• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indianapolis Catholic School Will Fire Gay Teacher to Avoid Upsetting the Church

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
I wasn't aware he told on himself. Inquiring minds would like to know how you know.

Gay-marriages are public information, if he wouldn't have gotten involved with that, then I suppose he'd still have his job. In a sense, he did tell on himself when he got married to somebody of the same sex.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Gay-marriages are public information, if he wouldn't have gotten involved with that, then I suppose he'd still have his job. In a sense, he did tell on himself when he got married to somebody of the same sex.
If a Jewish person is uncomfortable around Christians, should the Christian be required to pretend not to be? If a black person is uncomfortable around white people, is that a problem for her white coworker?
Jews and blacks have much better reasons for being uncomfortable around people who represent bigotry and historical discrimination than a straight guy does having a gay coworker. Even the military got over that nonsense.
Tom

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Outraged?
Write the Pope in Rome.

Then to avoid upset, if you're feeling that, consider doing this instead. Ask yourself why an atheist would seek out "news" reports that put Christians, the church, Jesus, God, in a bad light? And then post them here so as to watch you all reply behind your own bias; anti-theist or theist.

Answer: Because they like it. They feed off of putting a dark light on white light faith. Exclusively, as you'll see in their post history, Christian.

Then ask yourself if it is rational in the least that someone who self-identifies as atheist, denies God exists, or there is proof of any sort of supreme being, to pay any attention at all to articles pertaining to a subject (God) which they themselves first believe does not exist.

Consider this analogy along that line:

Atheist Affirmation: God does not exist!
Atheist Behavior: Look how bad God and his believers look doing this, and this, and this here, and that, and this from a week ago. Thoughts?

God isn't there so we believers are delusional.
OK.
Now consider the delusion of someone who affirms God isn't there and then fixates on putting something that doesn't exist under scrutiny using negative reporting?
That, actually, is a good post.

If a person of faith believes that marriage is between a man and a woman, why would they promote in a leadership position a homosexual? Would the LGBT put in a position in authority someone who didn't believe that marriage can be between same sex? I doubt it very much.

So the question is whether @Skwim is actually using a double standard and your questions to him are quite good.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
If a person of faith believes that marriage is between a man and a woman, why would they promote in a leadership position a homosexual?
Two things:
One is that a teacher is there to teach a subject(s), and if that teacher is not teaching theology, what's the problem? Many teachers in Catholic schools are not Catholic, for example.

Secondly, we now know that being homosexual is not really a choice but is biology according to the research by geneticists. Now, what one may do with their homosexuality is indeed a choice.

Therefore, if one believes God made everyone, and if Joe and Mary are homosexuals, then are we to blame God for this? IMO, no. If we truly believe that God is also the God of Love, then maybe we should accept that this is the way God made them, thus let us not discriminate against them.

OTOH, churches and other religious institutions do have the right to teach and abide by what they may believe.

I really like arguing with myself.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
That, actually, is a good post.

If a person of faith believes that marriage is between a man and a woman, why would they promote in a leadership position a homosexual? Would the LGBT put in a position in authority someone who didn't believe that marriage can be between same sex? I doubt it very much.

So the question is whether @Skwim is actually using a double standard and your questions to him are quite good.
Are you a True Christian?

The reason I ask is because your post makes clear the incompatibility of Christian values and US values. "Equality before the law" is an American value. The right to discriminate is a Christian value.

I understand that Christianity teaches that and always has. From the slavery and genocide the country was Founded on, to modern forms of bigotry, this country has always been a schizophrenic mix of mutually exclusive ethics.
Luckily for me, it's moved towards the Enlightenment values, and away from the Scriptural values. Sorry that you don't like that.
Tom

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
If a Jewish person is uncomfortable around Christians, should the Christian be required to pretend not to be? If a black person is uncomfortable around white people, is that a problem for her white coworker?
Jews and blacks have much better reasons for being uncomfortable around people who represent bigotry and historical discrimination than a straight guy does having a gay coworker. Even the military got over that nonsense.
Tom

Nobody has to reveal his/her religious beliefs or sexual orientation in the work place, these matters can be kept private. One's sexuality and religion are personal matters, imo, which appropriately should only be know among close personal friends or family members.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Nobody has to reveal his/her religious beliefs or sexual orientation in the work place, these matters can be kept private. One's sexuality and religion are personal matters, imo, which appropriately should only be know among close personal friends or family members.

