• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I had a bit of a small conversation with a guy who can't speak English well and me not speaking more than a handful of Spanish words. But he talked slower, I had some context to help get me along, and it was both interesting and fun (I've never had a conversation like that before).

I've only ever done one beginner Spanish course, so my skills and vocabulary aren't that great.

My go-to phrase in Spanish if I ever have a medical emergency in Mexico is "necesito uno médico. Soy alergico a los mariscos."

I'm not actually allergic to shellfish, but I feel like that phrase would get the urgency across without me having to figure out vocabulary in a crisis situation, and when the doctor gets there, they'll notice my broken arm or whatever is wrong.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Especially when you walk through doors. Doors have the magical property to make you forget why you went into that room. Retracing your steps can solve the problem.

The fridge door is the worst, 9 times out of 10 I can't remember why I opened it.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
I made it! But wasted my time, there was a million people and the shelves were picked clean. Everything is closed tomorrow on good Friday so everyone panics and buys 4 weeks of supplies because the shops are closed for 1 day :neutral:
Interesting indeed! Tomorrow is just Thursday here and nothing will be closed Friday. That's the U.S. Bible-belt for you. LOL

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
I've only ever done one beginner Spanish course, so my skills and vocabulary aren't that great.

My go-to phrase in Spanish if I ever have a medical emergency in Mexico is "necesito uno médico. Soy alergico a los mariscos."

I'm not actually allergic to shellfish, but I feel like that phrase would get the urgency across without me having to figure out vocabulary in a crisis situation, and when the doctor gets there, they'll notice my broken arm or whatever is wrong.
I love it! I'm just learning Spanish and I teach an ESL class of Mexican adults. They fall out laughing with some on my pronunciations since apparently it's quite easy to say rude and distasteful things by not getting your phonics right. LOL And I must share to all Americans -- never use our hand gesture for shame-on-you to a Mexican. That is NOT what it means South of the Border!

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
On the holiest of days in Christianity ...
Here in Germany, not only are stores closed, but parties and dancing are verboten.
I knew some Germans that said the noise laws are pretty strict over there. The no noise past a certain time I understood. However, the no noise on Sunday threw me off. Is it like that everywhere in Germany? (I'm not sure where they were at.)

Heyo

Veteran Member
I knew some Germans that said the noise laws are pretty strict over there. The no noise past a certain time I understood. However, the no noise on Sunday threw me off. Is it like that everywhere in Germany? (I'm not sure where they were at.)
Not everywhere, I can pretty much do what I want, but then, I live in a very rural area.