• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is "American Christian" an Oxymoron?

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Nevertheless, that isn't a misconception nontheists really have. We are nearly always responding to a claim made by a Christian. Even the indirect sort of claim, like starting a personal claim with "God says. .."
Tom
Really? Is that all? Gee, I know I've bumped into some atheists that know the Bible better than some Christians. I mean, just look at the claim that the Bible is inconsistent made above....don't have to look too far.

kjw47

I could search for the six, but I won't. You have said that you know 100% that the JWs are right because they alone are being taught by Jesus. That isn't true.

Fact--God NEVER had more than a single religion--Jesus is his image---( 1Cor 1:10) no division= one religion. Unified in love, peace and thought.( as best as possible for imperfect mortals)-- one truth exists.

kjw47

No He didn't.
And to make matters worse, Scriptures are extremely open to interpretation. You may be very attached to your interpretation of what some ancient bishops decided to include in the Canon, but it's not from Jesus.
Sorry to disappoint.
Tom

I know 100% for sure those teachings are real. Yes many bad interpretations. God never had more than a single religion on earth. The Israelites had it--Others joined. Jesus is his image--one religion, one truth-1Corinthians 1:10)-- These serve the God of Israel-a single being God named YHWH(Jehovah) and accept Jesus as the one sent forth by God, the Messiah. Gods way. Not our way.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Fact--God NEVER had more than a single religion--Jesus is his image---( 1Cor 1:10) no division= one religion. Unified in love, peace and thought.( as best as possible for imperfect mortals)-- one truth exists.
I believe you, but why is yours the one?

kjw47

How so? Which interpretation?
Tom

I have studied a few of the major trinity based religions, Mormons, Judaism, etc, and the teachings of Jesus, and the only teachers I could find that listen to Jesus are the Jehovah witness teachers. But it is as Jesus taught it would be. If one followed him they would be hated.

kjw47

I have studied a few of the major trinity based religions, Mormons, Judaism, etc, and the teachings of Jesus, and the only teachers I could find that listen to Jesus are the Jehovah witness teachers. But it is as Jesus taught it would be. If one followed him they would be hated.
The ones who came back here in these last days and this became truth-Daniel 12:4--truth becomes abundant---It was done by making corrections to 1750 years of errors as well as their own errors.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
They listen to Jesus and obey him.
I am sure that I have already proved that it is the written word that they listen to and obey. I have never once heard a Jehovah's Witness claim that he or she had heard from him.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
They listen to Jesus and obey him.
Nobody can listen to Jesus. He didn't even write anything down. You're listening to and interpreting the words of people many years later. People who likely didn't even meet Jesus, but wrote down things that they were told by someone else.
Tom

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
We don't hate you. :)

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
I know 100% for sure those teachings are real. Yes many bad interpretations. God never had more than a single religion on earth. The Israelites had it--Others joined. Jesus is his image--one religion, one truth-1Corinthians 1:10)-- These serve the God of Israel-a single being God named YHWH(Jehovah) and accept Jesus as the one sent forth by God, the Messiah. Gods way. Not our way.
This is one of the reasons why so many people have left religion altogether. You and I differ, and it's not simply because we interpret things differently or because I'm catholic and your JW. There is an order of rationale and logic that is initially applied in metaphysics and philosophy in general that is completely absent in the vast of American Religions. It's a shame, and given that you probably see philosophy as a boogie man, you probably have no idea what I'm talking about. I don't say this pompously either.....it's just sad and I felt atheist for a mili-second there.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Mormons are hated, too. Is this a contest?

A Vestigial Mote

What I have come to understand/believe is that every Christian believer holds their own set of unique beliefs, understandings and concept of God. When dealing with vast amounts of data like The Bible, very much of which is up for interpretation, and not much of it having actual consequences nor 100% applicability in real life - this was basically inevitable.

And who is it who can deny these "heretics" their unique beliefs, even if they differ from some agreed-upon "core" doctrine of Christianity? NO ONE. In fact, this is the trap that spiritually-based faith (that is, faith based on extremely loose evidence criteria) puts itself in by virtue of its very nature. You want to continue practicing your own "religion" and so you can't go around stepping on the toes of every other religion now can you? So you simply have to tolerate all the other beliefs... and even RESPECT them. Lest your own beliefs and claims become open-season for disrespect, scrutiny and judgment.

You want to believe/practice your chosen brand of fluff-n-stuff? Then you've got to let everyone else believe/practice theirs.

sealchan

i just found this article, about a survey that was given to Americans who identified as Christian. It is sort of funny.

"The responses....were....headache-inducing."

http://thefederalist.com/2016/10/10/survey-finds-american-christians-actually-heretics/

Any comments?

I have a mixed reaction...I've know for a long time that most people who identify with anything have a fairly superficial relationship with that identification. Identity is cheap.

From my perspective many who profess Christianity do so without any voluntary study of the Bible. But many of those who do voluntarily study the Bible do so from a perspective that puts them at odds with science because they read it as literal history rather than spiritual literature. That creates a niche attitude that tends to anti-science and even xenophobic attitudes which does more harm than good IMO.

This attitude alienates the mature modern person who sees what a "pagan" sees, the practical reality and that people are never as bad as the Bible makes them out to be and also never as good as the Bible wants us to be. Many people, who have successfully adapted to life in a scientific, technological and multi-cultural world, don't see any reason to fear Satan or have a need to look forward to a Second Coming. Things just aren't anywhere near that bad for most.

The Bible was written for an audience that has time and time again been brutalized by earthly powers greater than themselves. Its teachings tell a story of an abusive reality, one that does not apply to Americans today. It is hard to take seriously such a "dramatic" sense of reality when we live in an environment where we are more or less free and safe.

If people today want drama that puts them in touch with the mystery and the power of the Universe, and gives them some amount of food for thought as to how to behave and how to find meaning in their lives after sitting quietly in a shared space for over an hour...they go to see a movie, not a sermon. Movies, at least, address the needs and concerns of their audience. The Bible's audience is long dead and gone. The Bible was petrified almost 2000 years ago and needs a serious makeover.

As a student of the Bible I do take it seriously and I enjoy the effort it takes to understand the original audience and the artistry that went into the Bible. The Bible contains a great deal of practical wisdom and spiritual truth and it helps us to understand how to relate to God and benefit from that relationship. But the learning curve from the modern reality to that beneficial experience is far too steep for many.

I'm hoping this weekend that my grandson and I will watch Star Wars: A New Hope together. That movie introduced me to one of my first spiritual experiences and I am hoping it will do the same for him.

kjw47

Nobody can listen to Jesus. He didn't even write anything down. You're listening to and interpreting the words of people many years later. People who likely didn't even meet Jesus, but wrote down things that they were told by someone else.
Tom

God inspired the bible through holy spirit through Jesus real teachers.