• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inglourious Basterds

Zephyr

Moved on
Eh my friends thought it was alright, but I don't really have any interest in it. Just doesn't seem that appealing of a movie.

A

angellous_evangellous

That`s it, I`m not seeing it.

haha

Well, I like movies about killing Nazi's as much as the next guy, and hearing pretty boy Brad Pitt try and sound like a Tennessee hillbilly is worth the price of admission.

BUT having a group of Jewish Americans throw the Geneva conventions out the window - not accepting surrender, desecrating dead bodies, and finally shooting men and women in the back trying to escape a burning building...

Not to say that the Nazi's don't deserve it...

But one of the greatest things about WWII is that America still had dignity, and this movie has none. Not to mention ... what does this say about Jews?

Panda

42?
Premium Member
It was AWESOME!!!!!

I mean it was outrageous enough that no one would believe it. The main characters were well developed. I really liked how it wasn't all in English and they just put in silly accents, instead when French people spoke it was in French and when Germans spoke was in German. It is a total must see for any Taranteno fan

A

angellous_evangellous

I did as well, but that makes it no less art. The good guys win in the end, yet one walks out of the theatre feeling not at all good about it, and feeling that way despite (or, perhaps, because of) the fact that none of the barbarism fully transcends justification.

I agree. I really liked some parts... and the plots were excellent.

It's a bloody masterpeice.

A

angellous_evangellous

I must admit I was having some trouble trying to link an articulate and learned biblical scholar with an insightful and acidic wit, to someone who enjoys violent, gory, and somewhat unintelligent movies.

Inglorious B. is a very intelligent movie. :shrug:

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
I did as well, but that makes it no less art. The good guys win in the end, yet one walks out of the theatre feeling not at all good about it, and feeling that way despite (or, perhaps, because of) the fact that none of the barbarism fully transcends justification.
This has been the point of almost every Tarentino movie.

d3vaLL

I didn't like it. Most of the main characters felt one-dimensional. All but Soshonna's character lacked an internal struggle, which was a great thing about Pulp Fiction. In Pulp Fiction, the long-winded dialogues were set up to relate to the characters by way a typical modern conversation. Since this movie was based during WWII, I couldn't relate, to the anecdotes, metaphors or culture- despite my awareness of all of them. Because of the overdrawn conversations the movie had no area to thicken the plot, add layering, or develop the main characters- at all. The tension scene was used nearly 5 times in the movie, with only one successful repeat in the tavern scene in my opinion. These scenes go on and on to curdle more tension but the over use with same dimension and the same character 3 times for nearly an hour of roundabout interrogation burns half this movie to death.

As far as ethical standards, or gratuitous gore/violence, you don't get Tarantino. Why did you see this movie? Secondly, inferring that this movie would stir racial tensions is absurd and highly frustrating. Why must people attach a racial tag to any fringe human experience. Your inability to relate to the callous behavior of Jews in this movie to the Holocaust- or at least publicly suggest that the legitimacy of their anger represented would be trumped by the possibility of disturbing the current "racial equality" is repulsive. Stop.