• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is anyone else here practicing a religion without beliefs?

Jim

Nets of Wonder
NOTE: This thread is in the Seekers Circle, forum, which has special rules.
... desire to be without a belief system ...
It’s true that I’m trying not to have a belief system.
... you're trying to place yourself above the majority by being more objective, more of a "free-thinker" ...
No, that isn’t what I’m trying to do.
... you try to make it appear that you've come up with all of your beliefs by yourself ...
No, I’m not trying to do that.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I might have found what I was looking for. I’ll need to do some observation, to be sure.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Maybe a better way to say what I was looking for is people who are practicing members of a religious community that they think is right for them, who don’t have any beliefs that they want to discuss with other people.

Last edited:

Jim

Nets of Wonder
No, that isn’t it either. I can’t find any simple way of explaining it. People who are practicing members of a religious community that they think is right for them, who don’t have any beliefs, or any opposition to the beliefs of others, that they want to discuss

izzy88

Okay, why?

If you'd provide more information on the actual reasoning behind what you're asking, why you're wondering about this, it would help a great deal in trying to give you clearer and more relevant answers.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I understand and agree.

I use prayerful meditation a great deal, and this involves less words and more "listening", if you know what I mean. The impact on me from that has been phenomenal in terms of giving me senses of direction that has opened so many "doors" for me over the last 40 years.
I’m thinking now that when I started this thread, I was looking for people who are practicing members of a religious community that they think is right for them, who don’t have any beliefs, or any opposition to the beliefs of others, that they want to discuss. From your profile and your posts, it looks to me like you might fit that description. Anyway, close enough to satisfy my curiosity.

Last edited:

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I understand and agree.

I use prayerful meditation a great deal, and this involves less words and more "listening", if you know what I mean. The impact on me from that has been phenomenal in terms of giving me senses of direction that has opened so many "doors" for me over the last 40 years.
I looked at your profile again and I see that you’re an anthropologist. That fits. I’ve been thinking that I’d like to know how anthropologists view religious communities, and their stories and scriptures.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Now I’ve found something even better than what I was looking for when I started this thread.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I’m thinking now that when I started this thread, I was looking for people who are practicing members of a religious community that they think is right for them, who don’t have any beliefs, or any opposition to the beliefs of others, that they want to discuss. From your profile and your posts, it looks to me like you might fit that description. Anyway, close enough to satisfy my curiosity.
Ya, that's pretty much where I'm coming from. Generally speaking, I feel comfortable in other houses of worship, including those in other religions. Where I don't feel comfortable are in those that preach the "my way or the highway" and the "health & wealth" messages.

Reactions: Jim

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I looked at your profile again and I see that you’re an anthropologist. That fits. I’ve been thinking that I’d like to know how anthropologists view religious communities, and their stories and scriptures.
I think with most of us, it's the adage that if you have one clock you know exactly what time it is, but if you have many clocks then you will not know exactly what time it is. :emojconfused:

dfnj

I didn’t know, when I came to these forums, how much the discussions would be about beliefs. I wasn’t thinking of religion as being about beliefs, because mine is not about beliefs at all. I’m wondering now if I’m the only one in these forums practicing a religion without beliefs. If there are others besides me practicing a religion without beliefs, that is with no beliefs at all about anything, I would like to know.

The only group I know of having no-mind is the people who practice non-duality:

In an interesting contradiction to the whole way of being she wrote a fascinating book on the subject: A bible for people practicing the religion of "no-mind".

https://www.amazon.com/Nothing-Grasp-Joan-Tollifson-ebook/dp/B01AL2ZN3U/ref=sr_1_1