• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indianapolis Catholic School Will Fire Gay Teacher to Avoid Upsetting the Church

ecco

Veteran Member
Why did you quote the above but omit what I said immediately afterward about companies being sued?

Again, you purposely misrepresent what I was saying, and that is being dishonest. So, I have no interest in discussing much of anything with a person who acts in such a disingenuous manner.

Here is your entire post...

We don't punish organizations-- we punish people in organizations that commit crimes. OTOH, the exception is when an organization may be sued for what some people may do within an organization that harms others, and the CC in various diocese has indeed been sued.

Therefore, to blame an entire organization for what a small minority has done is unethical. It's like blaming an entire family when there's only one of them that has done an injustice.

Key points...
  1. "We don't punish organizations - we punish people"
  2. "the exception"
  3. "to blame an entire organization for what a small minority has done is unethical"

Point one is patently wrong. Mostly it is companies that are found in violation. Executives rarely get punished.

The "exception", point 2, is not an exception. A company can't be fined/blamed for what it did, it gets fined/blamed for what (some of) its employees did.

Point 3 makes no sense. As I wrote...

So when a drug company falsely advertises the benefits of a drug, we should just fine the marketing division. Uh huh, That'll work.

I did not misrepresent what you said. However, if you want to ignore me, I'm OK with that.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Then why did you post...

...if you weren't the person feeling uncomfortable?
Reminds me of all those people I knew in Indiana who are uncomfortable and offended by interracial couplings. Does anyone outside of that group think we should be concerned about their paper thin glass feelings?

Shad

Veteran Member
OOO)HHHH.... So you prefer that the Japanese continue killing children, babies, raping women for an extended time ASSUMING they couldn't counter attack...

OK..

I'm just glad you aren't God.

The bombs were used to force a surrender before the Soviet invasion. It works out better for Japan in the end preventing another Korea.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Then why did you post...

...if you weren't the person feeling uncomfortable

I know people who think persons should not be identified by sexual orientation; that is something neither to be ashamed nor proud of.

ecco

Veteran Member
Then why did you post...
Maybe I'm stuck back in the 90's, but what was so immoral about neither putting a gay person on the spot by a sexual inquisition nor making anybody feel uncomfortable being around an openly gay co-worker?
...if you weren't the person feeling uncomfortable?

I know people who think persons should not be identified by sexual orientation; that is something neither to be ashamed nor proud of.

You are trying to tap dance around your original comment and my question.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Here is your entire post...

Key points...
  1. "We don't punish organizations - we punish people"
  2. "the exception"
  3. "to blame an entire organization for what a small minority has done is unethical"

Point one is patently wrong. Mostly it is companies that are found in violation. Executives rarely get punished.

The "exception", point 2, is not an exception. A company can't be fined/blamed for what it did, it gets fined/blamed for what (some of) its employees did.

Point 3 makes no sense. As I wrote...

So when a drug company falsely advertises the benefits of a drug, we should just fine the marketing division. Uh huh, That'll work.

I did not misrepresent what you said. However, if you want to ignore me, I'm OK with that.
This is my post #117 in its entirety:
We don't punish organizations-- we punish people in organizations that commit crimes. OTOH, the exception is when an organization may be sued for what some people may do within an organization that harms others, and the CC in various diocese has indeed been sued.

Therefore, to blame an entire organization for what a small minority has done is unethical. It's like blaming an entire family when there's only one of them that has done an injustice.

Notice the exception that I underlined above.

ecco

Veteran Member
OTOH, the exception is when an organization may be sued for what some people may do within an organization that harms others, and the CC in various diocese has indeed been sued.

Notice the exception that I underlined above.

Do you understand the meaning of the word "exception"? What you are referring to: organization may be sued for what some people may do, is not an exception, it is the norm.

My point all along is that the norm is that when people do wrong, their companies get fined (punished). The norm is that the people responsible rarely get punished.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Do you understand the meaning of the word "exception"? What you are referring to: organization may be sued for what some people may do, is not an exception, it is the norm.

My point all along is that the norm is that when people do wrong, their companies get fined (punished). The norm is that the people responsible rarely get punished.
You are twisting what I posted to fit your whim, plus you really don't know what you're talking about since lawsuits that could be filed very often aren't, and for various reasons.

End of "discussion".