• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indianapolis Catholic School Will Fire Gay Teacher to Avoid Upsetting the Church

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
I actually agree.
I don't think that religious organizations like this should be required to accept things that they don't want to accept.
I also think that they should be stripped of their tax advantages and compete in the free market of ideas and support.

But they want it both ways.
Tom

Gay people also can have biological children.

Only with the help of the opposite sex

Could same-sex couples soon conceive a child with both their DNA?

Yes....a lesbian could be impregnated by artificial insemination with sperm from a gay donor.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
I actually agree.
I don't think that religious organizations like this should be required to accept things that they don't want to accept.
I also think that they should be stripped of their tax advantages and compete in the free market of ideas and support.

But they want it both ways.
Tom

I agree...The Church should not get preferential tax treatment if they refuse to employ openly gay people.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Yes....a lesbian could be impregnated by artificial insemination with sperm from a gay donor.
I don't think you realize how many kids gay people have, the old fashioned way.
My partner Doug has 4. 4 who survived long enough to have more kids.* He's got a whole flock of grandkids.
Tom

*His oldest daughter was killed by a drunk driver and only left one surviving child.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Now you're just parroting my own posts.
I'm OK with that.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
To go by what I know as a socially conservative, really, truly, they can bugger off because they will NOT extend the same walking on eggshells bs. Indiana especially, they concern themselves with things that are of no concern to them, theh want discrimination as a legal right, and they dont care if they annoy, offend, or hurt someone.

I don't like anybody getting hurt I think in the case where a gay person is working for a socially conservative employer..."don't ask..don't tell" keeps both sides from getting hurt.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I don't like anybody getting hurt I think in the case where a gay person is working for a socially conservative employer..."don't ask..don't tell" keeps both sides from getting hurt.
How is anybody getting hurt by finding out that their coworker is gay?
Tim

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
From my experience in Indiana, so many of them are fundamentally incapable of the "dont ask" part. To them, its more like " do ask, do find out, and do tell the world."

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
And even if they don't ask, they give unfriendly stares, call you names no Christian has any business uttering, and treat you like a leaper. And that's just based on appearances.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
So economically forcing organisations to act against its core beliefs is fine in your book

Sounds like totalitarianism to me
How is requiring the Church to do things the way everyone else does "economically forcing" them to do anything?
Pay your taxes and you can do anything you want. Expect the rest of us to take the load for you and our opinions start to matter

Tom

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
So economically forcing organisations to act against its core beliefs is fine in your book

The purpose of government is to provide law and order in society.They recognize that people have different beliefs, and should operate in order to protect the citizens from unnecessary conflicts that may arise from these beliefs. Another way to consider their role would be to see government as a necessary body to provide the infrastructure with which we can pursue our “happiness” as defined by our social beliefs. To succeed in this role, government must meet two main requirements; first, they need the resources to provide such infrastructure and second, they need to take into consideration all relevant interests under their mandate.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

I would have to say the Church is already wonderfully going against its own core values. They do not render unto Ceasar that which is Ceasar's, they do not practice not being of this world, they have massive beams in their eyes and point out the splinter in others, and they expect to get to play by a different set of rules. There is nothing totalitarian about making them play by the same rules everybody else does.

Darkforbid

How is requiring the Church to do things the way everyone else does "economically forcing" them to do anything?
Pay your taxes and you can do anything you want. Expect the rest of us to take the load for you and our opinions start to matter

Tom
You should start by noting that Catholic charity work is extensive and widely considered a crucial part of the nation’s social safety net. By itself, Catholic Charities USA, has more than 2,500 local agencies that serve 10 million people annually, 34 percent of all nonprofit social-service charity.

Tax charity? What a brilliant move

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You should start by noting that Catholic charity work is extensive and widely considered a crucial part of the nation’s social safety net. By itself, Catholic Charities USA, has more than 2,500 local agencies that serve 10 million people annually, 34 percent of all nonprofit social-service charity.

Tax charity? What a brilliant move
That doesn't excuse their immoral, reprehensible, and even illegal activities. If they want tax benefits, they need to play by the same rules we all do. If they still want to have special rules, they can face the full legal consequences they fully deserve.

Darkforbid

That doesn't excuse their immoral, reprehensible, and even illegal activities. If they want tax benefits, they need to play by the same rules we all do. If they still want to have special rules, they can face the full legal consequences they fully deserve.

So you think imposing your moral beliefs on others is fine. As it goes the CC now allows Gay priests as long as they follow the same rules