• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indisputable Proof That I Exist

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
P1 Socrates is a man
P2 All men are moral
C Socrates is mortal

If so then keep reading:

The Cogito
P1 I am thinking
P2 Whatever has the property of thinking, exists
C I exist

If P1 were not the case then its contradiction "I am not thinking" would be the case. However, this cannot be asserted coherently and so it cannot be the case. Therefore, P1 is the case.

P2 is an instance of the instantiation principle. If the instantiation principle were not the case then its contradiction "Whatever has the property S, does not exist" would be the case. However, this cannot be asserted coherently and so it cannot be the case. Therefore, P2 is the case.

The argument is in Disamis syllogistic form:
P1 Some A are B
P2 All B are C
C Therefore some A are C

Therefore the inference from P1 and P2 to C is valid.
Additionally, P1 and P2 are the case.
Therefore, The Cogito is sound.
Therefore, C is the case.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
P2 is an instance of the instantiation principle. If the instantiation principle were not the case then its contradiction "Whatever has the property S, does not exist" would be the case.
This is not the correct inverse of P2. The inverse of "All thinking things exist" is "There is some thinking thing which does not exist," not, "All thinking things do not exist."

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
This is not the correct inverse of P2. The inverse of "All thinking things exist" is "There is some thinking thing which does not exist," not, "All thinking things do not exist."
I "think" all of the arguments are here. I may not want to wrap my head around all of the permutaions again. Pay particular attention to Fluffy's arguments. She was the one who offered the only sound argument.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Congratulations on finally convincing yourself that you exist. Who knows what amazing feats you'll be able to accomplish now.

BruceDLimber

Sandy, you remind me of a math-professor friend of mine.

He used to go around asking the question, "How do I know I exist/"

And according to him, the correct answer was, "Who wants to know?"

:)

Bruce

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
And yet programming a system to ask that question is trivially easy. Your friend should stick to discussing math.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Sandy, you remind me of a math-professor friend of mine.
He used to go around asking the question, "How do I know I exist/"
And yet programming a system to ask that question is trivially easy. Your friend should stick to discussing math.
Which would mean the program exists...
But the program does not know this irrespective of how you answer the question.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
How do you know you're thinking? Maybe you just think you're thinking.

Wait, that would still mean that you were thinking.

Ok, you won that one. :yes:

Koldo

Outstanding Member
But the program does not know this irrespective of how you answer the question.

Whether that is true or not, or rather whether that could be false or not, is secondary to the argument, if i understood it correctly. The point is to estabilish that 'I exist'.

If i am a nothing but a program, then i am. I exist.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Whether that is true or not, or rather whether that could be false or not, is secondary to the argument, if i understood it correctly. The point is to estabilish that 'I exist'.
No. Given ...
He used to go around asking the question, "How do I know I exist?"
... the point was to establish the knowledge of existence.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
The arguments for the existence of "self", and the existence of "God" suffer from the same basic problem. Namely the lack of definition. Am "I" to be defined as that which thinks? Thoughts exist, but am I thought? If so them I am extremely ephemeral. By the time we have established that I exist, I don't.