• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is anyone else here practicing a religion without beliefs?

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I didn’t know, when I came to these forums, how much the discussions would be about beliefs. I wasn’t thinking of religion as being about beliefs, because mine is not about beliefs at all. I’m wondering now if I’m the only one in these forums practicing a religion without beliefs. If there are others besides me practicing a religion without beliefs, that is with no beliefs at all about anything, I would like to know.

Last edited:

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I'm a transtheist. I don't find god beliefs or non-beliefs very useful. I'm also a practicing Buddhist.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I'm a transtheist. I don't find god beliefs or non-beliefs very useful. I'm also a practicing Buddhist.
Thank you. I’ve never heard of “transtheist” before. I’d be interested if you’d like to tell me more about it.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Thank you. I’ve never heard of “transtheist” before. I’d be interested if you’d like to tell me more about it.
Gods may or may not exist, but whether they do exist or not is not relevant to the religious practice.

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
I practised Buddhism for a while. Yes, they do have their Buddhas and gurus, but in the end, you're reponsible for yourself. Ideally, you're to dissolve the Buddhas and gurus in the "clear light" of the mind, realizing they are illusions. You're also to give up the notion of the "I".

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I didn’t know, when I came to these forums, how much the discussions would be about beliefs. I wasn’t thinking of religion as being about beliefs
I am interested in "experiencing" certain things/ Not so much in "believing things" AND also not so much in "not believing things"

When ruminating about "Who Am I?", "How the Universe came into existence?" Guessing, belief, mind starts

The Wise declared "Only in silence the voice of God (Truth) can be heard (known)"
The first time I read this, it was new to me. So, I had the option to try it out. So, I did

My Master told me "You only die if I want"
When He told me, I had the option to try this out too: So, I took poison. Nothing happened

I prefer experiencing more than (not) believing

Reactions: Jim

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I wasn’t thinking of religions as belief systems at all when I came to these forums. I was thinking of them as communities and their practices.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
How is it possible to do anything without belief?
What I mean by “beliefs” in this context is people thinking that thet can’t be wrong about what their scriptures are saying having views and ways of thinking that they think can not possibly be wrong..

Last edited:

BSM1

What? Me worry?
What I mean by “beliefs” in this context is people thinking that thet can’t be wrong about what their scriptures are saying having views and ways of thinking that they think can not possibly be wrong..

That's very different, and I understand where you're coming from. I have met many folks who would rather be right than know the truth.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I didn’t know, when I came to these forums, how much the discussions would be about beliefs. I wasn’t thinking of religion as being about beliefs, because mine is not about beliefs at all. I’m wondering now if I’m the only one in these forums practicing a religion without beliefs. If there are others besides me practicing a religion without beliefs, that is with no beliefs at all about anything, I would like to know.

I have little use for beliefs in the traditional religious sense. Any beliefs I do have are rooted in probabilities based on experiential observation and experimentation, and development of hypotheses based on them.

MNoBody

to practice a religion is something done because of a belief, or a whole set of them.
so, it made me look twice at the OP, since, 'how can this guy [or anybody] practice a religion with no beliefs'
...that is just not even an idea that could stand any serious scrutiny or poking about...
so i read the other posts to see what ever could be meant by this..
and find that it isn't a "belief" in question, but rather the idea that the one doing it is right and all is correct about that particular path....
so this is then a question about people who practice a religious path but have doubts as to it being worthwhile and are just going through the motions without any solid convictions about it??

is this on point so far?

Jim

Nets of Wonder
to practice a religion is something done because of a belief, or a whole set of them.
so, it made me look twice at the OP, since, 'how can this guy [or anybody] practice a religion with no beliefs'
...that is just not even an idea that could stand any serious scrutiny or poking about...
and find that it isn't a "belief" in question, but rather the idea that the one doing it is right and all is correct about that particular path....
so this is then a question about people who practice a religious path but have doubts as to it being worthwhile and are just going through the motions without any solid convictions about it??

is this on point so far?
No, but thanks for trying.

Jim

Nets of Wonder

is this on point so far?
A person who is doing what I’m thinking would be practicing something that they call “religion” without anything attached to it that they call “beliefs” i know that it’s possible because that’s what I’m doing.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
A person who is doing what I’m thinking would be practicing something that they call “religion” without anything attached to it that they call “beliefs” i know that it’s possible because that’s what I’m doing.

At least you believe you are. ;)

Jim

Nets of Wonder
A person who is doing what I’m thinking would be practicing something that they call “religion” without any views or ways of thinking attached to it that they think can not be wrong.