• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is a meaningless universe enough of a reason to adopt a religion?

fi11222

None of those things are true outside of your own opinion/mind. Try getting Webster's to adopt your definition of "masturbation" so that we can all start using it as you do. Go on now...

I, myself (and I am sure many others), would simply refuse to accept your "general" defining of the word "masturbation." I will assume you are talking about pleasuring yourself sexually, no matter how many different activities you attempt to make it the subject of.
This is how thinking advances. By generalizing concepts.

If you are pissed off because I came up with this idea and not you then it is too bad for you. Such stubborn refusal as you display is generally the telltale sign of envy, a not very admirable sentiment, don't you think?

A Vestigial Mote

This is how thinking advances. By generalizing concepts.

If you are pissed off because I came up with this idea and not you then it is too bad for you. Such stubborn refusal as you display is generally the telltale sign of envy, a not very admirable sentiment, don't you think?
You actually made me laugh with this. Nice one. No envy whatsoever, I hope you know I am being 100% sincere when I say that.

I merely noticed you trying to parade the idea around in multiple threads, using just about any excuse to bring it to bear, and it was sort of tell-tale as to the level of "clever" you thought it was - I feel you were sincerely trying to get other people's reactions to it to see how much merit it had. I just picture you sitting there wondering "It's just such a neat idea! Could this take me to the Pulitzer?!?!?"

And please, please, please have no fear that I am going to "steal" the idea, or want it for my own. Please. In fact, keep it as far away from me as you are able. Seriously.

fi11222

You actually made me laugh with this. Nice one. No envy whatsoever, I hope you know I am being 100% sincere when I say that.

I merely noticed you trying to parade the idea around in multiple threads, using just about any excuse to bring it to bear, and it was sort of tell-tale as to the level of "clever" you thought it was - I feel you were sincerely trying to get other people's reactions to it to see how much merit it had. I just picture you sitting there wondering "It's just such a neat idea! Could this take me to the Pulitzer?!?!?"

And please, please, please have no fear that I am going to "steal" the idea, or want it for my own. Please. In fact, keep it as far away from me as you are able. Seriously.
Thank you for confirming my suspicions.

David T

Premium Member
existence.

without that Creator behind all of this.....all of us are doomed to the grave

no chance of continuance?
not one in 7billion?
A larger than behind all this. It seems that term "creator" has taken on meaning that now is a dissacociating term! Morphology and symbiosis are very interesting to me particularly in language. Psychologically science "believed" until the 1780's that the earth was only thousands of years old. That's the identical time of the first great awakening in the United states that lead to American evangelicalism. In the 1880's was the scientific discovery of symbiosis in nature. I find that of particular intrest because 75 years before i was born, what was originally self evident is clearly stated in the new testament, was absolutely invisible in the landscape to christian religion and science in agregate. Even though symbiosis is the fundemental narrative of the new testament. Creator had taken on the quality of being separated from creation in the philosophical musings at the university levels theologically. Its self deluding and isn't new testament it's symbiotic to cultural developmemt and nothing more. I call it normal. Dumb certainly but non the less normal. The new testament was not written by normals but written for normals.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
A larger than behind all this. It seems that term "creator" has taken on meaning that now is a dissacociating term! Morphology and symbiosis are very interesting to me particularly in language. Psychologically science "believed" until the 1780's that the earth was only thousands of years old. That's the identical time of the first great awakening in the United states that lead to American evangelicalism. In the 1880's was the scientific discovery of symbiosis in nature. I find that of particular intrest because 75 years before i was born, what was originally self evident is clearly stated in the new testament, was absolutely invisible in the landscape to christian religion and science in agregate. Even though symbiosis is the fundemental narrative of the new testament. Creator had taken on the quality of being separated from creation in the philosophical musings at the university levels theologically. Its self deluding and isn't new testament it's symbiotic to cultural developmemt and nothing more. I call it normal. Dumb certainly but non the less normal. The new testament was not written by normals but written for normals.
so....if you believe in a Creator....
and God not having a physical body

does the word symbiosis still apply?

David T

Premium Member
so....if you believe in a Creator....
and God not having a physical body

does the word symbiosis still apply?
The inverse of that question is if you believe in the universiality of mathmatics as the dictator of laws imposed upon the physical, and that the dictator and the laws have no physical body does symbiosis apply? Hmmm universiality, the universe, the universities!!! Are they symbiotic terms?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
The inverse of that question is if you believe in the universiality of mathmatics as the dictator of laws imposed upon the physical, and that the dictator and the laws have no physical body does symbiosis apply? Hmmm universiality, the universe, the universities!!! Are they symbiotic terms?
I like numbers
but I do not believe they were used to form anything

From God's point of view....it would have to be philosophical
first a statement of existence....I AM!

which I reckon to be synonymous to ...Let there be light

David T

Premium Member
I like numbers
but I do not believe they were used to form anything

From God's point of view....it would have to be philosophical
first a statement of existence....I AM!

which I reckon to be synonymous to ...Let there be light
, lol, Thus the split between the humanities and science departments at the university level.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
If you believed that the truth of the universe was that it was meaningless and that human life was a mere accident is this a good enough reason to try and adopt a different set of beliefs?

If that perception was hard to reconcile with my previous/present beliefs? I suppose so.

Is It enough of a reason that someone who thinks all this is depressing and that existing would at least be a little bit better with belief in god even if that god doesn't exist to try and believe in a god?

I don't think so. There are very significant dangers in attempting to lie to oneself. And lies involving god-concepts are particularly nasty.

You could argue that belief in a god or anything supernatural won't help if it's forced. I would have to argue that I've seen people who at the very least live a better life on the outside when they pretend.

I guess I doubt the accuracy of your impression. Or perhaps I just wonder where they would be had they had proper support.

And I do know a few pretenders. What exactly would be the point in affirming nihilism and a meaningless universe?

Nihilism is by no means a necessary or even particularly likely consequence of disbelief in God's existence, nor of the acceptance of a lack of purpose in the universe.

But I suppose it may appear that way if we are told often and early that it is.

If these things are truly meaningless then why not adopt something that might make you feel better?

We should. But not by lying.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I

I don't think so. There are very significant dangers in attempting to lie to oneself. And lies involving god-concepts are particularly nasty.

We should. But not by lying.

so do that one thing most participants hesitate to do......choose

substance first?
of Spirit?

don't lie to yourself
it's one or the other

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
so do that one thing most participants hesitate to do......choose

substance first?
of Spirit?

don't lie to yourself
it's one or the other
I can't lie about a meaningless question, now can I?

You keep asking the same thing as if there were a choice in there, or an answer to be given.

There are not.

In fact, you do not even have a complete question in there.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I can't lie about a meaningless question, now can I?

You keep asking the same thing as if there were a choice in there, or an answer to be given.

There are not.

In fact, you do not even have a complete question in there.
really?

you avoid the simple choice....and claim to be honest?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Really.

There is no choice to be avoided, despite your insistence to the contrary, so yes, I am honest in that regard and have no reason to hesitate in saying so.
your lack of choice (which likely led to your lack of belief)
is noted