But if a person lets it slip that they are Christian or gay, do you think it's their problem? Do people who feel uncomfortable around them have a reason to get rid of them?
That's what "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" was all about.
Tom

Darkforbid

But if a person lets it slip that they are Christian or gay, do you think it's their problem? Do people who feel uncomfortable around them have a reason to get rid of them?
That's what "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" was all about.
Tom

Yep, it's not a case of people feeling uncomfortable. It's the endangerment of funding and support

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
What rubbish. I guess no one should wear wedding bands or have pictures of their kids or spouse up at their workplace, either. Pregnant women shouldn't be allowed to work at all, according to your views.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
What rubbish. I guess no one should wear wedding bands or have pictures of their kids or spouse up at their workplace, either. Pregnant women shouldn't be allowed to work at all, according to your views.

Pictures of kids doesn't reveal a person's sexual orientation, gay people also can have biological children. A wedding ring doesn't reveal if a person is in a gay or traditional marriage. Pregnant women could have been artificially inseminated, so a pregnant women doesn't necessarily mean the impregnated person is straight. Hence, I would not object to any of your aforementioned scenarios.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Pictures of kids doesn't reveal a person's sexual orientation, gay people also can have biological children. A wedding ring doesn't reveal if a person is in a gay or traditional marriage. Pregnant women could have been artificially inseminated, so a pregnant women doesn't necessarily mean the impregnated person is straight. Hence, I would not object to any of your aforementioned scenarios.
You seem to believe that irrational homophobes should have more rights than gay people.
Why is that?
Tom

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
You seem to believe that irrational homophobes should have more rights than gay people.
Why is that?
Tom

All I'm just saying is gay people or sexually promiscuous straight people for that matter should be discrete about their sexuality when they are working around socially conservative people.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I'll I'm saying is gay people should be discrete about their sexuality when they are working around socially conservative people.
Why?
Because socially conservative people(I consider myself to be one) can't do their job in the face of diversity? I don't think so, in fact your making them sound like the Berkley Antifa who just cannot abide someone who doesn't think the way they do.
Tom

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Why?
Because socially conservative people(I consider myself to be one) can't do their job in the face of diversity? I don't think so, in fact your making them sound like the Berkley Antifa who just cannot abide someone who doesn't think the way they do.
Tom

I don't object to same-sex marriage, but the Church and other religious organizations consider marriage to be a sacred bond strictly between a man and woman ; imo, employees of the Church or their sponsored organizations should respect their employers' conservative social values.

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Look, I hate homophobia and the church, but it has to be asked; why the hell would they want to work for them in the first place?

Next we're going to hear about a black man being fired from a Ku Klux Klan owned company called Combustible Cross Co.

There are many gay members of the Catholic Church. I am sure that some of them became teachers and thought that it would be a good thing it they worked in a Catholic private school. Not too many black men are born into KKK families.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I don't object to same-sex marriage, but the Church and other religious organizations consider marriage to be a sacred bond strictly between a man and woman ; imo, employees of the Church or their sponsored organizations should respect their employers' conservative social values.
I actually agree.
I don't think that religious organizations like this should be required to accept things that they don't want to accept.
I also think that they should be stripped of their tax advantages and compete in the free market of ideas and support.

But they want it both ways.
Tom

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
All I'm just saying is gay people or sexually promiscuous straight people for that matter should be discrete about their sexuality when they are working around socially conservative people.
To go by what I know as a socially conservative, really, truly, they can bugger off because they will NOT extend the same walking on eggshells bs. Indiana especially, they concern themselves with things that are of no concern to them, theh want discrimination as a legal right, and they dont care if they annoy, offend, or hurt someone.