• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is according to Jews everything God's will?

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Yonatan not being a Savior to Israel supports the name Yeshuah means God saves because only God is described as a Savior in the Bible.
So you make up things I did not say, and continue arguing with yourself. Enjoy.

rosends

The name Yeshuah meaning salvation implies that Jesus is God because only God saves.
You say "only God saves."

You don't say "saves what" and yet the text says thaat Yonatan saved using the word (yeshuah) you say is reserved for God. If you would like, you can revise your initial claim and clarify what you are limiting to God. Remember, on that day in Samuel, Yonatan "made salvation in Israel."

Skywalker

You say "only God saves."

You don't say "saves what" and yet the text says thaat Yonatan saved using the word (yeshuah) you say is reserved for God. If you would like, you can revise your initial claim and clarify what you are limiting to God. Remember, on that day in Samuel, Yonatan "made salvation in Israel."

I meant only God is a Savior. the text says that Yonatan saved using the word yeshuah but it doesn't say that Yonatan is a Savior.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I meant only God is a Savior. the text says that Yonatan saved using the word yeshuah but it doesn't say that Yonatan is a Savior.
What you've done is capitalize the word savior. Yonatan was a savior. That's what the text says. The text uses the Hebrew word for salvation. If God is the only one who can save, why would the text use the same word for Yonatan as well?
When I said
1 Samuel 14:15 doesn't say that Jonathan was ultimately the one who delivered the people.
You said
It does, actually. Yonatan saved Israel that day.

Post 1158
Since we're reminding one another of posts, here's you at 1160:
That's different from saying that Yonatan was a Savior to Israel.​
and me at 1161:
Did I say that?​
and you at 1162:
Yonatan not being a Savior to Israel supports the name Yeshuah means God saves because only God is described as a Savior in the Bible.​

Skywalker

What you've done is capitalize the word savior. Yonatan was a savior. That's what the text says. The text uses the Hebrew word for salvation. If God is the only one who can save, why would the text use the same word for Yonatan as well?

Since we're reminding one another of posts, here's you at 1160:
That's different from saying that Yonatan was a Savior to Israel.​
and me at 1161:
Did I say that?​
and you at 1162:
Yonatan not being a Savior to Israel supports the name Yeshuah means God saves because only God is described as a Savior in the Bible.​

Yonatan did things that saved Israel but that doesn't mean that he was ultimately was the one who saved them. The text uses the Hebrew word for salvation in connection to Yonatan but that's different from saying that he was ultimately the one who saved Israel.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Yonatan did things that saved Israel but that doesn't mean that he was ultimately was the one who saved them. The text uses the Hebrew word for salvation in connection to Yonatan but that's different from saying that he was ultimately the one who saved Israel.
So what did Yonatan do?

Skywalker

If he didn't say what he means, his words can't be trusted.

He said to hate your parents to compel people to follow him. That's what he said in context.

This is reflected across multiple gospel stories.

The context of what Jesus was saying was a metaphor. What did Jesus mean when He instructed us to hate our father and mother (Luke 14:26)? | GotQuestions.org

Following the statement that we must “hate” our father and mother, Jesus relates a metaphor about a man who builds a house without first counting the cost (Luke 14:28–30). The man finds that he cannot follow through with what he set out to do. He leaves the house unfinished because he cannot pay what is required. Jesus’ illustration helps explain His difficult statement about hating our mother and father—namely, we must count the cost of being a disciple. There is a cost, and that is the point of the passage.

That is reflected by Jesus saying to take up your cross and follow him.

We must not forget that included in Jesus’ condition that a follower must “hate” his father and mother is the condition that he likewise hate “even his own life” (Luke 14:26, NAS). Jesus is not teaching an emotional hatred of one’s parents any more than He is teaching self-hatred. The emphasis is on self-denial and absolute surrender. Immediately following is Jesus’ instruction to “carry your own cross” (verse 27, NLT).

rosends

@Skywalker
"The text uses the Hebrew word for salvation in connection to Yonatan but that's different from saying that he was ultimately the one who saved Israel."

How is it different? Who decides that it is different? Why is it different?

If the text uses the same word to refer to God doing the same thing why do you insist that there is difference?

Skywalker

@Skywalker
"The text uses the Hebrew word for salvation in connection to Yonatan but that's different from saying that he was ultimately the one who saved Israel."

How is it different? Who decides that it is different? Why is it different?

If the text uses the same word to refer to God doing the same thing why do you insist that there is difference?

The text didn't call Yonatan Yeshuah. That would be calling him a Savior. Only the Messiah saves.