do. That thought and opinion are relative. I argue this myself all the time. My go-to example is the common house-fly. We humans think that human life is precious, however the house-fly would much rather encounter a dead human body than a live one. The fly's perspective is that he/she doesn't care, at all, about human life. The fly cares whether or not something is a prospective meal, and a warm, moist, nutritious place to lay eggs. Beyond this, it does not concern itself of the current or former welfare of the corpse lying before it.

But NONE of what you said gets at the true base that I argue we have ALL adopted, and that cannot rationally be denied. My stance is simply to call for more of the same, and deeper adherence to it. And that position is "adhere to the evidence" And by evidence, I am not talking about your intuition, your feelings, or your hopes and dreams - those are not the kinds of "evidence" to which I am referring. And this is exactly where I can definitively say that YOU have gone off the rails. All this talk between us, and NOT ONCE have you provided any useful evidence. Not once. And the huge error in judgment here is that YOU THINK YOU HAVE. That's the sad state of affairs we are looking at here. Somehow your mind has become completely warped as to what stands for evidence.

And the reason I state that we are all adherents to the "religion of evidence" is that we use it in proper ways CONSTANTLY, every day of our lives. Take learning to walk for example. When learning to walk, balance ends up being pretty key to properly mastering maintenance of the human gait. Having only two proper legs, humans must walk upright, and our walk ends up being (as some others have put it) more of a constant, graceful falling. Your mind helps you in this endeavor automatically, but basically what is going on is that the feedback of your senses is the "evidence" that your mind uses to determine what works and what doesn't. If you over-compensate for gravity pulling you in one direction or another, your mind takes note. Too much force from one foot, not enough from the other... try it a bit differently next time. And so, based on the evidence of your progressively more successful, intended stride, you learn to walk on two legs as well as you are able, or well enough that your walk is acceptable to you. Every minute movement you make with ANY amount of confidence can only be made at all deftly because you have EVIDENCE that what you are doing, the acts you are taking, the thoughts you are having, etc. works in the way you expect it to. You can move your arm to touch your nose, with your eyes closed, because you have previous evidence of the placement of your nose, you have prior evidence that your arms will obey your commands/thoughts and you have evidence that the precise length of your arms will line up to place your finger upon your nose at a very exacting set of coordinates in relative space. ALL OF THAT activity is BASED ON EVIDENCE. And that is what I propose that we adhere to. We strive to stick to the evidence, and strive to investigate and find the evidence when we have none for a proposition. And if, time after time after time we cannot find proper, compelling evidence for our proposition, then we admit that the proposition is not worth keeping in a "top of mind" space. We admit that we should not be trying to talk others into believing our proposition. We reserve our proposition for the only space in which it is even remotely warranted: OPINION.

ArtieE

Consider the overwhelming evidence that all gods are the creations of man's imaginings.
Middle Easterners believe in Middle Eastern gods.
Asians believe in Asian gods.
Africans believe in African gods (well, they did until whitey came along and converted them to believe in Jesus)
Native Americans believed in Native American gods (well, they did until whitey came along wiped them out with his diseases).

ETA: You do not have the same qualms about the Easter Bunny, do you? What's the difference?
I don't believe gods exist, but considering how many universes or dimensions there could be to say I believe that no gods could possibly exist anywhere without some pretty good evidence that they couldn't would be foolish.

ArtieE

I am the exception.
What exception? You are probably what is called a gnostic atheist. Atheist because you have no belief in gods, gnostic because you appear to claim that you know there are no gods. If you don't claim to know there are no gods but only believe so, you would be a strong atheist.

Last edited:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I am the exception.

I claim there is no god. I claim there are no gods. I claim that all "gods" are the creations of man's imaginings. I also claim the Easter Bunny is the creation of man's imaginings. I also claim that Santa Clause is the creation of man's imaginings. I also claim that Mickey Mouse is the creation of man's imaginings. I also claim Psychic Snowflakes are the creation of man's (mine) imaginings.

I see no difference between any of them.

You are a subset of atheism, called a "strong atheist".

And what you have in common with "weak atheists", is that the both of you answer "no" to the question "do you believe gods exist?", which is something that is universally the case for any and all atheists.
This is why I checked "maybe" in the poll.
For most atheists, atheism is not a belief. It is the lack thereof.
But there are people like ecco. Unusual, but they certainly exist.
Tom

ArtieE

Oh come on!
Bite the bullet!
You can do it......... just tell us that where there is no certainty then there is only belief left. And you are not certain, I believe.... :D
Hmmm... where there is no certainty there could be either belief or no belief...

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
This is why I checked "maybe" in the poll.
For most atheists, atheism is not a belief. It is the lack thereof.
But there are people like ecco. Unusual, but they certainly exist.
Tom
But @ecco 's rejection of gods isn't what makes him an atheist.

I use the word "civilian" as an analogy: a civilian is simply someone who isn't a member of the military. We don't call a civilian who's actively opposed to being in the military a "strong civilian." Instead, we recognize that being opposed to military service is something separate from merely not being in the military.

Skwim

Veteran Member

My question: is denial a form of belief? Does the denial of X necessarily make that denial a belief?

Skwim

Veteran Member
If the denial has been made without any positive argument/reason and with conviction.

Regards
Let me get you straight here.

If all I do is say "I deny X is true." and without any positive argument/reason and conviction it isn't a belief. But I can easily see a person denying X with conviction but lacking good reason. So can't accept conviction as relevant. I'm also eliminating positive argument because I believe it's implied in reason. If you have a reason for something it stands to reason you could argue your case for it, which would be positive.

So what I see as the necessary requirement for the denial of X to be a belief is that there be reason behind it.

Reason for denial = belief
No reason for denial = no belief

Hmmm . . . sounds good to me. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Well, their label is Atheism, but they can tend to be so irritated by the word 'Belief' that they dare not use it.

They are trying to make one word, have 'different meanings', even when used without specification. In other words, there are going to be contradictions in "inherent meaning", for that one word.

Even if always used with specification, if there are 'different meanings', then there is a 'meaningless word'.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Specification as to one meaning, which is what specification means, as opposed to what they are trying to do, which is 'specifications deriving different meanings'.[for the word atheism