• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is America a Police state?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
That's no good, those pigs should be thrown out of the force, but, there are many more pigs that are doing the right thing, so lets not forget that, or we will become pigheaded.
I am aware that there are good cops. But I'm also aware that America has a very serious problem with police corruption and abuse.
I've seen some cops help motorists in the pouring rain.
I've seen many pigs searching just to search.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I am aware that there are good cops. But I'm also aware that America has a very serious problem with police corruption and abuse.
I've seen some cops help motorists in the pouring rain.
I've seen many pigs searching just to search.
Yea, and keep voicing your opinion and lets hope one day they will do something about it, here in Australia back a fair view years ago they investigated the Northern Australia area and sorted them all out, many were sacked and ever since they seem to be behaving themselves lol.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Meanwhile, police departments continue to acquire surplus military equipment:
NEW ENFORCEMENT WEAPON IN THE HAMPTONS
There is a small town here, not even 3,000 people, and the sheriff thinks America is a battle zone, and they have mine-resistant ambush-protected vehicle.
Police officer safety or surplus zeal: Military equipment spurs debate

In a pole barn in Franklin, sharing space with a motorcycle and a boat, sat an imposing military vehicle designed for battlefields in Iraq or Afghanistan, not the streets of Johnson County....
"The United States of America has become a war zone," [Pulaski country sheriff, Michael Gayer] said.
This tiny town of Winimac:
images

has one of these:

M-fpvehicle-t607.JPG

Overkill isn't quite the right word, but it comes to mind.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Very Tue, But who controls the US Government? Politicians or Special Interests ?I am inclined to believe that their true pay checks do not come from the American people.
There are multiple influences, but we vote'm into office.
They misbehave, & we (well....not I) re-elect'm.
We have the power to give'm the boot, but we choose not to.

freethinker44

So they captured one of those escaped inmates in NY.
New York prison escape: Sgt. Jay Cook hailed as hero - CNN.com

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are they really saying they shot him in the back as he ran away? I mean I get it, he was a bad guy, but last I checked it's still illegal for police to use deadly force against someone for simply running away. I think what is most disturbing, and most indicative of a police state culture, is that people are calling this shooting brave and courageous.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So they captured one of those escaped inmates in NY.
New York prison escape: Sgt. Jay Cook hailed as hero - CNN.com

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are they really saying they shot him in the back as he ran away? I mean I get it, he was a bad guy, but last I checked it's still illegal for police to use deadly force against someone for simply running away. I think what is most disturbing, and most indicative of a police state culture, is that people are calling this shooting brave and courageous.
Perhaps the law is different for a dangerous convicted felon.
If shooting in the back is ever appropriate, such would be a case.
Just speculating here.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm glad I'm not the only one that found those shootings unsettling. If there is anything our police don't need, it's a reason to shoot people.
I have been wondering why they didn't use a taser, release a dog, or resort to some other method that is non-lethal but highly effective.

freethinker44

Cops not only think they're above the law, they also believe they are above their own cop logic. I mean, if corruption isn't institutional then they shouldn't mind hiring someone who would arrest them for it, right? Or as they say to us, "The way you're acting is suspicious if you have nothing to hide."

A Civil Service Commission official wrote that he was dismayed to learn that the city gave higher points to applicants who said they wouldn’t arrest a family member or an officer they knew, while docking points from who said they would.
Methuen police gave preference to those who wouldn’t arrest fellow officers - Metro - The Boston Globe

Underhill

lol... How could America not be a police state? By any rational definition, America is most definitely a police state. America 'has' police, and they utilize weapons, aggression, deception, and paranoia to achieve their goals. Most people fail to realize how hawk-ish American police are. For example, New Zealand officers generally don't even carry firearms.

I'm a bit late to the party, but the difference is that in a police state the government controls the police and dictates arrest for their own agenda and convenience. Some police may be out of control. But we haven't achieved police state status.

freethinker44

I'm a bit late to the party, but the difference is that in a police state the government controls the police and dictates arrest for their own agenda and convenience. Some police may be out of control. But we haven't achieved police state status.
You mean, like when they decide you owe the government money so they send police to arrest you, and ultimately kill you if you refuse to submit? Think about that for a moment, let it really sink in. Under the current system in the US, you can be killed without due process for not paying taxes.

Underhill

You mean, like when they decide you owe the government money so they send police to arrest you, and ultimately kill you if you refuse to submit? Think about that for a moment, let it really sink in. Under the current system in the US, you can be killed without due process for not paying taxes.

Sorry but I have yet to see that. By law, you can only be thrown in jail for cheating on your taxes. You cannot go to jail for nonpayment. They can garnish your wages. But they do not throw you in jail for non payment.

There are bad officers out there, but that is not the same thing as a police state.

freethinker44

Sorry but I have yet to see that. By law, you can only be thrown in jail for cheating on your taxes. You cannot go to jail for nonpayment. They can garnish your wages. But they do not throw you in jail for non payment.
Tax evasion. It's a felony with up to 5 years in prison. If you refuse to pay taxes to the government, and resist their attempts to collect it, they will escalate the force they use to overcome your resistance until you submit or die. When they say, "you are guilty of tax evasion", and they send the police to your house, the police aren't going to give up and go home because it's all over money owed to the government, they are going to arrest you, or kill you trying.
There are bad officers out there, but that is not the same thing as a police state.
I agree we aren't at the level of full blown police state... yet, but the beginnings of one are there. Bad officers don't make a police state, it's the systemic flaws and abuses that allow bad officers to thrive. It's not the 1% that's the problem, it's the 99% that allow the 1% to be a problem.

And really, police have the worst deal here. It's called a 'police state' so naturally the police take all the blame, but it's important to realize that it's not just police, this is a system wide issue encompassing all of the justice system, all levels of government, the media, and even common citizens with no government connections. All of those feed into the police state problems. It's not just police.