• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interpretation: "hidden" meaning - intended or invented?

PearlSeeker

This interpretation can apply to Bible and also other sacred writings, stories, myths...

By "hidden" I want to denote a meaning that is not apparent, spiritual, allegorical, symbolical, archetypal ...

What do you think about such interpretation?

Last edited:

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
This interpretation can apply to Bible and also other sacred writings, stories, myths...

By "hidden" I want to denote not a meaning that is not apparent, spiritual, allegorical, symbolical, archetypal ...

First we have to determine what methods are used to reach those conclusions. I would imagine that the validity is dependent upon whether the method is reliable.

PureX

Veteran Member
Allegory, symbolism, metaphor, etc., are literary tools humans use to convey ideas that are not otherwise able to be conveyed linguistically. It's the reason we humans engage in fiction, and poetry, and mythology, and song, and so on. As with all forms of language, interpretation is required for it to function. But some forms of linguistic communication require a more intuitive and sophisticated state of mind to interpret successfully, than others. And a bias against the message, or against what one presumes will be the message, makes that a very difficult state of mind for some people to achieve.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member

By "hidden" I want to denote a meaning that is not apparent, spiritual, allegorical, symbolical, archetypal ...

I'm not sure what you're asking. "Hidden" meanings, are simply things we cannot see because of obstacles in our minds. Remove the obstacles, and they are no long hidden. The are only "hidden" in plain sight, and when we remove the blinders, we see what was there the whole time, not actually hidden at all.

There is no intention behind this. That's simply the way it works. Example, Jesus said, "Having ears to hear, they do not hear". The words are not actually hidden. They just aren't heard. They in essence simply go over their heads. It's really a matter of having your radio tuner dialed in, or powered off.

MNoBody

any written format is metaphorically a MAP.... which is a rough guide, some better than others.
Their value is related to their subjective usefulness, so if the map helps one navigate then it is useful, if it got you lost then it is useless
but was that the fault of the map, or the one using the map?
were the icons clearly explained in the legend?
Did they mean what it was assumed they meant, or were there hidden meanings?
meaning that, the meanings were just not clear to you, maybe they were very clear to the one making the map and they didn't feel it necessary to include some explanation for things which to them were obvious.

Or maybe they wanted to conceal
Consider that the bible was written and used {KJV} by the British Empire, circulated throughout the realm, so that it could serve as a means of passing messages through cryptographic keys amongst the kings intelligencia. [notwithstanding all the other reasons it exists and is published so prolifically]

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
To have multiple meanings goes beyond scriptures. People in dictatorships use it t get messages past censors or for other purposes. Here's just one link of many: Hidden Meanings: Symbolism in Chinese Art

To think that this would not be part of scriptures is a mistake. To use the Bible as an example: 2 Corinthians 3:6 speaks to the letter "killeth" but the spirit giving life.

Or this from the Jewish tradition:

"People think the Torah is all about laws and rituals and quaint stories, with a mystical side as well.

In truth, the Torah is entirely spiritual. But when you cannot perceive the spiritual, all you see are laws and rituals and quaint stories."

Rabbi Tzvi Freeman

MNoBody

anecdotal info regarding Pardes-
In that context
Maimonides [in his book a guide for the perplexed.] gives a key by telling the story of Elisha Ben Avuya and Rabbi Akiva [whose considerable spiritual achievement was his capacity to abide in that place of uncertainty without jumping to hasty conclusions]

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
anecdotal info regarding Pardes-
In that context
Maimonides [in his book a guide for the perplexed.] gives a key by telling the story of Elisha Ben Avuya and Rabbi Akiva [whose considerable spiritual achievement was his capacity to abide in that place of uncertainty without jumping to hasty conclusions]

The ben Abuyah story is also an interesting one. If you have not yet read it, you might enjoy Steinberg's As a Driven Leaf. :)

PearlSeeker

First we have to determine what methods are used to reach those conclusions. I would imagine that the validity is dependent upon whether the method is reliable.
The method is generally called allegorical interpretation. Reliability depends on how it is used.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
The method is generally called allegorical interpretation. Reliability depends on how it is used.

I think i am aware of that. If it is what I am thinking of then it leads to multiple different possible interpretations and some that are definitely wrong.

InvestigateTruth

It is what the scripture claims! Jesus said, He was speaking figurative. You can find many references in Bible God speaks in dark sayings. Or, He speaks in a way no man can understand.

PearlSeeker

I'm not sure what you're asking. "Hidden" meanings, are simply things we cannot see because of obstacles in our minds. Remove the obstacles, and they are no long hidden. The are only "hidden" in plain sight, and when we remove the blinders, we see what was there the whole time, not actually hidden at all.

There is no intention behind this. That's simply the way it works. Example, Jesus said, "Having ears to hear, they do not hear". The words are not actually hidden. They just aren't heard. They in essence simply go over their heads. It's really a matter of having your radio tuner dialed in, or powered off.
We can see hidden (and plain) meaning everywhere. Human mind has a wonderful ability to see patterns and analogies. It's not limited to texts but here I want to discus allegory in text specifically.

I have to be more specific about what I meant with intended/invented. In some cases (e. g. in parables) it is obvious that author of the text intended it to be read allegorically. But allegory has many levels and facets. Some take it even further - finding allegories where author intended only a plain meaning or adding different/own allegories to a parable, for example random opening of the book and asking one self: what is this saying to me personally and my situation right in this moment? Not unlike some kind of divination tool or oracle.

I think all this is correct as long as one doesn't ascribe own allegories to writer's original intentions because this would lead to false interpretations. I hope my question is a little clearer now.