• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting

Heyo

Veteran Member
It's cool Almond milk: A medieval obsession — SECONDS | Food history

'Almond milk appears as an ingredient in pretty much every medieval European cookbook. In fact, it’s been claimed that it was the single most important ingredient in late medieval cookery.

But the almond and its milk weren’t cheap (some might say they could cost you an almond a leg). For much of northern Europe, which imported the nut from sunnier climes, it was a pricey, exotic ingredient that appeared mainly on the tables of the nobility.

While it wasn’t the cheapest food, the taste of almond milk may have been more prevalent than cow’s. Afterall, for most of history, people risked their health by drinking cow’s milk, which spoiled easily and could lead to a host of nasty diseases. Instead, most people consumed milk in the form of cheese and butter, or, where possible and affordable, used almond milk as an alternative.'

'Almond milk’s popularity in medieval Europe was in part down to the continent's Christian faith and the dietary restrictions that came with it. At various times of the year - including every Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and the 40 days of Lent - consuming dairy was forbidden. (As was eating meat and having sex.)

Almond milk offered a useful and tasty alternative. It could be added to a range of dishes in place of milk, allowing it to take centre stage in fast day dinners. It could even be turned into ‘almond cheese’ and a faux butter, by combining it with salt, sugar and vinegar (which, let’s be honest, sounds more wholesome than some of the dairy alternatives on offer today).'
I knew about almond milk. (I frequently cook medieval meals at medieval festivals.) What is interesting is, that there are yoghurt producing bacteria which can process almond milk.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I knew about almond milk. (I frequently cook medieval meals at medieval festivals.) What is interesting is, that there are yoghurt producing bacteria which can process almond milk.
Indeed, it's really interesting. I never would have thought it.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I made it! But wasted my time, there was a million people and the shelves were picked clean. Everything is closed tomorrow on good Friday so everyone panics and buys 4 weeks of supplies because the shops are closed for 1 day :neutral:
Will you search for roots and nuts now?